Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbaron_gw

Need help with this rose bush! It's out of control!

tbaron
10 years ago

Hello!
I'm a new rose bush owner. I planted this bush as a tiny 12 inch tall stick with just a few leaves. It's grown into a VERY tall and lanky thing. It's only been planted for 2 summers. I have never trimmed it because I didn't know if I should... Well anyways, this last spring it just took off and grew so very much. It was look fabulous, even though it was tall. It even bloomed for the first time! And then we had a storm with high winds that knocked a bunch of the stalks over. But it didn't actually break them, so we got some wook stakes to hold them up. I assume since the leaves are still green and growing the stalks are healing. In the process the whole thing has just grown so tall now that it is out of control. It looks like an octopus now. It is very thorny and also the leaves are rolling up on themselves. Most, not all though. What do I need to do with this? Can I just cut it all down and let it regrow? Will that kill it? I want it to be a nice bush. I don't really want it to climb the house like it's trying to do. Help!

Comments (12)

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Do you know the variety and name of the rose? If not, can you describe what the blooms looked like?

• nickl
    10 years ago

It would certainly help to know the specific variet6y name.

Just speaking generically, it appears to be a climber or a rambler, although some old roses also feature long, arching canes. How you would handle the training depends to a great extent on the type of rose it is, which is best determined by knowing the specific variety.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

You certainly can cut back those long canes--to about the same height as the other canes. That might make the bush look a bit more "civilized" --LoL.

However, if it is a rambler or a climber by nature, it is going to keep on trying to reach out and grow those canes as long as the bush is genetically programed to grow its canes. In which case, why fight nature? Put up a big (and very sturdy) arbor or trellis behind it --maybe one that extends horizontally--and tie up those long canes to it. The more horizontal the canes are tied/grow, the more "laterals" (smaller side branches) it will make--which is good since those laterals are usually what actually produced the blooms.

I agree with the other posters--it would be easier to advise if we had some idea what kind of rose it is. Let me ask just two simple questions--did it produce an attractive deep red bloom with few petals on it (called a "single") in the spring time? And does it bloom only in the springtime? If you said yes to both those questions, you probably are growing rootstock called Dr. Huey.

Kate

• tbaron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies!!!

Here are some pictures of the blooms. I am unsure what it is called, I will ask my husband and get back with you on the name! It has only bloomed once and that was in May or early June. If it is a climber, but I'd like it to stay shorter, can I just keep it trimmed down without risking it's health? Also, can anyone tell me what is up with the curling in of its leaves? Thank you SO much!!

• tbaron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

That is 'Dr. Huey', which is rootstock. At one time there was likely another rose grafted onto that rootstock. The other rose died and you are left with 'Dr. Huey'.

Many people like 'Dr. Huey' and don't mind that it blooms only once a year. It is actually a climbing rose, not a shrub rose.

The important thing for you to know is that 'Dr. Huey' blooms only on the previous year's growth. SO, if you prune it too much, you are cutting off next year's flowers. If you want to keep it, training it onto a sturdy trellis or tower would allow it to get large and you would then have an impressive spring show.

• tbaron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow. That's crazy! Makes sense because we bought it at Big Lots for like $2. I really don't mind, the flowers were really pretty. Stinks that it's only once a year though... And I really don't want it to climb. We just don't have the room to let it do that. It's right be our front door and it's already growing over in front of my kitchen window. It's just not in a good spot to be a climber.

I just don't know what to do with it... If I leave it and just trim it up, it'll likely never bloom again because it'll always be trimmed... But I was so proud of it and so I'd hate to just dig it up. It's way too big for us to safely transfer it.

Advice on what to do now? Should we just try to trim it and see what happens? Or should I just take a deep breath and say my goodbyes to it lol.

Thanks everyone!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If you want a rose that blooms only once a year in the spring, then keep Dr. Huey--if you don't mind the severe case of blackspot it will get after it is done blooming.

I suspect most gardeners want roses that will re-bloom several times throughout the gardening season and that won't be devastated by blackspot. Those gardeners will get rid of Dr. Huey as quickly as possible and then enjoy browsing through all the catalogs until they find a disease-resistant rose that visually appeals to them--and perhaps has a fragrance they like also.

It's up to you which camp you join. Lately, I've been recommending the Austin rose Munstead Woods--it will get about 3x3 or maybe 4x3 and produces the most beautiful blooms and it will repeat all summer long. And it is disease-resistant.
    {{gwi:215625}}

Why grow once-bloomer Dr. Huey when you can grow repeat-bloomer Munstead Wood? : )

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I agree with you, Kate, that Munstead Wood is a winner. The blooms are gorgeous, and it keeps on blooming with no let up (and mine is a brand new rose). As a bonus, MW's fragrance is outstanding. Diane

• tbaron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking you all are right... I will probably dig it up... :( Not happily, though.

If I dig it up, do I have to make sure all the roots are removed from the dirt? I don't completely understand how Dr. Huey develops (did a little Google reading though) and don't want to risk any new plant I put in its place...

• tbaron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also wanted to add, I just looked up what zone I live in. It's 6 (I think?! I live in north eastern Oklahoma.) I need to look for plants that fit this zone number, right? I had no idea there was so much more to taking care of a rose bush than just planting it and watering it. Diseases, Dr. Huey, and zone preferences, it's a whole new world to me!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Welcome to the forum, tbaron. I'm about 30 miles north of you, in southeast Kansas. You might want to go back and edit your registration to include your zone. Note my "z6 KS" right after my user name. Or at least always include your zone in the first sentence or so of your post.

By the way--good gardening zone. That means you can grow almost any rose, especially since, with climate change, zone 6 is transitioning in places into zone 7. I think mine might actually be zone 7, or very close to it, by now. The zone number means that the rose should be cold hardy to zone 6 or higher numbered zone.

Try to get all the roots out if you dig up Dr. Huey--or he will return--kinda of like Dracula always returns in the next movie! (Actually, Dr. Huey is rather attractive--if he just didn't have those other irritating habits!). Dig a hole about two feet wide and a foot deep--I'd think you'd find most of the roots that way. Perhaps in the center, directly under the rose, you might have to dig deeper if it has had time to established a strong centralized stabilizing root.

And have a bag of humus/compost (from Home Depot or Wal-Mart or such place) ready and dump 1/3 or more of it in the hole and loose soil leftover. That way you will be all ready to plant a new rose when it arrives since you will have already amended the soil. At that point, all you will need to do is dig a hole, plant, and water! : )

You might want to browse some rose pictures over on the Rose Gallery--get some ideas of alternate choices. Plenty of pics posted often on this forum also. And see also the Antique Roses Forum, especially if you like the David Austin shrubs (like Munstead Wood). And feel free to ask about any roses you find appealing.

Happy rosing!

Kate

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz