Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnerphotographer

Falling In Love isn't growing

I planted this back in May, and it hasn't grown at all and its not blooming. It has had one bud for 3 weeks but it hasn't grown in size....its kinda just hanging out. Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• GardnerPhotographer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

additional photo showing the bud that has been like this for weeks.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have one here doing the exact same thing...just sitting there. Mine doesn't even have a bud. It has some nice green leaves but won't grow. I pinched back the tips a few weeks ago and still nothing. If it doesn't wake up soon I'm going to pitch it out.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

My Heirloom is doing the same, but my mom, foolish woman, had planted it in full Texas summer sun. I'm watering often but no response. :(

Gardener: Perhaps yours are just spreading out roots. Nothing seems to be wrong from the photos. What's your zone so the more experienced folks here can help diagnose?

• GardnerPhotographer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Washington State, so zone 5? :D

Its making me sad. I was so looking forward to these blooms. :(

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

The plant looks healthy so I think you just need some patience. It likely is working on it's root system. Make sure it is getting enogh water and sun. Is it in a location that it will get at least 6 hours of sun a day?

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

IâÂÂve had my Falling in Love (grafted on Dr Huey) for about 5 years. Seems like it was slow to repeat its first year, but I canâÂÂt remember if it was slow to grow, as well. It is one of my later roses to bloom each spring, but once it starts, it has flushes that repeat fairly quickly with scattered blooms in between. The bush itself isnâÂÂt very prettyâ¦EXTREMELY thorny and rather awkward growth (mine grows more on one side of the bush than the other)â¦but itâÂÂs not slow to grow. Right now, mine is about 5 ý ft tall and 4 feet wide, and will get a bit bigger by the time our season ends. The blooms themselves are big, beautiful, fragrant, long lasting and plentiful. They last a good while on the bush and in a vaseâ¦one of my very favorites for cutting. I'm in a hot and humid climate, and FIL will blackspot some here...no better or worse than most of my roses...about average blackspot resistance for me.
    Here are few pictures of mine..

This is the only bush shot I could find...from early June after days of very heavy rain:

{{gwi:307079}}

{{gwi:307080}}

{{gwi:307082}}

{{gwi:307083}}

{{gwi:307084}}