Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison64_gw

Do you grow Cinderella (Kordes)?

allison64
14 years ago

I just received my Ashdown roses. Have you or do you grow Kordes Cinderella? What do you think?

Comments (10)

• allison64
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like you are doing a very nice job with her! Great idea, tripod training. Only in its 2nd year and looks like it's winner. Very cool. your yard is beautiful! Thanks for the pics and info Eric! Oh hey, what about fragrance for you?

Allison

• karenforroses
    14 years ago

Were you thinking of the Kordes 'Cinderella Fairy Tale"? I just got one this spring from Palatine Roses and it is coming on nicely, filled with buds, but hasn't bloomed yet. The foliage is nice and shiny and healthy. The beautiful pictures above look like Kordes 'Cinderella Freelander' and Kordes also have a 'Cinderella' miniature, so it's a tad confusing. The Fairy Tale Cinderella has more of an old fashioned Austin type bloom with many petals.

• cincy_city_garden
    14 years ago

Thanks Allison, the fragrance is not strong to me.

Karen, this is the Fairy Tale Cinderella. The thrips have been doing a number on it this season, so they're not looking typical.

Eric

• jumbojimmy
    14 years ago

Eric - your Cinderella Fairy Tale looks fantastic! I've made the mistake by pruning mine hard - thus I've totally ruined the overall shape. Whatever you do, do not prune it yet - let it grow, because yours can be as pretty as Brigitta's Cinderella Fairy Tale.

Eric definitely has Cinderella Fairy Tale - a climbing floribunda one with mild- to- none apple scent. It's very thorny and has glossy,dark thick leaves.

"Cinderella Freelander" is a hybrid Tea rose and is supposedly fragrant. Therefore, I'm sure Allison is refering to the hybridTea variety instead of the floribunda one(Cinderella Fairy-Tale).

Here is a link that might be useful: Brigitta's Cinderella FairyTale

• allison64
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi JumboJimmy, I purchased this from Ashdown and it is Cinderella Fairy Tale. I saw that name on HelpMeFind, but it was just one of a few names.

*Ashdowns' info: Cinderella
    (KORfobalt) - Shrub, light pink, Zone 5 - Introduced in 2003 by Kordes, W. Sohne - Growth Size & Characteristics are: large shrub (5'+), short climber (under 10'), fragrant, repeat flowering, cutting.
    Ashdown Detailed Description:
    Winner of gold medals in Baden-Baden, Geneva and Rome this stunning rose bears old fashioned blooms with a fruity apple like scent all season long on a very disease resistant shrub. The growth is relaxed and in warm climates it can be a small climber.*

Yes, Erics' does look beautiful! I am going to put the picture beside mine so she has an idea of what I want her to accomplish in the next couple years... Cinderella is used to being ordered about, eh? hardy har haha...

Brigittas pics are wonderful. (Saved the link, thank you)

Allison

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

I have Cinderella, Elegant and Caramel.
    I got them last fall from Pickerings.
    So far they look *very* promising with very clean foliage.
    Not a speck of mildew or blackspot.
    Not very fragrant but VERY pretty and old fashioned looking. It does seem that alot of the modern disease free roses aren't very fragrant. At least these are fluffy!
    I may just end up replacing some slacker Austins with more FT roses.

Caramel
    {{gwi:307253}}
    Elegant
    {{gwi:307255}}
    Cinderella
    {{gwi:307257}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Fairytale Roses

• allison64
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bethany, thank you for the link. Your roses and garden look great!
    I think with the Romanticas (Meilland)and Fairy Tale roses from Kordes we have some nice choices.
    Can't wait till next year!
    Allison

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

You're most welcome! ;o)
    I think I'm going to try more if the 3 I have remain disease free and repeat well this summer.
    Top of my list:
    Pomponella & Brothers Grimm.

• Sarena Altman (7a Middle TN)
    2 years ago

@cincy_city_garden hows your wonderful cinderella rose doing? Im planting one next spring!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH