Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coir Mulch Block?

Posted by bodica 9/N.CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 11:38

Have you tried The Original Mulch Block made of coir? I have been spreading for months and am pleased to see, so far, it has retained it's color. I really love chocolate hull mulch, but with it came my only experience with fungus gnats. Not wanting to go through that EVER again, can you tell me if coir can cause the same problem or if because it can't 'crust over', not to worry? Is coir less prone to fire than redwood or cedar? Do they loose moisture at the same or different rates?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coir Mulch Block?

• Posted by jont1 Midwest 5b/6a (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 1:57

I have used coconut coir many times mainly for rooting cuttings of roses. The coir doesn't cause the cutting to develop mold like using regular potting soil and some other types of planting medium.
It really works well.
I have never used it when potting bareroots or budded maidens or bands. I only use professional grade potting soil I get at my local nursery. It is kind of expensive at
$21 for a big bag of it, but it quickly makes up for the cost when it helps new plants live and thrive better and even can make the difference in life or death of the plant altogether.
John

o

HMMM,,,just be careful with coconut products. I know cocomulch will kill dogs if ingested so I wonder about the coir since that is also a coconut product (great for outdoor mats). Sorry to interupt but thought I'd put that out there....

o

Cocomulch that kills dogs are made of the husk of cocoa. coir mulch is made of coconut husks and are not eaten by dogs

o

I am pleased to report, all of the coir I spread still looks as beautiful as when first exposed. No fungus gnats, no crusting or mold, this is the perfect mulch for my garden. It protect and covers, looks wonderful and all my plants seem to love it, some ground covers even root into the fibers. Please save our peat and try coir instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here