Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Rose Hips

Posted by ksammie3 z6 Pa (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 13:56

My white rugosas, which are in their third year this year, have set some absolutely lovely hips. I want to harvest them dry and use in teas this winter.

All of the online sources recommend harvesting the hips after a frost, but some of the hips on the bushes are ripe right now.

Does anyone know if I should go ahead and harvest the ripe ones now or leave them on the bush until fall? My condern is that if they are ripe now, they won't last until fall.

There is another round of flowers coming out now that will probably set a good amount of hips that will be just right when the frosts hit.

Any suggestiosn about the hips that are ripe now would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Rose Hips

What color are they? If they are either orange or red I would pick them. If the stems right under the hip are yellow, definitely pick them because they are ready to fall off and the squirrels and birds will get them before you do.

o

What do hips look like? Does anyone have a picture?

o

aggie, for you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hips

o

I couldn't get that link to work. Maybe this one will.

http://www.rosefog.us/Resources/hipbadprickles/Hips.html

o

From some rugosa hip collecting I did three years ago, I found that taking them when they are red orange and air drying (hot sunlight, with air flow) worked well. Leaving them on the bushes just led to shriveled up problems with fungal additives.
I can get two to three harvests a year. Depending on how late fall persists, You should get two, at least.
(If you get lots of really fat hips with lots of meat, they make a good rose jam. )

o

Thanks for the links! Why haven't my roses ever produced hips? What do the roses use hips for, and what can we do with them?

o

The hips are the seed pods. You can harvest those pods when they ripen, cut them open and find rose seeds. If the rose is a hybrid, you'll get some unknown rose, it will probably not look like the parent rose that the hips came from. Only with species roses do you get new plants from seeds that are true to the variety.

Also, if you have heard of rose hip tea or rose hip jelly, these are the hips that they are talking about. Some roses produce better tasting hips than others.

A lot of modern hybrids don't set hips. They dry up before maturing.

o

ksammie,

What types of rugosas do you have? Mine never set hips!

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here