Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellys4811

Gave up and gave in...

shellys4811
14 years ago

I live in blackspot H**L!!! And as if my location wasn't bad enough already - all this rain and humidity this current season is driving my blackspot into overkill!! I spray as regularly as possible (in between rains) but I can't keep the BS under control.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind the random imperfections on my roses at all. But this BS has got to go. So I gave in and ordered the banner maxx and mancozeb.

What I need your help with is - please give me your suggestions as to how and when to apply. I am getting contradicting info on this from my nursery and the internet sites. And please also include how long before or after rain application.

Thanks so much!!

Shelly

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

The 'how, when, how much' and all other questions will be answered on the label. They come in various formulations, and the directions would vary from one kind to another. If the instructions don't seem to be helpful, be sure to call the toll free number list on every pesticide label.

Be very careful with these fungicides, as they both present some serious health risks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Use with caution

• henryinct
    14 years ago

BannerMaxx (propiconazole) is systemic and will stop BS once it gets in the rose. Therefore you need to get it working as quickly and strongly as possible. I would spray now and in three days to make sure you get it working and then every 10-14 days after you get BS under control. If there are defoliated roses spray anyway and new growth will be free of BS. The directions say 1/3-2/3 tsp per gal; I spray 3 tsp per 5 gals and it works fine. I have never had BS but I have had a serious BS problem this year due to my broken ankle and the constant rain but Banner has brought it under control. Based on everything I have read I would not bother with Mancozeb because it is not necessary and it wont help on infected roses. Banner and Bayer will stop BS even on infected roses which is what you need.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

check the rosemania website. They used to have detailed instructions on bs control with banner maxx and mancozeb.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

I don't have a label handy, but if the minimum spray interval for Banner is 14 days, you shouldn't spray more often than that. Mancozeb is not toxic to plants and can be sprayed more often. However, you definitely should start off with Banner (as Henry says) rather than with mancozeb alone (as Rosemania says). Rosemania does not understand that fungicides of the Banner type have curative action against blackspot inside the leaf.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

I thought I answered, but I don't see it.

I spray every two weeks, combining Banner Maxx and Mancozeb in every spray, a friend adds in the mancozeb with Banner every other spray. I have found it to be most effective when I use some kind of sticker in the mix, 1/2 teaspoon of liquid Ivory soap per gallon should be enough (I use the pH balancer Indicate5, which also has sticker properties). I also use a liquid seaweed in the spray (Neptune's Harvest or Response), it helps to mask the mancozeb residue, which can look like a beige powder.

• Molineux
    14 years ago

Mancozeb is a life saver in 6b. Our climate is humid with the perfect temperature range for the black spot. I've tried a lot of fungicides and for controlling the disease Mancozeb works the best. Unlike other fungicides it directly kills the black spot.

To get the black spot under control do the following:

1. Remove all dropped leaves from the base of the plant.
    2. Strip the plants of diseased leaves.
    3. Water each of the roses thoroughly.
    4. Spray a fine mist of Mancozeb (as per directed on the bottle) coating every part of the canes and foliage.
    5. Wait a day.
    6. Spray again.
    7. Wait a day.
    8. Spray a third time.
    9. Spray once per week afterward until cool Autumn weather arrives, then you can back off - depending on cultivar - to once every two weeks in September, October and November.

BTW, Mancozeb doesn't harm insects. It is a fungicide, not an insecticide. Your bees and butterflies will get by just fine.

Best wishes,

Patrick

• Molineux
    14 years ago

Oh and one last thing. Spray in the morning. You need the give the Mancozeb solution time to dry on the leaves/canes (yes black spot can AND DOES infect the canes). Otherwise, you are fighting an uphill battle.

:) Patrick

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Oh, and water them very, very well the day before spraying!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    14 years ago

I have sprayed regularly with Banner Max and have some BS. Reluctantly, I did 4 sprays 2-4 days apart with Mancozeb. I have a few rose bushes, such as Butter Cream that get the BS first. Then I contaminate a few. You get the picture. It seems that mid July thru August are high pressure times for BS in our area. Powdery mildew has popped up, almost a month early and I just sprayed with Eagle. Twelve days ago, I sprained my ankle while planting my new Nor'East roses. Good luck and I feel your pain!

• shellys4811
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone for your answers. But it still seems to me that there is a lot of contradiction in "how, what and frequency" when it comes to spraying fungicides (which I am sure has a lot to do with differentials in climates).

Patrick - I really liked how you've detailed your suggestions. Thanks! But, are you saying that in our zone that we don't have to use the Banner Maxx? IOW, we just use mancozeb? And do you use a sticker with application?

I have used the bayer disease control for several years, but this year it just hasn't done the job for me. I did spray the mancozeb yesterday (I was trying to catch a dry day) and I guess I will spray it again tomorrow (if it doesn't rain - AGAIN).

But thanks again, and hopefully this will work. I just wish there was something to spray or sprinkle for these darn JB's!

Shelly