Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

How Soon to Plant a Potted-Up Rose?

Kes Z 7a E Tn
9 years ago

I lost a lot of roses after last winter, as I'm sure many of you have. I've noticed some of my roses are weaker than before and are less able to deal with adversity. With that in mind, a couple of weeks ago I dug and placed in pots a couple of roses that were not doing well. One is down to a single cane and one has two small canes. I plan on moving them to a more favorable spot. For the first week or so, I kept them in dappled shade, then moved them to a little more sun. They seem to be doing OK, one better than the other, but neither are showing any new growth.

At the beginning of this week, I found a place for the rose that is the stronger of the two where it will receive a lot more sun than its original spot. I sat it near its new spot, only making sure it receives a little more shade than the rest of the bed. No new growth yet but it doesn't look stressed. When should I plant it in the ground again?

Rose Back Story- I've had this rose for more than fifteen years, since the late 90's. I don't know its name as it's a rescue. DH is a mail carrier who used to have a walking route in a rougher area of the city. Every day he passed by a deserted church that had a large rose growing beside it. One day he found that the entire lot was bulldozed, rose and all. However, after awhile he saw the poor rose trying to regrow, so he dug up what he could and brought it to me. It even had a couple small blooms on it.

I've moved it twice before due to encroaching shade so its a survivor. All I can tell you for sure is that it's a double, it has a medium pink flower with a darker pink reverse and it's fragrant. We call it "Mechanicsville Beauty".

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!