Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Personal Rose Statistics

harmonyp
12 years ago

I have often wondered about the average number of roses posters on this forum have, figuring the number is all over the map, but who knows. So - I thought it might be enlightening and fun for us to share some numerical rose statistics about ourselves. Anything goes - I'll put out some stats to share, and feel free to add or remove whatever you'd like to answer:

1. Current Number of Roses: 63

2. Most roses you've had at one time: 63

3. Number of years growing roses: 2

4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 3

4a. With what: Horse Manure

5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 3x

6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: approx. 10

7. Most of a single rose that you have: 3 - Chrysler Imperials

Comments (30)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 109 and 73 seedlings
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: bought roses 115 seedlings 260
    3. Number of years growing roses: somewhere between 25 and 30 years
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 3 or 4 if I'm ambitious
    4a. With what: what ever I have on hand or is on sale
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: poor Appleblossom flower carpet has been moved 4 times now
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: lol, who knows! Like I said AFC has been moved 4 times. And I just moved about 60 roses around this month.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 2 Double Delights and 2 Chelsea Brittlyns. I had 2 Memphis Blues this spring but I just gave one away to a cousin.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I wonder if a pattern will become apparent after we get enough replies. Hmmmmm....

1. Current Number of Roses: 63 or 64 (I forget--somewhere between 61 and 65)
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 65
    3. Number of years growing roses: casually and in limited numbers, about 35 years; seriously and with dedication, about 6 years.
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 3
    4a. With what: usually RoseTone or Osmocote. Until a year ago, I'd put down manure and alfalfa cubes also, but I'm not getting any younger and just didn't bother this year. So far the roses are not objecting.
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: probably 3x --not sure.
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: 1 or 2 every other year or so.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 3 - Eutin; 3 Peter Mayle; 3 Elina; 3 Home Run; 3 Molineux. Oh, I forgot my minis: 7 Sweet Dianas and 4 Green Ice.

Kate

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Current Number of Roses: 85
    Most Roses at one Time: 91
    Number of years growing roses: Over 20
    Fertilize: Usually twice a year with alfalfa meal
    Most of a single rose: Mr. Bluebird 6, Le Vesuve 4, Mrs. Dudley Cross 2, Belinda's Dream 2, Souvenir de la Malmaison 2, Madame Dore 2, Leveson-Gower 2

• rosetom
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 83
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 87
    3. Number of years growing roses: 15
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 6 or 8
    4a. With what: manure, Mills Mix, Easy Feed, boxed granular
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: Never
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: Never, but may change that next year
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 4 - Blaze

• hartwood
    12 years ago

(You may want to sit down before you read this. LOL)

1. Current Number of Roses. My database says 866, but I know that I have less than that now. I still have to delete the dead pots from this winter. Note to self: roses do WAY better in the ground than in pots, so get them planted already.

2. Most roses you've had at one time: Probably around 930.

3. Number of years growing roses: 10

4. Number of times a year you fertilize: hopefully 2 or 3, depending on the type of rosess. The classic HTs get fed the most. The ramblers don't get fed at all.

4a. With what: This year spring feeding was Southern States 10-10-10 with micronutrients. I have been known to run Miracle Gro through my fertilizer injector into the irrigation system if the roses needed a pick-me-up. Other seasons I have used a custom organic mix, or Osmocote, or Rose Tone.

5. Most times you've moved a single rose: Three. Early on with construction and renovations here on the farm, I had a few roses that were continually in the way. The only one of these to survive is Jeanne Lajoie.

6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: Never, so far. With as many roses as I have still to plant, once something is planted ... it's planted.

7. Most of a single rose that you have: I have very few duplicates, believe it or not. I know I have two each of "Portland from Glendora", Alida Lovett, "Pink Van Fleet", Banshee, and Shailer's Provence. I love these roses!

If you are curious about all the varieties I grow, my garden is listed on HMF under 'Hartwood Display Garden'.

Connie

• TNY78
    12 years ago

. Current Number of Roses: 167 (I may have a problem..lol)
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 167
    3. Number of years growing roses: 3
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 2
    4a. With what: gradulated and sprays
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 2x
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: approx. 10
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 3 Hansa Rugosas

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: around 300
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: around 300
    3. Number of years growing roses: 20
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 0-1
    4a. With what: what ever is cheapest
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 2
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: 1
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 8 'Ambridge Rose', 8 'Jubilee Celebration'

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Maybe add...

8. Do you spray with fungicides? Yes
    9. What and how often? Banner Maxx, once a year.

1. Do you spray with insecticide/miticide? No
    2. What and how often? n/a
  • AnneCecilia z5 MI
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 191

2. Most roses you've had at one time: 215

3. Number of years growing roses: 21

4. Number of times a year you fertilize: lately it's not at all. Up until a few years ago it used to be 3 or 4 times though. I really no longer think that's all necessary.

4a. With what: I used to apply our rose society's organic mix twice a year plus water soluble (MGro type) or fish/seaweed, plus worm castings.

1. Most times you've moved a single rose: 2x as my gardens first started expanding.

6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: I have no idea on the number of times in the past, but I did it just this spring because Wanderin' Wind was dropping too many petals into my goldfish pool. (It made a lovely backdrop, but was entirely impractical there.)

7. Most of a single rose that you have: 2 Jude the Obscure (because I wanted to make sure I always had one for the fragrance I fell in love with) and 2 Sunsprite - one it the back yard and one in front for their reliable cheerful color that always makes me smile.

• eden_in_me
    12 years ago

For me, a more appropriate question would be
    "How many roses have died for you?"

Some have stayed alive, but I am on a quest to see if I can get a body bag rose to survive. Of course, I haven't gotten out to the stores when they first arrive, but have waited for sales, so that may be part of the problem.

I did try mail order bands a few years ago from the Ashdown closing sale, but only Etain and Goldbusch have slowly survived. No flowers yet tho.

I do better with potted roses, but nowhere near as well as I would like.

I did move Joseph's Coat to a pot a few weeks ago. The rootstock had died but it made own roots and came up about a foot away from the original planting. It had a flower earlier this year, but I don't really want a climber to flower a foot above the ground. There must be a better place for it.

Also dug out a Pretty in Pink before it got totally strangled by 7 Sisters like Double Delight did. And last year I moved a Double Knockout from the same area to have a more cold-protected place for DD. The old clump of pink oriental poppies here don't help either, but they don't like to me moved, so I haven't even tried, and the clump has gotten even bigger.

I am going to have to try a better winter protection routine this year so I can plant more roses in the open areas of the gardens. But by the time the ground freezes it it too cold to want to be out working on anything outside.

Multiples - you do mean how many are still alive at the same time. Only Blaze, have had one for several not very productive years and bought a bodybag bare root this year that is still alive.

Several roses I have tried but consequently.

And I have only one Dr Huey.

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 175
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 180
    3. Number of years growing roses: 23
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 3 (2 with meal 1 with liquid 'booster'
    4a. With what: Rose Society organic meal - fish emulsion 'booster'
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 3 - Golden Celebration

• kristin_flower
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: about 30
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: maybe 35
    3. Number of years growing roses: I've had roses for about 10 years, but only kind of obsessed for 5
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: once
    4a. With what: manure & Bob's Mix organic (alfalfa based)
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: I'm not sure, but I move them a lot.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: I almost always buy in multiples. 5-John Davis (and I'm planning to get at least 2 more; 5-Quietness; 4-Morden Blush; 4-Mme. Plantier; 3-Pretty Jessica; 3-Crocus Rose

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Great thread harmonyp, it is always fun to spy into other peoples rose gardens :-)!

1. Current Number of Roses: 78
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 85
    3. Number of years growing roses: approximately 15
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 2 should and would like to do 3
    4a. With what: organic rose fertilizer, alfalfa meal, fish and seaweed emulsion
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 1x
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: approx. 20x?
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 8 - Iceberg
    8. Do you spray with fungicides? no
    9. What and how often? n/a

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Gee, I'm an underachiever. I want to see all of your gardens even more now.

1. Current Number of Roses: 18
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 18
    3. Number of years growing roses: approximately 16; about the last 4 years more seriously.
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: Once, or twice if I am ambitious
    4a. With what: compost
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: Poor Showbiz. 4 times!
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: 9 of the 18 have been moved at least once.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: Two: Munsteads, Julias, Marmalades, Symphonies, Showbizes. I like 2.
    8. Do you spray with fungicides? I sprayed my baby Bouquet Parfait twice this year with something called Immunox for mildew. It worked.
    9. What and how often? See above.

Renee
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Let me update my answers by including here hoovb's additional questions:

9. What and how often? Bayer Garden Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs. Several times in the spring and fall, for blackspot. (I NEVER use the Bayer 3-in-1 or 2-in-1--NEVER!!!!)

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

My add ons

9. What and how often? I'll start with something home brew and/or organic but if it gets too bad and I'm starting to worry about their health going into winter I'll use chemicals. The Bayer disease control works good and I have to agree with Kate, NEVER the all in ones!

1. Do you spray with insecticide/miticide? Yes
    2. What and how often? Start with a hard spray of water first then usually only soap and only when I actually SEE the bugs. Using insecticide before you have and IDed the bug is not good. It usually doesn't work because most of them only work on contact and ends up killing the beneficials so the bad guys can move in!
  • harmonyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Add-ons:

8. Do you spray with fungicides? Yes, but natural
    9. What and how often? Cornell formula, biweekly to monthly through late fall and winter months. Baking Soda & water only if fungus shows throughout spring.

• bluederby21
    12 years ago

Yay my turn!

1. Current Number of Roses: 136 to 142 (I have to recount)

2. Most roses you've had at one time: 150+

3. Number of years growing roses: Just under 2 years

4. Number of times a year you fertilize: I fertilize 2x a year in Early Spring and Early Fall and do a tea drench 3x a year in April, July and October

4a. With what: For the fertilizer I use Osmocote 15-9-12 w/minors and for the tea drench I brew up a batch using a mixture of Fat Free Dehydrated Milk, Fish Emulsion, Epsom Salts, Maxi Crop Powder 1-0-4 and Sequestrene

5. Most times you've moved a single rose: Hasn't happened to me yet - I have OCD so I do A LOT of planning ahead to avoid this :)

6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: I have yet to encounter this situation because I always test roses first in pots in their current location before planting them

7. Most of a single rose that you have: I really like mass plantings so I have several including sets of 5x Belnda's Dream, 4x Bonica, 4x Dick Clark and 4x Dream Come True followed by many sets of 3's

9. What and how often? Every 10 days I spray the foliage with Ortho Rose Pride. It's amazing at keeping Blackspot away. It takes me just under an hour to do all 136+ roses.

1. Do you spray with insecticide? Yes and No

2. What and how often? I don't spray for insect control - Instead I use the granular version of Bayer Rose Pride every 3 months and it seems to work

• mgleason56
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 325 plus 100 babies
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 600
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 5 or 6
    4a. With what: MG and organics
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 3
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: Too many to remember.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: Counting the babies, 10 Orange Juice.
    9. What and how often? Bayer for roses, trees, etc. Every 14 days when weather permits.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 37
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 60
    3. Number of years growing roses: 9
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 5
    4a. With what: Rose Tone in April and June; alfalfa cubes in April, Miracle Grow in July and August
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: The Mayflower - 5 (2 were sucker babies)
    8. Do you spray with fungicides? yes
    9. What and how often? Daconil (sp?)in May then Bayer every 3 weeks

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 87 plus 32 minis (which don't count)
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: current number
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 3-4 times
    4a. With what: 16-16-16 in early spring, Miraclegro later on
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 3
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: Occasionally but I don't have any room left to do that anymore. If I really like a poor performer, I may pot it up.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 3 Summer Fashions--I rooted some for a person who got them elsewhere.
    8. Do you spray with fungicides? Sometimes.
    9. What and how often? Rarely, but sometimes for rust or PM.

1. Do you spray with insecticide/miticide? I have often sprayed for aphids once or twice in early spring but not this year as I was around to wash them off daily. I got lots of ladybugs and they finally cleared off all the aphids. I used to spray for mites but garlic chives seems to keep them at bay.
    2. What and how often? see above
  • peachiekean
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: around 50 have not counted recently
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: see above
    3. Number of years growing roses: between 25 and 30 years
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 1-2
    4a. With what: Fish emulsion and or EB Stone Rose Food. Recently Osmocote due to my physical issues.
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: 2 - both doing better.
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 2 Irish Hope (2 plants emerged from one band.

• peachiekean
    12 years ago

Additionally, I keep spray around for emergencies but as a rule, no. My plants must rely on praying mantis and ladybugs plus my watering. If too many bugs and disease target a rose, it's outta here. Clair Matin is on the sp list for this reason.

I'm way less obsessed than before. Gettin' older, I guess.

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: According to HMF, I have 1756, however several have died this yr and I have no idea how many duplicate, unknown or baby OP seedlings there are.
    1a. How many roses do you wish you had: around 800
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: Probably 1800
    3. Number of years growing roses: 21
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: once if I'm lucky
    4a. With what: my own blended organics or 16-16-16
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: maybe 4?
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: probably 4
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 3 - AGNES WINCHEL, only because two were mis-marked..
    8. Do you spray with fungicides? Don't have time..

1. Do you spray with insecticide/miticide? Don't have time..
  • kitcatclub
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 128
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 297
    3. Number of years growing roses: 12
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 1, if lucky
    4a. With what: Rose Tone, alfalfa pellets
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: unknown
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: Tamora (3)
    8. Do you spray with fungicides? no
    9. What and how often? NA

1. Do you spray with insecticide/miticide? no
    2. What and how often? NA

Great question, Harmony!

KCC

Here is a link that might be useful: The Stubborn Gardener

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 49
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 50
    4a. With what: Blood meal & fish my neighbor catches that are too small to fry & eat
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: once
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: once
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 1 of each
    9. What and how often? Bayer Advanced, about 4 times a year, for blackspot only. No other disease issues.

2. What and how often? NA
  • Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 136

2. Most roses you've had at one time: 136

3. Number of years growing roses:20

4a. With what:alfalfa, fish fertilizer. New roses get time release osmocote.
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 4 or 5

6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: lots, remodeling garden beds. My friend says that if I left them alone they might bloom :-)

7. Most of a single rose that you have: 2 Jude the Obscure

8. Do you spray with fungicides? did this year

9. What and how often? Dormant

1. Do you spray with insecticide/miticide? no

2. What and how often?

• peachymomo
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 60
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 60
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: 4
    4a. With what: Alfalfa Meal
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 1
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: 4
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: 2, I have doubles of Autumn Sunset, Joseph's Coat, Mr. Lincoln, and Flower Carpet Scarlet.
    8. I don't spray with anything.

*I have to add that I'm counting the roses at my house as well as my mothers' house, she kindly lets me garden at her place because she has more sun and room than I do.

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Well you know, some of these questions really can't be answered accurately by those of us who have been growing roses for more than a few years or in different gardens in different climates and soil types. I've had - let's see - 5 different rose gardens, in two states, with two very different climates, disease pressures and soil types.

that said I'll see what I can put together to answer the questions I can answer.

Current number of roses: don't know. About 25 or so.

Most at one time: 80.

Years growing roses: over 30

I move roses at the least provocation, and sometimes because I'm moving to a new garden. Over the course of 30 years I couldn't possibly count how many times I've moved roses in general or one rose in particular.
    I fertilize once in early spring, and after every bloom cycle. Not on a calendar schedule. I prefer organics, but use what is best available in my current area and what is best for my current soil conditions.

Spraying is entirely dependent on conditions. I avoid insecticides mainly because my location allows me to.

Number of duplicates: I have 2 of Marie Pavie, but only because it split in two when I dug it up to move to a new garden. I once had 25 Pink Simplicity for a hedge. Hedge plants don't really count.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

1. Current Number of Roses: 256
    2. Most roses you've had at one time: 1500+
    3. Number of years growing roses: 28+
    4. Number of times a year you fertilize: sometimes
    4a. With what: Grow Power Plus
    5. Most times you've moved a single rose: 7
    6. Number of times you've moved roses that weren't doing well, or you weren't happy with their location: approx. 7+
    7. Most of a single rose that you have: Currently, 6 - Tom Thumb; 4 - R. Minutifolia; 4 - Cineraire.

There were over 300 roses yesterday, however, I am divesting myself of my pot ghetto. 150, 5 gallon nursery cans have been recycled through my favorite nursery. 46 roses went home with a friend who will give them a good home, and I delivered two more to her this morning. We FILLED her truck. Thankfully, she had no difficulties getting them home. I think a tow truck would have had issues pulling her with that load! Do I miss some of them? Yes, but having one-sixth of the number I once had should afford me the "luxury" of pimping more pollen and actually taking care of some of them. Feels kinda good! Kim