Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoore66_gw

My 18 hybrid Teas are barely growing

I had to cut them back to the ground in April and now they are only 1-2' tall with only a total of 12-15 roses.
I have used rosetone, alfalfa tea, miracle gro for roses, fish emulsion and a three month slow release fertilizer.
I water every four days or so and water drains very well on my raised bed.
Very little budding.
Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Patience. You've fed them well and kept them watered and they are growing and blooming so all you can do is wait for them to recover from the winter. This is going to be a regrowing year for a lot of roses. Come fall do not prune them at all before winter. Leave them with as much cane as possible to start out with next spring. Hopefully winter will not be as severe as the last one and they will start out bigger and healthier for next season. Next spring only prune off dead cane and leave them as tall as you can.

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

Is there enough sun?

• cecily
    9 years ago

Its been hot as blazes in the northern Virginia/DC area (s'posed to be 97 today). I've been watering every third day (with clay soil) and it isn't enough to push new growth, I"m just keeping them alive. Try watering every second or third day, the results may surprise you.

• Hrose
    9 years ago

Hybrid teas are best left to zones like California lesson learned I shovel pruned most of mine after years of disappointment due to winter die back and planted winter hardy shrubs

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Unless you want to win HT Queen, hybrid teas aren't the best roses for your area. It takes skill, luck, and a mindset that enjoys replacing roses early and often. There are reasons the northeast considers HTs to be zone 7 plants. A big one being that their performance much into zone 6 isn't very good.

{{gwi:306735}}

These are not hybrid teas in a public garden near the Hudson River in zone 6a. They were planted last spring, and the picture was taken by somebody else a couple of weeks ago. These not hybrid teas were not winter protected. They also have not been watered, and the only fertilizer is some granular stuff sprinkled around. Next year, I am probably going to have to teach people to prune because we will be into that local unknown, pruning for size.

And Diane, if you are reading this, yes, those are the Fairy Tales. The red roses in the middle are polyanthas that have been around for about 15 years, but the others are that Fairy Tale order.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    9 years ago

My HT's have been really slow to regrow this year also, due to a long, very cold winter, cool spring & a cooler than normal summer so far. Floribundas, OGR's & shrub roses are the only roses doing well so far in my z4 area.