Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Expected size for these roses in zone5

trovesoftrilliums
10 years ago

I'd appreciate any input on expected size for these roses in zone 5 (I'm in SE Iowa) as I try to figure out where to place them in the garden:

Eutin (2plants)
Prairie Harvest
Iowa Belle -- Iobelle
Were purchased this year from roses unlimited.

Sweet Intoxication
Purchased locally 2 years ago and they have been limping along in a poor spot. I put them in pots this spring (doing better) and am looking for a final in ground spot for them.

I am wondering where to squeeze these plants into my garden. Are they really likely to get 4 ft wide in this zone?

Any other rose advice appreciated. I have mostly gardened in the desert SW and have grown very few roses in general. I also own one knockout rose and planted a william baffin last year (I expect this rose to get huge--I have seen it growing locally and wow what a giant!) planted along a back fence.

Comments (5)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Years ago when I lived in Nebraska (also zone 5), I had a hedgerow of 13 Eutins along the property line. They were not in full sun all day and were probably not watered and fed with any regularity since those were the first roses I ever planted and I did not have a clue what I was doing. Given those circumstances, the Eutins grew about 2.5x2.5.

With better care, I don't know if they would have grown bigger, but I've always been impressed with how tough Eutin is since the gardener (me) didn't do a lot to assist them. They sure were lovely when they bloomed, however, and I have always had at least one Eutin in every garden I've had since then (covering several states).

Here in zone 6 KS, my Eutins were beginning to reach the 3.5 to 4 ft height and width. For some reason that escapes me, I thought I wanted them smaller and one year pruned them rather severely. Didn't kill them, but they didn't like that treatment and limped along for several years. Just this year, one of them is getting back to the 3.5 fullness, but the second one is still hanging in there at about 2.5 to 3 ft. But I'm happy to report that these tough roses don't give up and both of them, as they move into their second bloom cycle of the year, are putting out lots of new growth.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• trovesoftrilliums
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kate. The size of your Eutins is useful. I am trying to decide if I should fit the roses in where I can or if I should start a new bed. My soil is very dense so a new bed means trips for compost, etc. I might go stab some earth with a shovel to rest out a few potential spots. :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The only one I have is Iobelle. It gets about 3 x 3 feet in a good year. It's not the most winter hardy so use protection for it. It's black spot prone too so if you want perfect leaves you'll have to spray it. Otherwise it's a lovely bloom with some fragrance and a fair repeat time.

• trovesoftrilliums
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seil. I think I will place iobelle off to the side a bit so any foliage issues won't be right in my face. Good to know.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I agree with Kate that Eutin is a very hardy good reblooming rose for zone 5 and colder. Mine is in my zone 4 pocket, and it definitely wants to be wider than it is tall. Mine's about 4 years old and I'd call it waist high with a spreading habit not quite an arm's distance, which makes Kate's measurements pretty representative of mine too (didn't remember you were a Cornhusker Kate!)

I also bought my Iobelle from Roses Unlimited, and I have to agree with Seil that it's one of the least hardy Bucks I've grown. It died a pretty rapid death after its first winter, and I do winter protect. You might consider a warmer zone pocket in your yard or keep it in a pot and take it into an unheated protected space for the winter. Prairie Harvest is a more traditional Buck and should survive fine in zone 5 in the ground. I get the various "Prairie" Bucks mixed up a bit, but I'd say it's probably 4 feet tall and not too wide, perhaps 2.5 feet.

Sweet Intoxication is one that has failed to overwinter for me once already, but that might have been from a weak plant (it sounds like you're having the same problem). In general, I find that if hybrid teas like that survive they're not as tall or wide as indicated on HMF usually, at least in my zone 5. That's the one on your list that's most liable to stay relatively narrow, if you're trying to place it in an existing spot - my guess would be 4 feet tall by 2.5 feet wide again, but it's only a guess since it's a pretty weak plant for me.

Have fun and let us know how they do!

Cynthia

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals