Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
welltraveled

pink eden no roses blooming

welltraveled
9 years ago

More questions on my pink eden rose that has tons of new growth and no roses

I have noticed that every leaf cluster has 7 leaves none with the normal 3 to 5 leaflets

Is this the reason no roses???? If so, is there anything I can do for it to bloom????

It is my most favorite rose of over 40 David Austins I have slaved over for over 13 years

Comments (12)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

are these the same canes that were there last year that bloomed? Or are they new canes that are possibly root stock suckers?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Going along with hoovb's question, did you have to prune this rose very severally down to nothing this spring because of winter die back?

• welltraveled
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are not Dr Huey all are growing above the graft.
    Yes they had die back to within about 6 inches from ground.. All of my roses had severe die back from the awful winter

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I have had two Eden roses and one of them gave me 1-2 blooms per year (own root) and the other blooms very well.

They came from different nurseries. I have had success with both nurseries so I don't think it has anything to do with that, except that perhaps the one nursery had a dud for rooting. Otherwise, I have no idea but to tell you the truth I got rid of the nonbloomer after about 7 years but the one that blooms well does love some fertilizer now.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what Pink Eden is. There is no such named rose, as far as I know.

If you are talking about the climbing rose also known as 'Pierre de Ronsard,' then I can generally observe that a number of posters have complained that it is not very floriferous. Mine usually had a lovely spring flush and then more limited re-bloom the rest of the season, sometimes with long rest periods between bloomings. Some posters complained their Eden was essentially a one-season (spring) bloomer with no re-bloom at all.

I'm wondering also if this rose resents severe pruning. Mine was getting rather overgrown and the canes really thick and inflexible, so I tried a severe pruning--to encourage new growth. It did put out some new growth, but it didn't appear very happy and made almost no progress during the next couple years--didn't even get tall enough to "climb" anything and produced no blooms. So I finally spaded it and planted a new one--which also is not growing very fast but at least looks very healthy and thriving. Hopefully by next spring I'll get the big show-piece that Eden always was in the past. No more severe pruning of Eden, however--at least in my yard.

Kate

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

My Eden has always been a sulker, if you prune it severely or move it it usually wont bloom that year, but next year barring similar problems it should bloom again.
    roseberri

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Mine normally bloomed well (for Eden), but it had to grow back from the roots this year due to the unusual winter, and hasn't bloomed yet. The growth is really nice, fat and strong --better than it was before-- so that's good! But not even one bud yet on all that strong new growth, no.

• welltraveled
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input.. This rose is on an arbor and has bloomed for about 7 years with lots of blooms and was a good rebloomer.. I will be patient and see what appears next year
    Still wondering if the number of leaves on each cluster means anything? I usually like to dead head back to a cluster with 5 leaves and have never seen the 7 leaf cluster before

• mifarmchic
    8 years ago

Hi everyone! New to this forum but everyone seems so knowledgeable. Feel free to chime in on this one. Welltraveled-I am in zone 5 mid mich also and am trying to grow the eden rose for the first time. It's my first rose so all of this is new to me. Do you do anything to help it winter? Cover or mulch over? Haven't planted it yet, debating on a spot. Does it spread out much and how much climbing do you get?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

There is a Pink Eden Climber just being introduced, and a thread recently discussed it with the man who discovered Pink Eden (patent name is Margaret Mae, or something similar; named for his mother). I don't think he hybridized this rose, so it may have been a sport. It's on HMF with a few recent photos. It's being sold by Meilland, and they are starting European sales and on to Japan, I guess. Diane

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

Yes, Pretty in Pink Eden is a sport of Eden. The exhibition name is Margaret Mae, named after the discoverer's mother.

• patricianat
    7 years ago

None of my roses bloomed well, even in spring when they were supposed to have that wonderful flush. Not sure what it was. I fed them well. I always do. No, no Roundup this time. Ha ha. On my anniversary which just passed, I usually have a big rose bloom time but not this year. Just not sure if it is weather or I am not holding my mouth or the garden hose right when I water them.