Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Cob bedding for roses and plants?

Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 15:24

I have 3 birds and use that corn cob bedding. I don't know if anyone else does, but I was cleaning out their cages today and thought to myself...
I wonder if I could use some of that for helping with drainage or just for adding some OM to the soil? I have to throw so much away after they use it. I don't necessarily mean "the used stuff" but even the new from the bag.
Anyone ever use it? Just curious. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Cob bedding for roses and plants?

Undecayed organic material is not suitable for mixing into the garden soil but is good for mulching.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 17:06

The used stuff would be even better. Don't throw it away!Just compost it first. If you have a trash can that has been better days, cut the bottom off, put it somewhere on bare ground, pile the stuff in there and let it compost. Your roses will be deeply grateful.

o

Use it from the birds after they do their thing in it. The original clean product will absorb nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes. Any bird droppings in it will help the nitrogen content soless will be taken from the soil. Guano, bird/bat crap, is collected from caves and bird rookeries and sold as fertilizer. It's higher in nitrogen content than animal manures. Mixed with the corn cob bedding it'll make a good organic soil amendment, helping drainage and water retention. You could even use it as a mulch but it'll probably tend to blow away in high winds, although once it settles it should stay where it is.

o

As long as it's ground up cobs.

When we bought this farm and were cleaning out a barn that hadn't had mules or anything else four legged and equine in it for at least 40 years, we found corn cobs that were ancient and they hadn't broken down, even in contact with relatively dry soil.

o

If they resist decay, ground cobs might be good to use in potting soil to add bulk, drainage, and water retention.

o

Nothing wrong with the used stuff Just don't use it fresh as others mentioned. Bird doo-doo is very hot. Ground cob is okay for mulch and will decompose in that form.

o

I used to use the ground corn cobs in our bird cage and for our late bunny's litter box. I like the idea of using it in the garden.

If it is leftovers from the birdcage it may contain some birdseed that could sprout -- composting it before putting it on the beds is a good idea.

o

The NPK of chicken manure 1.1 0.8 0.5, not really that high in nitrogen, but unlike other manures it's fast acting and breaks down quickest of all manures.
Because of this use it carefully as it may burn.
It also, stinks like hell so composting it first is definitely recommended.
That said, If you don't have that much of it, you can scratch it in sparingly outside the drip line. By the time it breaks down and reaches the root zone, it should have aged enough so as not to be a problem.
Or, you could place it in a barrel of water and use it as a tea. That should soak the corn cob residue which would help it break down faster. Only problem, it would really smell. You'd probably have to wear a gas mask when you applied it.
We have a chicken ranch/egg operation in our area. When they clean out the chicken houses, it can be smelled for miles around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here