Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

next months news today-new rose virus

henry_kuska
9 years ago

" Ornamental rose plants (Rosa chinensis) with highly stunted growth and leaf curling were found in Faisalabad, Pakistan"

"In this paper, we propose a new species name, Rose leaf curl virus (RoLCuV), for the virus. RoLCuV showed close identity (83 %) with Tomato leaf curl Pakistan virus, while associated betasatellite showed 96 % identity with Digera arvensis yellow vein betasatellite (DiAYVB), justifying a new isolate for the betasatellite. Recombination analysis of newly identified begomovirus revealed it as a recombinant of tomato leaf curl Pakistan virus from its coat protein region."

The above is from:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11262-014-1076-6

See the earlier thread:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg1021514927135.html

I am not sure if the old U.S. "rose leaf curl virus is the same as the new one (I doubt it).

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to August 2014 paper.

Comments (6)

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone know what this map is telling us?

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Not to grow roses in Pakistan?
    I need to reread this a few times as I'm lost Henry...

• roseseek
    9 years ago

The proposed virus is located in Arch, Oklahoma, Egypt, London, France and Pakistan? That it infects tomatoes and roses? I'd always read not to plant tomatoes and roses together as they share verticillim wilt. Perhaps what was thought to be verticillim was actually this? Kim

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

They just had a segment on Oklahoma Gardening discussing diseases and problems with Tomatoes. They showed a Tomatoe with leaf curl and said it was a virus and to pull the plant. Great. What roses RRV hasn't already gotten in my yard, now this new virus will.....Maryl

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a link to a full paper. Of interest is the picture of a diseased rose and the finding that this virus is whitefly transmitted.

" Our results showed that the virus was transmitted by whiteflies in a persistent manner and caused systemic leaf curling and stunting on host plants (Table 1)."

http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs13314-014-0147-9.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

From our county which is a major producer of tomatoes, there used to be no problems with white flies. Winter got 'em.

Then farmers started extending their tomato season (and getting more $$$ for the out of season vine ripened tomatoes) by growing their earliest tomatoes in poly houses, and along with the $$$ came some major white fly problems.

Fortunately the tomato growin' is about twenty to thirty miles down wind of my roses.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville