Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pink eden no roses blooming

Posted by welltraveled z5Mid Mich (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 11:04

More questions on my pink eden rose that has tons of new growth and no roses

I have noticed that every leaf cluster has 7 leaves none with the normal 3 to 5 leaflets

Is this the reason no roses???? If so, is there anything I can do for it to bloom????

It is my most favorite rose of over 40 David Austins I have slaved over for over 13 years

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pink eden no roses blooming

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 11:08

are these the same canes that were there last year that bloomed? Or are they new canes that are possibly root stock suckers?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:16

Going along with hoovb's question, did you have to prune this rose very severally down to nothing this spring because of winter die back?

o

They are not Dr Huey all are growing above the graft.
Yes they had die back to within about 6 inches from ground.. All of my roses had severe die back from the awful winter

o

I have had two Eden roses and one of them gave me 1-2 blooms per year (own root) and the other blooms very well.

They came from different nurseries. I have had success with both nurseries so I don't think it has anything to do with that, except that perhaps the one nursery had a dud for rooting. Otherwise, I have no idea but to tell you the truth I got rid of the nonbloomer after about 7 years but the one that blooms well does love some fertilizer now.

o

I'm not sure what Pink Eden is. There is no such named rose, as far as I know.

If you are talking about the climbing rose also known as 'Pierre de Ronsard,' then I can generally observe that a number of posters have complained that it is not very floriferous. Mine usually had a lovely spring flush and then more limited re-bloom the rest of the season, sometimes with long rest periods between bloomings. Some posters complained their Eden was essentially a one-season (spring) bloomer with no re-bloom at all.

I'm wondering also if this rose resents severe pruning. Mine was getting rather overgrown and the canes really thick and inflexible, so I tried a severe pruning--to encourage new growth. It did put out some new growth, but it didn't appear very happy and made almost no progress during the next couple years--didn't even get tall enough to "climb" anything and produced no blooms. So I finally spaded it and planted a new one--which also is not growing very fast but at least looks very healthy and thriving. Hopefully by next spring I'll get the big show-piece that Eden always was in the past. No more severe pruning of Eden, however--at least in my yard.

Kate

o

My Eden has always been a sulker, if you prune it severely or move it it usually wont bloom that year, but next year barring similar problems it should bloom again.
roseberri

o

Mine normally bloomed well (for Eden), but it had to grow back from the roots this year due to the unusual winter, and hasn't bloomed yet. The growth is really nice, fat and strong --better than it was before-- so that's good! But not even one bud yet on all that strong new growth, no.

o

Thanks for all the input.. This rose is on an arbor and has bloomed for about 7 years with lots of blooms and was a good rebloomer.. I will be patient and see what appears next year
Still wondering if the number of leaves on each cluster means anything? I usually like to dead head back to a cluster with 5 leaves and have never seen the 7 leaf cluster before

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here