Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzzonkowl

How do you get rid of a giant rose bush?

ZzzonkOwl
9 years ago

There are 2 humongous pink rose bushes on our new home, and I don't like them. How would we get rid of them without shredding ourselves?

Comments (9)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Do you have better photos of the plants? Up closer.

If so, post and find out what you have. You might find some one locally wants that type of rose. You could easy cut off canes from the one you want to remove and share them via Craigslist. Once you only have the root ball left it is pretty easy.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Digging a big rose plant is a lot of work, and roots that are left may sprout again, so I'd take a different approach. Use welder's gauntlets and a long-handled lopper to cut it down to 6" stubs. You may need a saw for stems over 1". Paint the stubs promptly with full-strength Roundup. It may try to sprout again once or twice. If so, cut back another inch and paint the fresh-cut surface. After it is dead, cut the stumps down to ground level.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Get someone with a pick-up (and a strong bumper) to come over, back it up reasonably close to the rose, tie a chain or very strong rope to the bumper and around the base of the rose (after you have trimmed off all the top branches in about 1-2 ft lengths to be disposed of), and drive forward slow but steady to pull it out along with most of its roots. Now you can chop/saw it up some more into smaller, easily disposable pieces.

You might have to repair the lawn a bit in a few places afterwards, but that is easy compared to digging up an old well-established big rose.

I've never done that with a rose, but that is how we dislodged a stubborn Crepe myrtle tree/very tall bush--and that thing did not want to let go of the ground!

(Don't worry--we dropped it into a big pre-dug hole at the back of the property, watered it generously--nearly excessively, in fact--and it is still growing and blooming 8 years later.)

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Maybe you could just cut it down to a more manageable size, I think it is really beautiful but it's not my house :).

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Why not create a new entrant walkway, starting just to the left of the bush (under the word TRIM in the picture)? Make it a nice smooth reversed S shape. Then make a nice flower bed in place of the old walkway.

Just cover the ground under the rose you want to remove with a lot of mulch so grass canâÂÂt grow there, then place a row of nice looking bricks around the outer edge. Those bushes are just too darn pretty to remove or hack up.

That's my vote..... You did ask for a vote, right? Ooops....lol

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

Actually, my first thought was to agree with Toolbelt;why get rid of such a fine rose? lol, bart

• buford
    9 years ago

michael is right. Get a pair of long handled loppers and start chopping. It's the fastest way. You may even find that after you lop off a lot of top growth, you want to keep both rose bushes. They look very healthy, but are a bit overgrown.

Painting RU on a stump is not going to poison anything (except the stump of course) You can try to dig up the root ball, but if that is not possible, RU can help.

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

There is no justice.i would love beautiful rose bushes like that,yet mine will take years to become this magnificent beauty...and here you are,and they are a pest to you:(. I wish I could have that rose.would have gladly put in the hours to dig it up and transplant it

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia