Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Rose/Clematis combination

proudgm_03
15 years ago

Anyone with pictures? I think this would be a beautiful combination and would like to see some.

Comments (10)

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

I have quite a few clems and roses around the garden, but photos of only a couple together. Here goes:

New Dawn & Clematis Viticella 'Venosa Violacea'(Perle D'azur is on the other side of the arch, but you can't see it in this photo)

{{gwi:237439}}

Abe Darby & Clematis Integrefolia 'Arabella'

{{gwi:228959}}

Oh, and here's Evelyn with Venosa Violacea also.....

{{gwi:307380}}

Once you start, you will find that you want them all!

Judith

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

Wow!! Those are stunning - ESPECIALLY the last picture with the yellow and the electric blue!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!

Carol

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

viticella Venosa Violacea with American Beauty petal :)

{{gwi:307385}}

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

I. love. those pinks and purples! When my Chalk Hill clems arrive in August I have a spot reserved beside my Coral Dawn for a deep purple "Romantika.'

• bluesibe
    15 years ago

There is a wonderful book about how to combine roses and clematis by John Howell or Howells.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Love the Westerland/Semu and the Limelight/Harlow Carr. Absolutely beautiful!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Mixed bed outside my bedroom features Venosa Violacea and Gypsy Queen flanking the window:
    {{gwi:230389}}

Westerland with Betty Corning
    {{gwi:226504}}

Arbor with Westerland and Betty Corning
    {{gwi:222609}}

Its nice to see some of the group are growing Venosa Violacea. She's a great clematis.
    {{gwi:227058}}

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Harry, love your photos! Your Westerland is what made me decide to order one too. I also have Betty Corning, and love her, but have her planted behind Chloris, which, for me, has produced only dried up buds. So much for the beautiful display I was hoping for! This is her third year and my patience is running out. One more spring....and if I don't get any results, off with her head.

I agree, Venosa Violacea is not planted nearly often enough. It's tough, very beautiful and easy care. All of the viticella's I've tried are wonderful.

And thank you, Carol and Proudgm.

Judith

• dowhatnow
    12 years ago

I've got the following roses and clematis plants and any ideas or thought on clems to add to my collection would be most welcome...
    I've got an Alchymist climber on a wooden fence out in the middle of my yard, with room for two more climbers, or some shrub roses. I have other roses on the other side of my yard by my house--Eden, Jude the Obscure, Evelyn, Olympiad, Fantin LaTour and some Casblanca lilies planted nearby, adding as I can afford extra bulbs and can find them at the growers.
    I just got two clems, Rhapsody and Vyvyan Penell--one of which I plan to set out with my Alchymist. Preferences? Beyond that, I have two clems I don't know the exact names of yet--they were mismarked when I bought them, and are not what's on the tag!I will upload photos once they bloom. Those two are planted by the Eden and the FL....whatever they are, lol, they are currently thriving.
    Any idea on adding roses and clems to my fence or shrubs would be fantastic food for thought, and would be most welcome.