Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michaelg or anyone that has Carefree Sunshine...

Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 12:02

Hi,

I'm just trying to figure out these Carefree Sunshine rose bushes.

Both planted as bands in May of 2013. They grew and bloomed ok (not great) that first season. Then we had this past years bad winter which winterkilled most of their growth.

They are both growing back half decent this year but not blooming well at all. One CS has had 4 blooms so far and I see 2 more buds on the bush. The other CS has not bloomed at all yet (0) and I see no buds yet.

I gave them both approx 1 cup of Alfalfa Meal 2-1-2 in Mid May.
And I placed homemade compost over their root systems after applying the Alfalfa Meal.

I did not give Alfalfa Meal to any other rose bush but they all got compost over their roots and they are all blooming very well!

SO do you think the Alfalfa Meal affected their blooming?

OR is this a rose that wants to lay down a good root stytem before blooming well?

These are both own-root CS roses...

Thanks for all replies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michaelg or anyone that has Carefree Sunshine...

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:53

It was a bad winter. You were able to see how much damage there was on the top growth but there is no way of knowing how much root damage they sustained below ground. They may just be spending their energy regrowing their root ball to a big enough size to produce more blooms. This season is going to be a rebuilding year for a lot of roses.

o

A cup of alfalfa wouldn't hurt anything.

14 months from a band isn't much time, especially with winter damage thrown in. Incidentally it should be cane hardy in your average Pennsylvania winter. I don't have any suggestions other than patience. It's one of the best roses I've grown.

o

That could be Seil and Michaelg. I have another type of rose bush planted in between the two Carefree Sunshines and it is blooming up a storm. I have flowers in that area but not to close that they would interfere with either CS and the flowers are growing and blooming good also.

I'll try to be patient...lol.... Thanks!

Most of the bands I've planted bloomed very well the second year so it threw me off base when these two are hardly blooming at all...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 17:14

o

I just realized after looking on HMF at my Carefree Sunshine pictures that I planted both our CS mid to latter July of 2013... So they were planted later than I thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here