Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
view1ny

scotts earthgro brown mulch - dyed or natural?

view1ny NY 6-7
12 years ago

I was looking thru the home depot local ad and noticed this mulch for sale. Does anyone know what Color Advantage is? Does this mean the mulch is dyed? I want undyed organic brown mulch and am not sure where to find it.

Thanks for any info.

Comments (9)

• AMaji
    12 years ago

The colored mulch is for aesthetics. I don't see any other use for it.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

It is dyed. Except for a cocoa hull mulch, I don't know of any wood mulches that would be consistently dark brown color naturally. Have you called any local landscaping companies (not the big box stores)?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Nowadays it is becoming increasing more difficult to pick up hardwood mulch or pine bark mulch. You don't really have much choice other than the dyed mulch--unless you want to buy the rubber mulch (ugh!).

Regardless, a mulch should help retain moisture and inhibit weeds--2 of the main reasons why I use mulch anyway. But I agree--I'd prefer a "natural" look, although the brown dyed mulch isn't as unnatural looking as the red dyed mulch.

After about a month, the dyed mulch starts to fade in an uneven pattern--tends to look much more natural than the new dyed mulch did.

Kate

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would prefer not to have dye leach into my garden soil. I'll make some phone calls to local nurseries to see what I can find.

I don't care that much about how it looks - I just want a mulch that's good for my roses!

Thanks to all who answered.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

I use shredded cedar (or cedar chips if I can find them, they look nicer) purchased from the big box stores (HD or Lowes).

• teka2rjleffel
    12 years ago

Diane, have you found the cedar to be helpful in deterring insects? I've often wondered that since it used to be used in closets for that reason. I mix some cedar pet bedding into the soil hoping it helps keep nasties away.

• palustris
    12 years ago

I live in an area without big box stores so I may be off base here, but both my local garden center and the local landfill have bark mulch and composted yard waste available. The cost is usually around $100 for four yards delivered. I usually get four yards of compost in the spring and four yards of bark mulch in the fall.

If you live in an area where the box stores have driven the local garden centers out of business you can still try the local recycling center. They give the mulch away in my town and you can load as much as you can fit in your car or truck. I use my plastic recycling bins to take the recycling to the drop and pick up the mulch in the same containers for the trip home.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Haven't noticed that the cedar mulch keeps any pests away, but haven't done any controls either.

Our local landscape centers sell in volumes too large for my little garden, and our landfill doesn't do mulch/compost, hence I get my mulch from the big boxes.

• HU-614602095
    2 years ago

Please, before buying, look at the reviews on Homedepot.com regarding this mulch. I sure wish I had read them. The miscellaneous crap in the bags (screen, screws, plastic) is unbelievable. The only thing worse is the stench this stuff emits. I thought that the Florida sun and the strong winds we had would take care of it. Nope. It has been 3 weeks and evety time we open the front door I feel like I need to muck the horse stalls, except we don't have any. It is horrible and embarrassing every time someone comes to the door. The complaints are answered with a phone number to call, however, you can't get through to anyone. I have never, in 40 years, had this problem. We can't even open the windows. Stay away from this product.