Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airen21

My baby roses

Airen21
10 years ago

hello,

just wanted to show you guys my roses and maybe get your opinion on how it looks, things that could improve.
i have a concern regarding the color of the new growth on one of the plants but mostly just wanted to share, theres only 2 of the minis with little flowers, i tend to pick the buds off for at least 10 months after i planted them, to help them get established.

also i got a bottle of SuperThrive, and i was wondering if this might be a good little pick me up for the new plants to help them settle in.

thank you for looking!

Airen

Ps:sorry about the multiple posts, im not quite sure how to post multiple pics in one post.

Comments (18)

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is the rest.

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

you can see a mini green lizard just hanging out on the leaves.

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

on a normal sized rose.

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

new growth, leaf discoloration and warped.

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lovely pink rose

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is another, what do you think about these leaves?

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and last.

thank you for looking, thoughts? i welcome all comments, this is my second go at a rose garden, with very limited resources but a very open heart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manga Airen`s Flower Garden

• socks
    10 years ago

Are these the little giftable roses that you have rehabilitated? What I think are the minis (first pics you posted) look good to me. Not sure about the discolored growth. Many times new growth is red-ish. Are the bushes getting plenty of sun?

Pick the blooms off for 10 months? You don't need to do that. You are cheating yourself of the enjoyment of the flowers! The roses will be ok.

You could feed them unless you just potted them up in potting soil which has food (like Miracle Grow). Don't know about SuperThrive as I have never used it.

Others may differ with me on the above, but that's my 2 cents.

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ill take `em! thank you for looking!

yes these are the roses im trying to rehabilitate, they are in full sun, but afternoon sun here can be extreme, some plants wilt a little and some just burn, the roses are just in between.

i was told to pick off the blooms so that they can grow roots, but im all for the blooms staying on if its no issue!
    they arent potted in anything fertilized, i got a bottle of Neptunes fish emulsion fertilizer but i havent used any yet.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

A LOT of roses have red new growth. That is normal. If the leaves are very narrow and twisted or distorted that is not normal and a symptom of a very bad infectious virus called Rose Rosette Disease or RRD. It is spread by a mite and is not curable. Roses that contract it should be destroyed immediately to prevent the spread of the disease. Your leaves do not show this as far as I can tell. The spots on the one could be black spot or maybe spray burn if it's been very hot where you are. The whitish powdery stuff on another one is probably powdery mildew. But for the most part those look like pretty healthy, growing roses.

The dis-budding of new roses really is more for the small band roses that are now being shipped. Those are usually very small newly rooted cuttings so dis-budding does help the plant to concentrate on establishing a good root ball before it has to feed more top growth. If yours were potted, growing roses when you got them they probably don't need to be dis-budded.

• socks
    10 years ago

You'll have to keep a close eye on those in clay pots as they can dry out pretty fast. You are probably doing that. Also if one is in a black plastic pot in the sun, the roots can get pretty hot as the black holds the heat. Maybe move it behind another pot to keep direct sun off. Sounds like you are really enjoying your roses.

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice
    I will be covering that black plastic. I try to check every day to see if they need to be watered.I absolutely adore the roses cant wait to see them grow.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

They are sneaky. They grow as soon as you stop looking.

Enjoy! :)

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the advice
    I will be covering that black plastic. I try to check every day to see if they need to be watered.I absolutely adore the roses cant wait to see them grow.