Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Little Girl Rose Garden

Kes Z 7a E Tn
10 years ago

I have a goofy habit of ordering mini's when there's a sale and an extra rose or two will fill a box. I'm always sure that I'll find a place for it (I won't) since mini's are small (not really) and will fit in anywhere (not true). I'm convinced that I can grow mini's easily (Hah!) I've begun doing the same with polyanthas. For me, at least they are far more reliable in every way than the minis. So now I have a small collection in pots. Recently DH has agreed to build a playhouse for our little granddaughter who is two. She LOVES flowers. It gave me a terrific idea of a way to put the pot collection to work. I am thinking of putting a small rose garden around it so Sophia will have her own roses. I will care for it but we both can enjoy it, doubly so for me, since it will be wonderful fun to watch her. As usual, I've gotten carried away with it and would appreciate y'alls' input to help me be a little more sane about it.
What I'm looking for:
Short plant 3ish ft. or less,
Some fragrance but need not be strong,
Doesn't need to be thornless but not covered with them and no vicious thorns,
Loves to bloom,
*Very, very healthy* since spraying isn't an option,
Doesn't need to have much of a shelf life for cutting or a long stem, since we often put our posies in a shot glass or a bowl and like to pick new ones every day

What I Have So Far:
Charles Walker Mignonette- looks to be a great rose for this
Crazy Dotty- I love this little rose so far and it seems to also be a good fit
Tip top- this one swings between struggling and thriving maybe due to our weather. Other than that, seems a good fit.
Heidi- Doing very well but it's too thorny and I will find another spot
Pinstripe- actually in the ground but needs to be moved
Ebb Tide- not a mini but in a pot and surely the slowest rose I've ever grown. I think it will easily stay in size.
Freckle Face- currently defoliating due to blackspot, the only one of my potted roses to suffer from it but a constant battle for many planted in the ground. May not make it.
Nathalie Nyphels- also needs to be moved; a very tough old girl, she's my oldest rose.

One problem, none of these roses are "lullo" (yellow), Sophia's favorite color. I just love "lullo" roses myself and am happy to have any excuse to get a few more. I have come up with a list of small roses that are yellow or will blend nicely with the roses I have and with yellow. They are all over the map and some are outside my comfort zone. There are a bunch so I need to make my list a little shorter. I would appreciate your comments.

Softee- It's so pretty in the pictures! The description and even the name seem to be a good fit. Disease resistance to blackspot?
Sunshine- I've wanted this one for awhile so it'll be a good excuse to get it. How does it compare with other polyanthas?
Amber Sun- also pretty and a good blender. How thorny?
Sun Sprite- (a Kordes rose) I avoid floribundas. I've mentally grouped them with HT's and believed they'd die as fast as HT's here. But, this rose has been around for a long time and I wonder how it would do in the southeast. Anyone have it?
Cream Veranda- So pretty in the pictures! Is it too thorny? How fragrant?
Sweet Pea- available from Antique Rose Emporium. Anyone grow it? The description seems like a perfect fit and it looks like it would blend well. So cute!
Sweet Verlin- from ARE like Sweet Pea. Ditto for the description, although it's a bigger plant and flower. I can find very little about this one and hope somebody out there has some experience with it.
Perle d'Or- I've always wanted this one but think it would get too big. Is there a climbing version that wouldn't get too huge? Or, could the regular plant be trained as a small climber or a pillar rose?
Borderer- I'm on the edge about this one.

I value your experience and comments. If you have some ideas of your own, please feel free to share.

Comments (14)

• rosefolly
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Perle d'Or will get big if you let it, but it can be kept smaller. However, it is really more of a pale yellowish corally pink than a true yellow. I double your gradndaughter would think of it as a yellow rose. Worse still, it is viciously thorny. I just pruned my Perle d'Or hedge, so its thorniness is clear in my mind as I write this! I don't think it would meet your criteria very well.

Rosefolly

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I don't know about any on your list, but since she loves lullo, you should give the mini Little Meghan a try. It's a micro mini, but such a wonderful little rose, cute as can be and a really good, repeat blooming, healthy plant.

• bunnicula03
    10 years ago

I used to grow Sunsprite, and it was a very easy-care rose always loaded with blooms, a very pretty yellow. Here in Blackspot NJ disease resistance is important. Many of the floribundas do pretty well for me.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I have been trying all day to remember the name a rose I wanted to suggest. It is 'Baby Love'. Very disease resistant, very small, close to thornless, a bit of fragrance (not a lot), and most definitely 'lello'.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Baby Love'

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I have no idea how disease resistant it would be where you are, particularly as you don't give any indication in your post, nor on your "page" where you live, but the mini Cal Poly is definitely "lullo" and prickle free. Here (SoCal, more inland heat) it is very healthy and flowers like the weed it is. Golden Horizon is an even deeper, more lasting "lullo" but with a few more prickles.

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.40109

Both flower year round here. Both are usually available from Burlington Roses, as are a few of the others you have mentioned. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Cal Poly

• susan4952
    10 years ago

My cal poly is adorable.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I've had two Sunsprites here in hot & very humid Alabama for many years. They do well for me. Big, fragrant, very sunny yellow blooms, and it's quick to repeat. Everything blackspots here including Sunsprite, but it's not too bad...much more disease resistant than most of my roses. Here are a couple of pics of mine, but the yellow is a much brighter, sunnier shade than the pics portray.

{{gwi:306700}}

{{gwi:306701}}

• User
    10 years ago

no suggestions regarding roses but just another affirmation from doting grandparents here. I also have a 2 year old grandaughter (Phoebe Rosa) who, quite frankly, took me by complete surprise since I am a definite disliker of babies and small children, even (especially) my own. Have to contend that grandchildren are the parent's reward for those thankless and exhausting years of child-rearing.

Funnily enough, we are also building a treehouse in the woods for ours (another incipient gardener too - one thing all my children also have in common).

Doting hardly begins to describe our feelings........

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Softee is an excellent little rose. It gets about 3 x 3 feet and covers it's self in blooms! I've had no BS or PM on it at all either.Very hardy too.{{gwi:306702}}

I had Sunsprite but was never a fan and eventually gave it away. To me it seemed like the blooms just blew in seconds. I have Julia Child now and I am MUCH happier with her. No spots, hardy and tons of blooms!
    {{gwi:306703}}

I had Rise n Shine but it didn't winter well and died this year.

You might want to take a look at some of the polyanthas too. A lot of them will stay smaller and compact and they bloom profusely. There's one called Polly Sunshine that a friend of mine had that's a pretty yellow.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Your suggestions and pictures are so wonderful! I did cross off a couple roses on my list but I have added a whole lot more. I'm going to have a terrible time choosing a few.

I'm so sorry I forgot to add my info- zone 7, East Tennessee, southwest of Knoxville. It's supposedly zone 7a but not for my back yard, which is warmer, at least z 8 and even warmer than that behind our house. I live on a small hill that sits atop a bigger hill on a small peninsula of land formed by the Tennessee River. Killing frosts often don't occur till December. It takes a bit longer to warm up here in spring than it does in the city. Our soil is clay and rocks over rocks and clay and is as acid as it comes. I have no top soil except what I carry in and put there myself.

Now I'm going to have to look up all your suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Here are some that I grow that might fit the bill. However, I can't say much about their blackspot resistance because that is only rarely seen in my area.

Polly Sunshine. A VERY cheerful bright yellow little polyantha bred by Ralph Moore. Mine is growing in a pot and flowers a lot. Lots of petals, old fashioned look. Little scent. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.23670.1&tab=36

Golden Border. Technically a floribunda but looks like a polyantha to me. Grows as a small, vase-shaped plant. Absolutely lovely mid to light yellow cupped flowers. Fragrant and nearly thornless. Prolific bloomer. Said to be disease resistant but it is new to the USA. Angel Gardens in Florida has recently imported it.

Happy Child. A very pretty small Austin with intense yellow flowers. Excellent scent. No problems here, but my friend in Arkansas who has had it less than a year said it is highly susceptible to blackspot in her garden.:(
    http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.1877&tab=36

Cassie/Snowbelt. Really a wonderful little rose here. A polyantha. Flowers look white but actually open a very pale yellow and rapidly turn white. Tiny flowers scented of honey. Few thorns. A blooming fool! Mine flowers here 12 months of the year with next to no feeding. Bushy, with leaves and flowers all the way to the ground. Flowers have a yellow eye, so the overall appearance from a distance is white but up close is of a yellow and white color combination, http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.16752.1&tab=36

Others that you might want to consider that I don't have (yet!):

Limoncello (http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.58059) and Topaz (a rare yellow polyantha that is really hard to find--Greenmantle does grow it but I haven't been lucky enough to contact her when it's in stock). No pics of Topaz on HMF, sorry.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Border on HMF

• Tuggy3
    10 years ago

What a lovely idea. You may be encouraging a future rose grower. Mary

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

First off, what a neat idea! I would have loved to have something like that when I was little. My mom would sometimes let me pick out plants and I would watch them grow up. I LOVED it, and it's so educational!
    I only have two lullo minis and they are Home Depot specials. One is classic lullo, almost like Julia Child, and one is a very unique lullo with blood-orange edges. I sure wish I knew the name of it because it's very unique and has really grown on me. I will get a pic tomorrow because it has a bloom.

I have an Amber Sunblaze and it's a little beast. Mine is a first-year plant but it's already a bloom factory and is "caution" orange. I mean BRIGHT. If it gets a lot of sun the blooms will turn a little pink on the edges as they age. So far, it doesn't seem to be thorny.

I also have a "Cinnamon Girl" which has a really neat, sturdy little bloom on it. I got it on sale from J&P, by the time it got to me it was on death's door...and it's come back with a vengeance in a pot. Really plucky little thing. Not lullo, though.

As minis go, and maybe roses overall, my heart belongs to "Tennessee." It just glows on my deck and it even has a lovely tea fragrance. It's not thorny, either. It gets a touch of PM here but nearly every rose I have is coming down with it, due to our 50 degree, foggy nights. It gets ZERO black spot, even when its neighbors want to. I can't get enough of it.

This post was edited by racin_rose on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 3:04