Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnette_gw

Second best climber in the garden

lynnette
9 years ago

Awakening, the sport of New Dawn, would be my desert island choice. Another no problem rose but I like the old rose look plus the fragrance. Tends to grow the direction it wants to grow but I will forgive it that fault.

Comments (26)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Newcomers here should know that Lynnette knows as much about climbers and ramblers as anybody in North America.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have a "bucket list" of gardenwebbers gardens I would love to see in person. Lynnette's is one of them.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Ooooh!!!! I love it!!!! I said on another post that I liked your Aloha? the best - but I hadn't seen this one. Stunning!!!
    Wow!
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Love the form and color too!

• lynnette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Michaelg. Possibly you also know that I set up the Antique forum and the rose FAQs when "Spike" owned the garden web website. Those were the days!! I remember praising a rose and the hybridizer thanking me for my interest in his roses. I nearly fell off my chair. Quite a few hybridizers were lurking on the forum getting gardeners opinions of their roses. I also used to help Spike with the trolls. There were so many of them back then. But it is so much better now or else the kids are onto some other mischief. I have downsized from my 950 roses to a small garden in which I have managed to stuff 250 into. I closed of my website and sent all my photos to HelpMeFindRoses. Before I moved I sent Palatine 80 different roses. They were the ones I felt were the best in my garden. By now they have budded them and should be on sale this fall. Many of them were the beautiful old climbers such as Mons Paul Lede and all were hardy. So keep you eye out for Palatines fall roses which will be posted on September 1st.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you for preserving them, Lynette! I wish more people had all these years. Kim

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

Is the habit/vigour of Awakening the same as that of New Dawn? because I've been wanting to try Awakening, and also replace New Dawn, but from past experience, I know that New D is a wild, thorny monster in my climate, and must be placed carefully...I ended up getting rid of my rather splendid New Dawn because I'd placed it in a central spot in my garden, on a path, where I was obliged to prune it yearly...a nightmare! In future, I'd grow this as an authentic rambler, in a place where it can just do as it wants.If Awakening is just the same,I want to know before I get it!!!thanks, bart

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Lynette I read the rose FAQ when I joined the forum and was wondering who you were. Now I know lol! I really enjoy the forum and have learned so much from everyone. Thanks! I can't imagine 950 roses! I bet that was a chore trying to decide what to keep and what not to keep. I'm glad some of your roses will be available soon and I'm glad you posted some pics of your beautiful climbers.

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Lynette, is Awakening shade tolerant? I have an arbor and would love plant a rose beside it, but I'm not having any luck because the area has some shade. Any advice on this climber or any other recommendations on a shade tolerant climber?

• Hrose
    9 years ago

it would be nice to see posters post pictures of their whole plant as well instead of just one picture perfect rose

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Bellarosa, since you're closer to my zone, I can share the information that Awakening is hardy and healthy in zone 5 in part shade. I've attached a picture of it duking out space with a Snow Queen oakleaf hydrangea. You can see that it gets big, as the fence is 6 feet and these are only a few branches of the well-established Awakening bush. Any climber in part shade is going to flower less and have more disease risk than in full sun, but for me this one is mostly plant and forget (unless I need to climb near the fence - not a happy prospect). Other part-shade climbers that do fine for me include Blossomtime, Compassion, Laguna, Dixieland Linda, Madame Bovary, Clair Matin, and Darlow's Enigma (not really a climber for me but a huge shrub, but he's also in mostly shade).

Lynette, your photo is gorgeous of Awakening and shows the discrepancy between a climber in full sun and mine in part shade. Hrose, one of the reasons we don't post full bush shots of most roses is that most of them just get too big to fit in the shot with any level of detail. Even though I was trying to capture the whole Awakening bush, I was nowhere close - particularly with a climber.

Cynthia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

If those of us in high heat, aridity and drought areas were to do that, few others would grow roses right now. I have the occasional really nice bloom on the most wretched looking plants...Kim

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

lynnette, Are you still here? Some of your roses landed in my garden......I am so happy to have them, thank you!!! :-) I do have a question for you if you are still here. What's the best rambler/climber for a north facing wall ( in the shade)? Thanks

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Lynette surely nailed it on Awakening. What is her first best climber?

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

I have Awakening - it is the most recent rose survivor from our old old garden which I have been able to identify. The original plant was growing INSIDE of a large Japanese quince bush 25 years ago when we moved in, and is still growing there! I am not recommending A for full shade, but the fact that it has survived there (probably was planted decades before we moved in when that area was more open) for 50+ years says something about its "shade tolerance". We get 1-3 blooms a Spring from that bush, and interestingly enough, they all start out pink, but immediately fade to a gorgeous buff color (first pic below).

When I finally rooted it and planted it in full sun, I was sort of disappointed that the blooms mostly stay pink. It is still a baby, but is blooming and growing very well, despite having been nibbled on by deer occasionally.

Bart_2010 - I think our climates are similar. About 10 years ago I rooted a cutting and gave it to my SIL - below is a pic of her plant, which is very thorny and as you can see is sprawling and crawling along, until it hit the fence and began to climb.

Jackie

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a baby Awakening, it's about 1' tall on its 3rd year and it's in a full sun spot. It grows so slow......so is Blossomtime, I planted them at the same time.

• Flowerescent NJ Zone 6
    last year

Does anyone know where I can purchase Blossomtime? No one seems to have it in stock.

• roseseek
    last year

@Flowerescent NJ Zone 6 contact Burling Leong at Burlington Roses. She listed it on her 2022 rose list availability. She may still have it in stock. https://helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=17.18773

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just found Blossomtime at my local Lowes! I’m in zone 9b, so roses arrive early here, check your local Lowes when appropriate.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Ive seeni it at Menards bareroot in the Spring. I bought mine originally from ARE.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

I also saw Blossomtime at Lowes so you might check there if you have one close enough to you.

• Flowerescent NJ Zone 6
    last year

Ok, that gives me hope for this elusive rose (to me) thank you. fig_insanity, you're not a downer. You're paying respects and I appreciate it as I'm sure others do. I didn't know she passed. The more I read this forum, the more I will learn. Thank you.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

I got my original Blossomtime as a boxed bare root grafted rose at Home Depot. It is one of my favorite climbers. Mine has been in part shade all these years and still reblooms well although it gets some blackspot where it is. It is an exceptionally pretty rose.

I think Awakening is prettier than New Dawn but it is less vigorous which might be a plus to some.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I agree that Awakening is much prettier than New Dawn, several of which I grew over the years. When I first saw the photo at the very top, I thought it was a ringer for Eglantyne, which of course, it isn't. But for those of you that want that look, but don't want a climber, try Eglantyne, pictured just above. Diane

• Flowerescent NJ Zone 6
    last year

Gorgeous photos. After some more searching I found Blossomtime is currently available for preorder at Petals from the Past and will also be available around April for order via Long Ago Roses. :)