Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
David Austin Roses for Cutting in the Bay Area

Posted by bayarea-girl NorCA 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 15:52

[NorCA 9] I just planned my first David Austin roses WS 2000, Carding Mills, Scepter'd Isle, Bishop's Castle this year and they are all pretty and photogenic. However, I'm looking for more cut flowers instead of just looking pretty in the garden. For instance, Scepter'd Isle is pretty in the garden but I don't think I will use it as cut flowers (small bloom and short vase life).

The thing with David Austin roses is they often very photogenic and it's hard to judge them from their photos. If you grow any David Austin roses for cutting, please let me know which ones work best for you and the photos of the whole bush will be wonderful.

I'm looking for David Austin rose (bush or climbing) that have continuous big blooms, long vase life and perform well in the south bay (Silicon Valley). My garden doesn't have black spot just powdery mildew but it's under control. Thank you for all the suggestions.

This post was edited by bayarea-girl on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 0:10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: David Austin Roses for Cutting in the Bay Area

I am not in your zone but I have Evelyn and golden celebration and they have both held up well for me in a vase. Both were planted his year and so far have been consistent with blooming, very small amount of black spot but that is under control now. Here is pic of both roses in a old glass bottle I have that I use for outside on my porch table. Not the best pic but you get the idea.

o

Thanks boncrow66.

o

Boncrow66: do they both bloom on short stems?? As soon as I figure out which Austin rose has long straight stems, and last more than 5 days in a vase, I'm ready to dive in!

o

Of my Austin's Abraham Darby is my favorite.
Constant flushes of beautiful flowers.
The stems get longer with age. But I'll admit they don't get past around 7 inches or so.
The nodding blooms did improve greatly with age for me.
He is a monster though. I'm training mine as a climber against a wall which I think suits him beautifully.
Vase life is great with him.

I just watched a video from a florist convention. And the Austin spokesperson highly recommended Constance, edith, carrie, and Juliet for vase work.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 15:38

o

I'm swiftly copying those names and running to the internet search engines...Anybody grows any of those???

o

I have Evelyn, Abraham D. and Heritage.

I laughed when one poster said Heritage lasted only long enuf to get it in the house. Exaggerated but true.

So comparing Evelyn and Abe. to that, they are good. But compared to some floribundas or hybrid teas, not good. I figure 3 days their vase life.

o

My Abraham Darby lasts me around 6 days.
I have no clue on the other varieties.

o

My Abraham Darby lasts me around 6 days.
I have no clue on the other varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here