Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

50% off heirloom sale

Karolina11
10 years ago

If anyone is interested, heirloom is having a 50% off sale this weekend. I ordered quite a few! Decent selection still available.

Comments (23)

• Chaoticdreams
    10 years ago

Yep, I've decided to replace some problem roses that the rain and tropical weather has ruined. :(
    Yay for sales!

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I just ordered 5. I know I have heard good things about some of them, I hope they are all wonderful!
    Thank you again for posting this sale!
    :-)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Note, "Everblooming Climbing Cecile Brunner" is one of the sale roses. Kim

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Yup...they got me for:

Fragrant Plum
    Blueberry Hill
    Gitte
    Charlotte
    Belle Story

I might be regretting not ordering Bull's Eye or Geoff Hamilton. Oh well. I already have two babies from RVR (Francis Dubreuil and Souvenir du Dr Jamain) that I'm nursing since my Heirloom bands from this spring are now self-sufficient and blooming...even Leonidas, which I regret. Awful plant.

On with the new adventure!

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I loved Bull's Eye, as well as 20 others! :-) . Keeping my list short was a bit difficult to do.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

^^^ Oh, you enabler!!!!

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up with:
    Anne Harkness
    Betty Harkness
    By Appointment
    Celtic Pride
    Courageous
    Penny Lane
    The English Lady
    Thornbury Castle
    Charles Rennie Mackintosh
    Geoff Hamilton
    Golden Celebration
    Happy Child
    Jude The Obscure
    Sharifa Asma
    St. Alban
    Strawberry Hill
    Tea Clipper
    The Mayflower
    Wildeve
    Apricot Impressionist
    April Moon
    Aunt Honey
    Blaze
    Bonica

Have been wanting Anne Harkness forever so glad I got her! Questioning myself on Blaze though as my blackspot here gets bad but maybe I can interplant him with some clematis for when he gets bare.

• Chaoticdreams
    10 years ago

Twitch...... Egads.... I wish I had the money and a bigger yard LOL

I got Electron and Red Masterpiece. Here's hoping they do well. My hubby is a sucker for red roses and out of the three I have, two are black spot magnets and one isn't really a red. Dark Night? I loved the gothic look to it, but wow do the bugs love it and it just HATES the heat. I'm hoping next year after its gotten a better root system to it it'll spry back up.

I thought about holding off till next year and see if could find a better red like Oklahoma or Mr. Lincoln, etc. but what the heck. It was a good price and worth the gamble. My friend out west has Electron and it's gorgeous. It almost seems to glow and HMF says it has decent disease resistance, so once again, why not. Worth a try at least. :)

• clemmielover
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I jumped on this as well and got 3 Sharifa Asma, 1 Portlandia, 1 Jude the obscure,1 Strawberry Hill and 1 Eglatyne.
    Not until much later did I realize this is what you pro's refer to as 'bands' and I'm worrying I might have made a mistake?

I live in Chicago zone 5 and the solid freeze is hopefully 16 weeks away.
    This is such a rookies mistake and I hesitate to cancel the order although Rough Valley calls it's siren song with promises of bigger plants.

Do you guys think I have a chance? My plan was to tuck them in my protected western exposure bed with the other youngens.

What is it exactly what kills them in the ground at young age?
    Freeze heave?
    Or is it simply not enough roots?

Can I bury them in mulch or should I just pot them, keep them on the balcony until frozen and then move them to a unheated garage?
    I have a few of those 3.5 gallon David Austin pots and thinking they'll would be good overwinter in the garage.
    Also, any recommendations on a commercially available potting mix for the roses?
    I have to say I'm a bit weary of over wintering in pots as I have either forgotten to water or not had enough drainage, the exception being young clemmie vines

I plant them in a very gritty mix, generous amounts of peagravel added and then sink the whole pot in the ground, fairly deep with a few inches of the dirt and mulch of the bed covering it.

Is this something I could do with the little roses?
    I should add I'm not a confident rose gardener, I just started out with 4 grafted plants that I'm putting in tomorrow .
    Should I just own up to my gaffe and cancel the order, I spent about a $100 and am debating if I would have a better chance going with a few bigger plants?
    Thanks!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Chicago isn't here, but here the 'rule' is no bands after the 4th of July, unless you are experienced at overwintering baby roses.

What kills them is cold. They don't have enough of a root mass to get beneath the frozen surface, and also don't have enough stored energy to survive what they are going to lose. If put in a garage, they have to be kept watered because the small pots don't hold much water in reserve.

The big question is whether or not you are willing to risk the money. Some people are, some people will be regretting it for the next ten years. Then there is the point that *I*, gardening *here* wouldn't touch any of those varieties own-root. The chance of them growing into real plants at some point this century is too slim.

• clemmielover
    10 years ago

Thanks Gallica, I had a sinking feeling and sent a very apologetic mail asking to cancel the order and will call customer service as the nursery is closed over the weekend.
    Do you think they'll accept a cancellation? I got little experience of what the rules are in this situation.
    I'm hoping they didn't process the order as it is weekend.. eh..
    bummer.

• clemmielover
    10 years ago

Phew!!
    I'm happy to report Heirloom Roses let me off the hook with my order, They were most gracious and the cancellation was a breeze.
    I mos def will order from them when I got a bit more experience with starter roses.
    Now where can I find a mature Sharifa Asma on this side of fall..?

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I received my order today! :-)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow, They look awesome. I hope my order looks as good as yours.

• reemcook
    10 years ago

growing_rene: Your Heirloom bands look healthy! They seem neatly packaged for shipment too.

It is nice to read positive reviews about the steps Heirloom has taken to ensure customer satisfaction. I am eagerly looking forward to receiving my first order of roses from Heirloom. :)

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I am very happy with them. They certainly don't appear to be stressed at all, hapy little campers!...so far. :-)

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Rene those look fabulous!!! They're much bigger than the ones I got in April.

I hope I get mine today!!!! I just live in WA so I don't know why they haven't come yet. I'm going down to Oregon this evening after work for DH's big drag race. If I was using my noggin I would have just asked to pick them up.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I would have expected you to receive yours first. Fingers crossed for a healthy, happy shipment!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I got my 10 Heirloom roses today and look just as healthy as Rene's. I watered them today after they were unpacked and I will repot tomorrow. They dont look a bit stressed - bet when I repot them, the will really take off.
    Judith

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

@rancin_rose you will love your fragrant plum. I got mine in May I think it was and its been blooming for awhile now. THe blooms last me over 8 days in a vase and it is very fragrant. The buds will look more red in color so don't be shocked as I was. But they open to a pretty lavender-ish pink color. The photo I'm posting is my first fragrant plum bud. I have more on my cell phone of the open flowers but haven't had a chance to download them. My usb cable to my cell can be a pain. edited to add that even with all of the rain and high humidity we've had in my area I have not seen any signs of BS yet on any of my heirloom roses.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 8:39

• rhapsody616
    10 years ago

Can someone tell me the name of the company and provide a link to the page. Even if the sale is done.