Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encouraging growth in 1 Yr old New Dawn Roses

Posted by jessiegirl21 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 13:05

Hi,

I'm new to growing roses. This year i bought a few New Dawn climbing roses for my yard from HeirloomRoses.com. The tag said they are 1 yr old plants.

They have only been in the ground a month or so, and are doing wonderfully. THey are growing well and a few even have buds.

I picked climbing roses to help create some privacy through my fence. If the roses are blooming does that mean they aren't focusing on growing larger - climbing - because they are focusing on blooming? Should i cut the blooms off to encourage growth ( right now i'm looking for overall plant size vs number of buds...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encouraging growth in 1 Yr old New Dawn Roses

There is certainly a theory that cutting off the first flower buds on any kind of roses will encourage stronger growth.

One thing to remember is that ANY climbing rose can take up to 3 years to really start climbing. There is a saying -
"first year sleeping", second year creeping", third year leaping" regarding climbing roses. They tend to put out small, "baby" canes initially while their roots are growing. Then, (up to 3 years) later, they will start putting out the "climbing canes" which are different - they are thicker, and tend to grow very fast straight up (gardeners have posted on here that they were frightened by this, and thought something was wrong with their roses!).

New Dawn is a very good rose, in my opinion, for growing on a fence for privacy. Just give them some time, and they will get large for you. When the climbing canes do appear, I would wait until they have stopped growing up, but are still flexible. Then I would tie them as horizontally as you can along the fence. This will encourage more blooms, and more lateral canes off the first one, which you can then also tie horizontally, etc.

Jackie

o

ND is a very vigoruous rose, and expect that it will get much bigger next year. Mine is grafted and in its second year and is showing signs that it would be a monster. I also have its sport, Awakening, which was a two year old own-root and now is about 6 feet tall and wide. Last year, it did not grow all that much all year, and I am guessing that it was building up its root system.

They are both VERTY thorny, VERY unruly, and, for me, VERY hard to train. Bes ure to give your ND plenty of space, as it a ganster of a rose. My DW says ND is big, bad and beautiful.

o

New Dawn is one of the Earth- Kind Roses, which means you don't have to do anything to it to grow and thrive. It is a very cane hardy climber and boy does it grow!
Trivia question: What plant in the plant kingdom hold Plant Patient #1 Answer New Dawn!!!!!! Yes a Rose holds that distinction!

o

That is good to know - I'll just let it do it's thing.

What about transplanting it?

I may be moving next year - which would only have been 1 season in the ground for these plants... Are they ok to dig up and move?

Can you transplant roses?

o

It won't take New Dawn three years to achieve a large size. Watch out--you will be in for some serious pruning. I've raised several of these monsters (no more, thank heaven), and they can be challenging with those nasty thorns. Diane

o

"New Dawn" is a great older Large Flowered Climber. It does grow very large and tall

If against a fence, it will probably outgrow the fence and the space around it Expect to do some careful trimming to keep it under control. It flowers on old wood, so heavy pruning has to be avoided.

As already stated, the first few years of a climber are the "establishment" years. You'll want to put the emphasis on growing and training the foundation canes. But with such a vigorous climber as this one is, I wouldn't worry about a few blooms as long as your growing conditions are suitable.

The 'EarthKind' list varies depending on what part of the country you are in. For example, the list used for Texas is different than the one used here (actually, the one used in the NYBG, but that's the closest trial available).. Diseases and disease strains, growing conditions, as well as other factors., can vary from place to place which accounts for the differences,

"New Dawn" happens to not be on the 'EarthKind' list for this area, but it did "pass" the 'Ten Year Trial' at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania. Though an older variety, it is still an excellent climber if you can give it the space it needs.

Just FYI, for fence roses we tend to prefer the rambler types because they can be pretty much pruned/cut back as you want so they can never outgrow the fence. But that's just our personal preference..

o

I get confused about old wood and new wood, but I know from experience that you can prune her laterals hard and she'll bloom well on them. I take it the main canes are the old wood she needs, so it doesn't hurt to prune the laterals? Not pruned off, just much shorter than they like to grow.

I don't know about a fence unless you were to train her main canes horizontally from a low position. Then you could keep her laterals in check (hopefully!) and still see a lot of bloom. I see better bloom when I 'reinvigorate' her laterals; she seems to prefer that here. The really old wood doesn't repeat as well for me (and she's a hard one to pick favorite new basals with! Those thorns are vicious, so what's trained already is what I try to work with, lol).

I had to giggle when I saw the title, but I do know what you mean. She doesn't turn into a monster right away. But she will!

I transplanted one fine, but it was a layered baby without an extensive root system. Once she turns into a monster I don't know how transplanting would go. Before that you should be fine :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here