Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second best climber in the garden

Posted by lynnette PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 12:20

Awakening, the sport of New Dawn, would be my desert island choice. Another no problem rose but I like the old rose look plus the fragrance. Tends to grow the direction it wants to grow but I will forgive it that fault.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second best climber in the garden

Newcomers here should know that Lynnette knows as much about climbers and ramblers as anybody in North America.

o

I have a "bucket list" of gardenwebbers gardens I would love to see in person. Lynnette's is one of them.

o

Ooooh!!!! I love it!!!! I said on another post that I liked your Aloha? the best - but I hadn't seen this one. Stunning!!!
Wow!
Carol

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:21

Love the form and color too!

o

Thank you for your kind words Michaelg. Possibly you also know that I set up the Antique forum and the rose FAQs when "Spike" owned the garden web website. Those were the days!! I remember praising a rose and the hybridizer thanking me for my interest in his roses. I nearly fell off my chair. Quite a few hybridizers were lurking on the forum getting gardeners opinions of their roses. I also used to help Spike with the trolls. There were so many of them back then. But it is so much better now or else the kids are onto some other mischief. I have downsized from my 950 roses to a small garden in which I have managed to stuff 250 into. I closed of my website and sent all my photos to HelpMeFindRoses. Before I moved I sent Palatine 80 different roses. They were the ones I felt were the best in my garden. By now they have budded them and should be on sale this fall. Many of them were the beautiful old climbers such as Mons Paul Lede and all were hardy. So keep you eye out for Palatines fall roses which will be posted on September 1st.

o

Thank you for preserving them, Lynette! I wish more people had all these years. Kim

o

Is the habit/vigour of Awakening the same as that of New Dawn? because I've been wanting to try Awakening, and also replace New Dawn, but from past experience, I know that New D is a wild, thorny monster in my climate, and must be placed carefully...I ended up getting rid of my rather splendid New Dawn because I'd placed it in a central spot in my garden, on a path, where I was obliged to prune it yearly...a nightmare! In future, I'd grow this as an authentic rambler, in a place where it can just do as it wants.If Awakening is just the same,I want to know before I get it!!!thanks, bart

o

Lynette I read the rose FAQ when I joined the forum and was wondering who you were. Now I know lol! I really enjoy the forum and have learned so much from everyone. Thanks! I can't imagine 950 roses! I bet that was a chore trying to decide what to keep and what not to keep. I'm glad some of your roses will be available soon and I'm glad you posted some pics of your beautiful climbers.

o

Lynette, is Awakening shade tolerant? I have an arbor and would love plant a rose beside it, but I'm not having any luck because the area has some shade. Any advice on this climber or any other recommendations on a shade tolerant climber?

o

it would be nice to see posters post pictures of their whole plant as well instead of just one picture perfect rose

o

Bellarosa, since you're closer to my zone, I can share the information that Awakening is hardy and healthy in zone 5 in part shade. I've attached a picture of it duking out space with a Snow Queen oakleaf hydrangea. You can see that it gets big, as the fence is 6 feet and these are only a few branches of the well-established Awakening bush. Any climber in part shade is going to flower less and have more disease risk than in full sun, but for me this one is mostly plant and forget (unless I need to climb near the fence - not a happy prospect). Other part-shade climbers that do fine for me include Blossomtime, Compassion, Laguna, Dixieland Linda, Madame Bovary, Clair Matin, and Darlow's Enigma (not really a climber for me but a huge shrub, but he's also in mostly shade).

Lynette, your photo is gorgeous of Awakening and shows the discrepancy between a climber in full sun and mine in part shade. Hrose, one of the reasons we don't post full bush shots of most roses is that most of them just get too big to fit in the shot with any level of detail. Even though I was trying to capture the whole Awakening bush, I was nowhere close - particularly with a climber.

Cynthia

o

If those of us in high heat, aridity and drought areas were to do that, few others would grow roses right now. I have the occasional really nice bloom on the most wretched looking plants...Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here