Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top Ten Roses

Posted by dove_song Semi-Arid 5b WA STAT (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 15:57

I know..I know..this is a very difficult question for all of you rose lovers--especially so if you have oodles and oodles of roses. And also if your favorites change with whatever is currently blooming.

BUT just for fun, lets just say, if for some reason it were only possible for you to have 10 ROSES in your garden...YIKES!! ;p which ones would you chose?

Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top Ten Roses

Mostly old and Austin roses, you'll have to forgive me, I strayed over from the Antique Rose forum....

Mutabilis
Souvenir d'un Ami
Le Vesuve
Harlow Carr
Wild Blue Yonder
Yves Piaget
Bishop's Castle
Rosette Delizy
Enchantress
Lavender Dream

Ingrid

o

Not a problem at all Ingrid! :) It'll be lots of fun looking these up on HMF.

Thanks!

Debbie

o

Actually, given that we move regularly, that is a question that has occurred to me before:-). I didn't stray over from the Antique Forum, but my list is a mix too.

1. Secret Garden Musk Climber for fragrance, vigor and amount of bloom.
2. Mme. Caroline Testout for clear pink cabbagey blooms, vigor, and fragrance (in that order).
3. Lady Hillington for the beautiful soft apricot blooms, fragrance, elegant shrub.
4. Sophie's Perpetual, for big clusters of fragrant blooms, and vigor.
5. Jude the Obscure, for fragrance, fragrance, fragrance!
6. William Shakespeare 2000, for gorgeous blooms, quick rebloom, clean foliage all the way down to the ground.
7. Sharifa Asma for beautiful soft pink blooms, lots of fragrance, nice shrub shape, clean foliage.
8. Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel, for fragrant blooms that show their stamens.
9. Golden Celebration for beautifully shaped golden blooms with lots of fragrance on a clean plant.
10. Rosette Delizy for a beautiful blend of flowers, clean foliage and good vigor.

I have a few runners up which are too young to talk about (Fragrant Masterpiece, Lyda, Peter Mayle, Pope John Paul II). Actually most of my roses would probably be my favorite:-)

Masha

o

Only ten, huh? Here goes (these are not in order by preference just my favorite 10 this moment as I glance out over the yard).

1. Ink Spots
2. Fragrant Plum
3. Tiffany
4. Hot Cocoa
5. Fragrant Cloud
6. Strike It Rich
7. Dolly Parton
8. Tahitian Sunset
9. Chrysler Imperial
10. Lasting Love

o

Hmmm my ten most favoritest would have to be

1. Takao
2. Stranger
3. Kordes' Brilliant
4. Henri Matisse
5. O'Rilla
6. Rhapsody in Blue
7. Green Dynasty
8. Wedding Cake
9. Flame of Love
10. Berries N' Cream

and eleventh would be Red Intuition.

Kathy

o

Kathy, where did you find "Stranger"? I have been trying to find this rose for years.
Lana

o

Well, I haven't had 100s of roses like some posters (jealous, jealous), so I have a limited knowledge. But here goes

1. Elizabeth Taylor - loads of blooms, lasts forever
2. Valencia - bloom quantity, size, fragrance, lasts
3. Prairie Sunrise - the stuffed, fragrant blooms
4. L.D. Braithwaite - tons of blooms, last forever,
5. Morden Blush - old faithful - tons of blooms
6. John Davis - old faithful - tons of blooms
7. Jude the Obscure - fragrance
8. Tournament of Roses - wow! the blooms!!
9. Stephens Big Purple - the fragrance!! the blooms (30 buds ready to pop plus the 5 open blooms - huge 6" blooms
10. Julia Child - bush perfection, tons of flowers

Wow! That was fun!

Carol

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 23:10

Only 10?? No way!

Not in any particular order:

1 - RED INTUITION
2 - ROEDEAN
3 - BUTTERSCOTCH CL
4 - IRISH CREAM
5 - TWILIGHT ZONE
6 - RUSTY
7 - VENDEE IMPERIALE
8 - MILVA
9 - FLORA DANICA
10 - SUPERSTITION (or STEPHEN RULO maybe)

This could easily change at any time... (as you all know...)

o

• Chicago Peace
  • Disneyland Rose
  • Ebb Tide
  • Heirloom
  • Lavaglut
  • Nancy Reagan
  • Pure Poetry
  • Sexy Rexy
  • tournament of roses
  • william shakespeare 2000

o

My list will change depending on whats in bloom but today's list is:

1. Stephens Big Purple--love the name, love the color, love the form, love the fragrance
2. Julia Child--how appropriate, a butter colored rose named for Julia Child
3. The Prince--right now is in full bloom, same color as SBP. I love the purples!
4. Grace--dainty apricot flowers and tea fragrance
5. Tropical Sunset--doesn't stop blooming, yellow and hot pink stripes--what fun!
6. Evelyn--everyone says she's a diva, but for me she is one of my most reliable, vigorous roses
7. Chrysler Imperial--has the best rich red color, my other red roses seem kinda flat in comparison
8. Constance Spry--only blooms once a year but when she does, she is breath taking
9. Celeste--a once bloomer but is the most delicate, perfect shade of pink
10. Rosa Glauca--not much in the way of flowers, but love the foliage

o

My top ten (no spray)
1. Cramoisi Superieur
2. Mrs. B.R. Cant
3. Souvenir de la Malmaison
4. Quietness
5. Cottage Rose
6. Ducher
7. Rev d' Or
8. Caldwell Pink
9. Penelope
10. Georgetown Tea
11. Carefree Sunshine

I have quite a few others that are just as good. I am not counting my new plants that seem good this year.

Sammy

o

Beth I'm so excited you put up a list! I'm impressed you stopped at ten though. Your 'short' list could have been your favorite 100:) Now I can go over to HMF and check several of those out.

By the way the Lavender Pinocchio I learned about from you, new in my yard this year, has been a charmer so far. Thanks for the information on that rose.

Kate

o

1.Pope John Paul 2
2.Abe Darby
3. Double Delight
4. Angel Face
5. Teasing Georgia
6. Peace
7. Diana, POW
8. Eden
9. Osiria
10.SecretPhotobucket

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 9:04

Yeah Kate, it was hard to stop at 10!! (or was it 11?) LOL Glad to hear you're liking your LP. It's a good rose. I love how it's constantly changing colors.

o

susan, what is the name of that white/pink rose? I can't tell if it just says "Secret" or what? Whatever, it is gorgeous!

o

The one on the left is a blossom from Eden. Climber. Secret is the one on the right, mostly obscured. The Eden is about 6 years old. Thanks!

o

Here is my list as well, some that I have & some that I still desire for:

1. Eden

2. Chrysler Imperial

3. Heritage

4. Abraham Darby

5. Sov. de la Malmaison

6. Neptune

7. The Prince - Want it!

8. Duchesse de Brabant - Want it!

9. Variegata de Bologna - Want it!

10. Spirit of Freedom - Want it!

o

I had better answer this off the top of my head. Otherwise I'll agonize too much over it. With only 10 I've got to go for big ones, so I'll forget all the minis I love. So.... What occurs to me first would be, in no particular order of preference:

Chicaso Peace
Bride's Dream
Veteran's Honor
Red Intuition
Valencia
Pope John Paul II
Alec's Red
Brigadoon
Peace
Secret

That was still hard. I left out some of my favorate cutting roses because they're not so great garden performers, or because I haven't had them longe enough (at least 3 years) to know their long-term performance--sorry Papa Meilland.
Wow! Guess what class of rose I'm biased toward. ; )

Mike

o

Mike -- I am very interested in knowing how Papa Meilland is performing in your New Orleans garden, even if the results are preliminary. Thanks in advance . . .

o

I am renewing my garden and have lots of want- to- haves but these are ten I would buy again for vigour, reliablity, scent or appearance. No particular order.
Arthur Bell
Double Delight
Brides Maid
Die Welt
Molineux
Nicole
Rainbow Niagara/Marvelle
Maria Stern
Chicago Peace
Garden Party

o

Top Ten Roses a moving measurement

Requirements: the plant has to be beautiful in its own right, and it has to have an outstanding mid-summer bloom.

Crown Princess Margareta
Climbing Jackie
Burgundy Iceberg
JACtan
Abraham Darby
Just Joey
Cardinal Hume
Belle Story
Pretty Lady
Cornelia (doesn't quite make the mid-summer thing, but the spring bloom lasts exceptionally well); likely to be replaced on the list by Penelope with another year of growth.

o

My top 10:
1 Perle d'Or
2 Ebb Tide
3 Souvenir de St.Anne
4 Julia Child
5 Cinco de Mayo
6 Mutabilis
7 Tamora
8 Showbiz
9 Dream Come True (DH finds it incredible that one plant can produce pink roses and yellow roses at the same time!)
10 I'm going to go with Knockout - so easy and reliable. Though most here don't consider it a 'real' rose, it's great for hedges (and a boost of confidence!)

o

If I could only grow 10 roses??? OUCH!!! Louise Estes, Moonstone, Brinessa, Lady of the Dawn, Hannah Gorden, Hot Cocoa, Souv. de la Malmaison, Pink Pet, Whirlaway, Tiffany Lynn.

o

JACtan is also known as Butterscotch climber...

o

Lana -- my Stranger came from Steve at Wisconsin Roses, but I don't think he grows it anymore.

Kathy

o

Oh boy ten huh?

Souvenir de Madame Lonie Viennot
Baronne Henriette DeSnoy
Mrs. Dudley Cross
Rev d'Or
Abe Darby
Pretty Lady
Belindas Dream
Perle d'Or
Monsieur Tillier
Clotilde Soupert

jeesh, that's all? lol

o

Let's see. If I could only have 10 roses in my garden, I might cry.

The first couple choices are rather easy, but it soon becomes agonizing the further down the list I go.

1. Buff Beauty--what a wonderful hybrid musk. Takes a lot of room, but that's what I have --room--near the back fence. Tough--and quite a bloomer in spring.

2. Eutin--I've grown this floribunda in every single garden I've ever had for over 40 years. In addition to eye-catching red blooms in BIG sprays, it is disease-resistant and dependable as the day is long.

3. Double Delight--probably my favorite hybrid tea--visual feast.

4. Molineux--but I'd rather have three of them (like I presently do) planted fairly close together to form one larger bush--the better to display those prolific blooms (and fast re-bloom).

5. Here I'm flipping a coin. Which would I rather have: Clement's Braveheart shrub or Austin's William Shakespeare? The first is a true red, the second a lovely old-fashioned purple red. Hmmmm--maybe there will still be room on this list for both? We'll see--I would honestly have to flip a coin on this one.

6. Eden climber. Like WOW! So beautiful.

7. Elina--this is her second year, and I am already won over. Very floriferous and disease-resistant, especially when you consider she is a hybrid tea. Creamy color with some yellow shading in the center.

(Oh-oh--I running out of space. Already I'm mentally saying "I'm sorry" to the roses that are not making the list--the older tried and true roses and the new promising "youngsters" in my garden.)

8. I guess this will be Peter Mayle--eye-catching hot pink hybrid tea. Big fat blooms.

9. Mrs. John Laing--this hybrid perpetual also has those big fat blooms--lighter pink.

10. One spot left--another coin flipper: either Austin's Queen of Sweden or Austin's Jubilee Celebration. Two such different roses. Queen is is vertical with exquisite light pink blooms (with a touch of apricot) and Jubilee Celebration is shorter and bushier with nodding salmon pink (with a touch of yellow at the base) blooms. Don't know. You will have to flip the coin and let me know who the winner is.

That was hard work! LOL

Kate

o

Radio Times--Ok, I know there are disease issues, but the blooms are to die for.

Evelyn

Graham Thomas

Captain Thomas

Polka

SDLM and S. de St. Anne and Mme. Cornelisson

Cherryade

Alister Stella Grey

Princesse de Nassau

Secret Garden Musk Climber

o

The top ten for me and the ones that I grow now.

1. Brigadoon - best hybrid tea out there, I feel.

2. Neptune

3. Marilyn Monroe

4. Osiana

5. Rainbow Niagara

6. Pope John Paul II

7. Gemini

8. Glorious

9. Stephen Rulo

10. Chicago Peace

o

Okay...here I go.

1. Ballerina...literally ALWAYS blooming. The blooms flounce in the breeze. A big, bushy, pink, dancing bush. Hardy.

2. Evelyn...I just love her. She's so beautiful.

3. Christopher Marlowe... one of my all time favorite rose fragrances. Love the colors of this rose. I wish I had room to have a dozen of them in a big, beautiful, colorful hedge.

4. Baby's Blanket...cascades down my rock garden. Huge, pink sprays that look like perfect, soft pink HT's.

5. Honey Perfume...such a beautiful honey color, great fragrance, always blooming.

6. Jubilee Celebration...a blooming fool! Gorgeous colors and fragrance.

7. Gertrude Jekyll...worth it just to experience the spring flush...swoon!

8. Veilchenblau...climbing my maple tree, growing higher every year. Blooms in mid-June. Incredible rose.

9. Aunt Honey...my workhorse. She is 6' tall and covered in blooms while most everyone else is dormant in this summer heat. Nice fragrance, beautiful dark pink.

10. Papa Meilland...can't live without the fragrance.

o

generally I go for hardiness, fragrance, disease resitance, and rebloom

1- the fairy, no fragrance, but a blooming indestructible machine

2- prairie breeze, blooms don't do well cut, but again a blooming machine

3- jude the obscure - fragrance

4- abraham darby - fragrance and not as likely to ball as others in its class

5- teasing georgia - fragrance and i love the profusion of blooms at the end of the stems

6- bella'roma - fragrance, rebloom, coloring

7- strike it rich - fragrance and coloring

8- honeysweet

9- sweet fragrance

10 - jacelvet is getting up there- i love the dark colors of it's blooms, sometimes it has a fragrance and sometimes not

my christopher marlowe, love the smell & color, but it's still a little too small to see its full potential (planted as a band last year)

usually i wouldn't be able to narrow it down to 10, but my roses are acting a little odd this year with the cooler temps and very wet weather

o

Tamora
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Tiffany
Sweet Surrender
William Shakespeare 2000
Molineux
Westerland
Earth Song
Heirloom
Knock Out

o

In no particular order:

Wm. Shakespeare 2000 (we have 2, it is so good!)
Teasing Georgia-always blooming tons!
Golden Celebration (x2)-we love better than Graham Thomas
Well Being - very unique coloration/bloom form
Star of the Nile-very unique in color & scent (incredible!)
Red Eden
Traviata (x2) Blooms have great substance & longevity
Strike It Rich - gorgeous orange, scalloped type edges
Julia Child-incredible yellow blooms
Hot Cocoa-we had a grafted one a few years ago, but it died over the winter..it was SO beautiful and floriferous, I just HAD to try an own-root one this year

WHEN it blooms, Rouge Royale is INCREDIBLE. I just got another one, but this time I put it in a more sun-intense location, with NO shade, as the other gets a little shade and I am wondering if this is the reason it is slow to bloom.
Phyl

o

1. Don Juan
2. Belinda's Dream
3. Neptune
4. Sov. de la Malmaison
5. Lady of Guadalupe
6. Queen Mary 2
7. Scentamental
8. Celine Forrestier
9. Chihuly
10. St. Patrick

o

In no particular order:

1) 'Suzanne'

2) 'Stanwell Perpetual'

3) R. glauca/R. rugosa rubra

4) 'Roundelay'

5) 'Linda Campbell'

6) 'Tuscany Superb'/'Ville de Bruxelles'/'Konigin von Danemark' (any one of these could easily take a position in Top Ten roses of all time, IMO)

7) 'Westerland'

8) 'Apricot Twist'

9) 'William Baffin'

10) 'Hansa'

I could have just as easily selected thirty or forty other superb roses from the 3000 I grow, but since the limit was 10. I would also have gladly included a number of un-named seedlings in my collection, some my own, some by other breeders and of widely varied pedigree.

You will note that there isn't a David Austin roses on that list, and thats because after 15 years of fussing with them, I have pretty much written them all off for one reason or another. Most have severe disease problems and many do not rebloom well. Few live up to the hype accorded them. There is still one that I think I would include on a list of Top Fifty and thats 'William Shakespeare 2000', which comes mighty close to being the ideal English rose, disease resistance included.

You will also note that there is but one Hybrid Tea on my list, and its an old, obscure one. 'Roundelay' is one of the most outstanding HTs I have ever had the pleasure to grow. Not only is it a shapely, rounded shrub (even with zero pruning) but it is 100% disease free in my garden (remarkable for any class, let alone a Hybrid Tea) and is rich of color and has a pleasant scent. It reblooms very well with minimal care and is by far the sturdiest HT I have grown, on its own roots. 'Tiffany' might easily have made Top Ten if it was more consistent in bloom quality through the season, and if it was a bit quicker with rebloom. Definitely a Top Twenty-five rose, though.

Paul B.

o

Paul, with that many roses, I'm surprised you can decide on just 10. LOL

Very interesting list, but I was wondering why Austins have so much trouble where you live. Is it just the disease problem? I don't grow the disease-prone Austins myself, but have some that are no more trouble than any other reasonably disease-resistant rose in my garden. Just curious.

Kate

o

Here's a mixed bag of hardy and reliable roses:

1. Compassion
2. Constance Spry
3. Debutante
4. Henri Martin
5. James Mason
6. Madame Caroline Testout
7. Maiden's Blush
8. Marchenland
9. Metis
10. Scharlachglut

o

"I was wondering why Austins have so much trouble where you live. Is it just the disease problem?"

No, its not just the disease problem; many of the Austins I have grown over the years have been essentially once-bloomers for me, with a scattering of blooms here and there in August/September. Coupled with their propensity to Blackspot, they are not very good performers compared to many other shrubs. Some are just Blackspot disasters for me, 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' for example: the original Leafless Wonder.

I should have/could have included 'James Mason' and 'Mme. Caroline Testout' on that list easily as well.

Paul

o

My top ten roses are in no particular order:

1. Eden (love the combination of white petals on the outer side and pink petals in the center together in one bloom and the incredible full flowers. I also detect a mild, but very pleasant scent. When it is good it is really good!)
2. New Dawn (one of the loveliest pink roses ever and so vigorous)
3. Gertrude Jekyll (the fragrance is heavenly to my nose and I love the color)
4. Mr. Lincoln (I really like blue-ish red HTs and Mr. Lincoln is a very beautiful one, with very large flowers)
5. Zephirine Drouhin (very special pleasant fragrance, that is so strong, that it wafts through the air)
6. Pope John Paul II (white is my favorite color and the flower shape of this rose is almost perfect. As an additional bonus it has a very strong fragrance)
7. Iceberg (even though it is very common in CA, I don't get tired of it, because I love the flower shape, the honey like fragrance, the vigor, but most of all, that it is such a floriferous white rose)
8. Our Lady of Guadalupe (the silvery rose pink flowers of this rose are very elegant and it is quite a working horse, too)
9. William Shakespeare 2000 (don't grow this rose, yet, but I have seen quite some nice specimens on someone else' garden and a lot of very lovely photos. It is on my rose order list for 2010)
10. Yolande d'Aragon (incredibly beautiful pink blooms, with many, many, petals and the fragrance is to die for)

I grow most of them in my current garden, but there are two that I have only grown in my previous gardens and one, that as mentioned, I don't grow myself, yet.

o

In no particular order
Double Delight- Great repeat, awesome fragrance.
Typhoo Tea- A little tall, but it smells soooo good, excellent repeat
Heirloom- I little challenges with BS, but so beautiful and wonderfully fragrant
Sharif Asma- Cold hardy, Delecious fragrance, excell repeat
Papa Meilland- What can I say, a classic red with unbeatable fragrance
Rose de Rescht- Blooms in low light, winter hardy, great fragrance
Fragrant Cloud- Love the color, fragrance, repeat
Autumn Sunset- Love the color, disease resistance, scent
Firefighter- This was is perfect for cutting. Lots of long stems, great fragrance/repeat.
Home Run- A great little carefree workhorse that is always in bloom, even in the shade.
Al

o

1. Crimson Glory, tops in fragrance
2. Chrysler Imperial, got me hooked on roses
3. Mister Lincoln
4. Papa Meilland
5. Peace
6. French Lace
7. Double Delight
8. Perfume Delight
9. Fragrant Cloud
10. Julia Child
11. Pope John Paul II
12. Melody Parfumee
13. Tiffany

o

I only have 16 roses, so it seems more like which ones I don't want in the top 10. :( I actually like them all even though Zephirine Drouhin is a mildew disaster....blooms are still nice though and grows through it though.

I have no order for these things so I just go with whatever comes to mind:

--Red Eden-GORGEOUS blooms. Moderate old rose/light tea mix fragrance coupled with gorgeous globular blooms that are PACKED with petals. It also helps that it is a true red, but can fade off into a slight cerise color since it has white tones in it. Blooms last 3 weeks with ease.
--Evelyn-Havn't even seen it bloom yet as I have only had it in the ground for 2 weeks.....doesn't matter.....after seeing hoovb's bush shots of Evelyn, I'm completely sold
--Winchester Cathedral-A very pretty slightly translucent white that has a wonderful fragrance. Not so much in terms of strength, but in it's accurate description of honey and almonds. It's a unique and refreshing fragrance.
--Golden Celebration-What a puzzling color this one is. Starts out pink, then yellow, but is also apricot in the centers...bizarre. However it has been vigorous for me in it's short time with me and the blooms are very sweetly scented.
--Graham Thomas--Vigorous grower with rather different yellow coloring in being a deep yet light yellow. Blooms don't last long and tend to fry easily, but when they are nice, they smell awesome. Described as a tea scent, it is quite powerful and has some citrusy undertones to it.
--William Shakespeare 2000-Pretty sure everybody loves this guy. Has spindly growth at times, but it can be controlled with pruning and when the blooms open properly they have a gorgeous resemblence to an old gallica and have a moderate, yet very pleasant fragrance.
--Abraham Darby-Picked this guy up for $5 while he was in bloom just over a week ago...crazy. The bloom sucked me in and the fragrance was incredible. I couldn't pass him up. Bloom size is large and he smells like a fruit tray.
--Pat Austin--What a vigorous grower Pat is. She tends to throw octopus arms out but blooms quite mightily and has larger blooms(4.5") then described in some places I've looked and she is only in her 1st year. Definitely a moderately strong tea fragrance. Foilage is a big selling point. Pat has beautiful semi-glossy healthy green looking leaves.
--Pretty Jessica
--Sharifa Asma

Like Evelyn, Pretty Jessica and Sharifa Asma are new bands that are in the process of putting new growth out. Either way, I know PJ won't let me down and I take everybody's word for Sharifa's fragrance so they go in by default based on reports and successes with my previous Austins. They won't leave the list unless they are supersceded or have problems later.

And just because I feel bad:
White Eden- Like Red Eden, nice LONG lasting white blooms that last forever and the rose has fewer/less agressive thorns.
Belinda's Dream- SWEET fragrance....very sweet. Big beautiful HT pink blooms and the blooms keep pumping out despite the mildew she has been having(due to location).

o

Chicago Peace
Scepter'd Isle
Cramoisi Superieur
Pretty Jessica
Mutabilis
Chuckles
Clementina Carbonieri
Duchesse du Brabant
Double Delight
Pink Gruss

I forbid myself from buying any more pink, cup-shaped roses.

o

My top ten are:

1. Pretty Jessica - David Austin English rose
2. Pacific Serenade - Miniature
3. Pink Gruss an Aachen - shrub rose
4. Duchesse de Brabant - true tea rose
5. Souvenir de la Malmaison - bourbon rose
6. Heritage - David Austin English rose
7. White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth - China rose
8. Nur Mahal - Hybrid Musk
9. Comtesse du Cayla - China
10. Reine des Violettes - Hybrid Perpetual

Randy

o

My rose planting is new..So I don't have a top 10. But I have a top 2. Julia Child and Valencia..so far

o

1 Eutin Vigorous floribunda, no BS, no JB's constant bloom
2 Hippolyte Wonderful color,form,fragrance. Long bloom
3 Robusta Brilliant red, ever blooming
4 Illusion Best red climber for cold zones
5 Apothecarys Rose Long profuse bloom, powerful fragrance
6 Lavaglut Small deep red, long lasting flowers
7 Baltimore Belle Hundreds of flowers, huge, fragrant,hardy
8 Rokoko Really pretty ruffled, light pink, big flowers
9 Andre le Notre Meilland HT, fragrant, great form
10 Parkzauber Unusual color, form, very tough and hardy

o

Alphabetically :

1.Angel Face : Sentimental favorite,but also a very generous bloomer and I love the color.Good fragrance.
2.Chrysler Imperial : Great form,top heat performance,neat plant,and breathtaking fragrance.Holds smell well even when cut.
3.Double Delight : One of a kind smeller.Color draws people to it.
4.Fragrant Memory aka Jadis : Powerful fragrance and very shapely flowers.Love the lilac overtones to the bright medium pink.Good cutter.
5.Heirloom : Another mauve family favorite.Does well in the heat here,smells unique.Love the magenta overtones.
6.Ivory Tower : Little known gem.Beautiful color contrasts including apricot at the heart,pink on the edges,and mixed tones of ivory and white.Nice high centered form and good habit too.
7.St.Patrick : THE yellow rose to have in hot weather.Lasts and lasts even in 100+ temps.Nice green overtones.Generous bloomer.Great cut flower.No disease.
8.Tiffany : Family favorite.Strong disease resistance,lots of flowers,great smell,nice color.What more could one want?
9.Touch of Class : One of only two here that aren't fragrant(along with St.Pat.)But it's form is impeccable and the colors beautiful.Lasts very well in water.
10.Tropicana : Old family favorite.Not as smelly as most others here,but still a good fruity whiff.Blooms a lot.Strong growing plant that shakes off any disease in gets in fall.Good repeater.Love the color.

Ones that didn't quite make the cut today,but are close and might qualify depending on when asked : (I'd also hate to be without these regardless)

Bewitched
Blue Moon
Chicago Peace
Garden Party
Miss All-American Beauty
Oklahoma
Peace
Perfume Delight
President Herbert Hoover
Shreveport (Despite low fragrance,better than Tropicana overall imo,but isn't Dad's #1 favorite)

o

Tough choice - I have 180 roses, but here goes....

1. Heritage (Austin shrub)
2. Jude the Obscure (Austin shrub)
3. Golden Celebration (Austin shrub)
4. New Dawn (climber)
5. William Shakespeare 2000 (Austin shrub)
6. Gertrude Jekyll (Austin shrub)
7. Prairie Sunrise (Buck shrub)
8. Quietness (Buck shrub)
9. Tess of the d' Urbervilles (Austin Shrub)
10. Royal Wedding (J & P floribunda)

Tough choices, but it sure got me to thinking once again how much I love the Austin roses.

o

I only have 24 roses, am working on more
Eden
Heritage
Collette
Madame Hardy
Tuscan Superb
Crested Moss (Chapeau du Napoleon)
Morden's Sunrise
Graham Thomas
Fakir' Delight
Alba SemiPlena

o

The other day I started typing a list and I was to 14 and couldn't figure out which ones to take off.
I'll try again today

Eden
William Shakespeare 2000
Mme Alfred Carriere
Louise Odier
John Davis
Abraham Darby
Star of the Republic
Eglantyne
Darlow's Enigma
Tradescant

ah what the heck,
Could have just as easily been

Sydonie
Crown Princess Margareta
Emanuel
Charles Darwin

and newer and not quite mature, but always blooming some are
Quietness
Rhapsody in Blue
Jeri Jennings

My criteria are
massive spring flush, excellent rebloom, bloom form, and fragrance. Fragrance not a must because I grow lots of fragrant roses. Eden is right at the top because there's no other rose like it. Louise Odier is probably the worst as far as repeat in my list, but oh the fragrance.

I grow somewhere between 80-90 roses and there are many more that even though not listed, I wouldn't part with. Maybe I'm missing some better, but I'll never be the type to grow hundreds to find out. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the amount I've got.

I think I'll save this list and see how it compares next year.

o

I have been mulling over this question for several days now and as I wander through my gardens each day I've been trying to come up with my Top Ten and just couldn't do it.
I can come up with Top Fifteen, but not Ten! I have over 350 roses that are all vying for my love...LOL.
So many roses, so many reasons for each to be considered!
Some I love just for their beauty and put up with their vanity and primadonna attitudes, even as I curse them.
Some I love just for their ease of culture and cold-hardiness here in zone 4 even if they
are more simple in their charms and lack fragrance.
And of course, there are those who I adore for their fragrance itself, even if they die back to the ground
each winter.
It is a rare rose that has ALL of those qualities, and good rebloom too. My most favorite roses are the old roses, because except for lack of rebloom (in most cases), they are to me the perfect rose....perfect of form, fragrant, hardy and resilient.
So I made up two lists, one for the modern roses and one
for the old-timers. It wasn't easy!
And yes, I CHEATED. I listed 15...(sorry).
My roses made me do it.

MODERN ROSES......

Quietness
Pretty Jessica
Heaven on Earth
Ballerina
Prairie Joy
Amazing Grace
Frederic Mistral
Morden Blush
Champlain
Caramella
Morden Sunrise
Belle Story
Mayor of Casterbridge
Winchester Cathedral
Perception

OLD ROSES....

Charles de Mills
Felicite Parmentier
Great Maiden's Blush
Tuscany Superb
Celestial
Queen of Denmark
Excellenz von Schubert
centifolia Variegata
Rosa Mundi
Boula de Nanteuil
Nestor
Yolande d'Aragon
Mrs. John Laing
Stanwell Perpetual
Mary Queen of Scots

o

HEY! No fair you extra posters! LOL. Thank you for the shopping list for next spring!

o

I'll try. This is today's top ten that are growing in my garden:

Black Magic
Louise Estes
Moonstone
Hot Princess
Octoberfest
Gold Medal
Paradise
Let Freedom Ring
Ginger Hill
Fabulous

o

Based solely on how they looked today . . . (Tomorrow will probably be another story.)

Pink Panther
Chateau de Versailles
Madame Knorr
Comanche
Winifred Coulter
American Pride
Harmonie
Southampton
Lustige
Oh La La

o

Alec's Red (the fragrance is perfect)
Liezauber (not sure of spelling)
Daybreaker (perfect and beautiful, so many roses)
Folklore (just a perfect rose, amazing colour and form, great for cutting)
San Antonio (first to bloom)
Sunnybrook (pale butter yellow, so many blooms)
Oceana (beauty, perfect for cutting, could produce more)
Maid of Honor (good rose, could produce more)
I have many that are so new I can not yet comment and others are special but don't produce enough to be mentionned.
Rosa

o

Here are my present 10 but after just planting 12 new varieties I may change my mind this time next year....

Memorial Day
Just joey
Sharifa Asma
Secret
Royal Highness
Double Delight
Chicago Peace
Heirloom
Oklahoma
Johann Strauss

o

Yea! This thread is back! That means I can post again and change my mind. : )
Also, Jaxondel asked a question of me that I never saw or answered. Re. Papa Meilland, the question was how does it grow in New Orleans? Mine after one complete year grew much taller than expected--to 6 or 7 feet, but not at all bushy. Still, it has been perfectly healthy, just not an attractive landscape bush. As for the blooms, they don't last very long outdoors in our humid heat, but they are still TERRIFIC cutting roses. Mine last about 2 weeks in a vase in a climate-controlled office. Aside from the perfect bloom form and great fragrance, the other interesting quality is that mine start out deep red but deepen as they age indoors to an intense deep purple, a very intriguing color to me. It's not the washed out "blue-ish" color of crimson roses as they dull and fade; rather, an even deep purple with just a hint of black shading.

Now for my revised list. I'm warning you that I fully intend to cheat. My old list from Aug. 1 included a few that I had grown only briefly. That's not a fair comparison. So I'm going to list my 10 favorate that I've grown at least 2 years. THEN, there's a second list, my wish list/promising-new-comers-to-my-garden list. After all, growing roses would lose much of its appeal for me if I could never try more. As it is, I am restricted by space limitations. So I end up giving away perfectly good roses from year to year just so I can try a few new ones that I'm dying with curiosity to try.

My Old Sandby List:
Bride's Dream--perfect name for it, prolific, icy pink shapely blooms with a little fragrance

Brigadoon--how did I leave this one off my old list? Simply magical changing color blend, prolific and heat tolerant.

Red Intuition--fairly new for me--a truly one-of-a-kind color combination of stripes that is fascinating and attractive. Very reliable prolific bloom.

Chicago Peace--an old workhorse. Yes, I have to wait a few weeks between flushes, but the huge gorgeously colored blooms are well worth it. Better than its famous parent, IMO.

Valencia--almost has it all; huge, shapely, uniquely fragrant, long-lasting blooms on long cutting stems. Great golden apricot color, too. A little gangly of bush, but I have seen quite bushy growers if grafted on fortuniana rootstock.

Alec's Red--intense, sweet fragrance, in a fat, glowing light red bloom 5 inches across. Amazing it was Scottish yet doesn't mind the heat here.

Elina--as prolific as they come. another "fat" bloom producer. Very soft yellow that seems to glow. Only drawbacks are a less than pleasing (to me) fragrance and being irresistible to thrips.

Paradise--Super bushy, prolific, unique lavender and raspberry blend, with shapely and fragrant blooms.

Leading Lady--I'm smitten with this white-pink blend mini-flora that is almost the size of a hybrid tea. Very prolific and beautiful. If only it were fragrant.

Electric Lady--another mini-flora, this one newish; got it last summer, but it established unbelievably quickly and has been a workhorse bloom machine since. Pretty rose form, too. The pink panther pink blooms have a glow of golden apricot at their centers to add interest. Awesome plant!

Was that 10? OK, so here's my wish list/promising new acquisitions list. All are hybrid teas (my bias) unless otherwise noted:

Soutine
Sultry
Blue Moon (the fragrance is intense and sweet!)
Royal William
Rock & Roll (just planted bare root)
Sweetness (grandiflora)
Day Breaker (floribunda, just planted bare root)
Monkey Business (curses to those J&P glossy color catalogs, lol)
Ebb Tide (floribunda, almost unique coloring and intense cloves scent. mmm!)

OK, so ignore my second list if you are offended by my cheating. But hey! We have to be allowed to dream of our next roses, don't we?

Mike

o
Yeah!!

Yeah, Mike, we have to be allowed to dream of our next roses. And a great response you have given -- as all these responses have been!! :)

Thanks so much you guys for helping us turn our dreams into a reality. :)

Debbie

o

1.French Lace (dead RRD)
2.Just Joey
3.Distant Drums (dead RRD)
4.Charlotte (DW'S Fav.)
5.Our Lady of Guadalupe (dead RRD)
6.Quietness
7.Madame Hardy
8.Great Maidens Blush
9.Flicit Parmentier
10.Rose de Rescht

I am off to the races after I see what else survived.

Doug

o

• Posted by kimric z5 Western PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 14:17

What a great thread - Just moved an hour north and left 65 roses -I now have to start over with a clean slate (i.e - all new landscaping! ( plus the ones I planted in pots from last year). Wondering where to begin??? I have a feeling this will be tough! Guess I need to start ordering! Thanks for all the recomendations!

o

New Dawn--great for hiding chain link fences
Apothecarys rose--dried petals are quite fragrant
Fourth of July--striped climber
Marilyn Wellan--our best red rose
Midas Touch--fragrant yellow
Felcite Parmentier--extremely sweet fragrance
Dainty Bess--superb single
Bees Knees--our best mini
Signature--great exhibition form
Rose de Rescht--best hedge rose in our garden

o

This list will be a mess, because the 'top ten' is strongly influenced by the fact how the roses fared through two years of total neglect (no spray, no fertilizing, no pruning -total abandonment of the garden) and some of my past favorites just look awful and I have no idea if the could be saved or not.

So I start with those that I love and also look great or relatively healthy:
1. Crepuscule -looks perfect(probably Marechal Niel, too but I am still trembling)
2.Laguna
3.Colette -no winter damage but had some spider mites and DH pretended to be deaf when I screamed that something should be done (it was 2 weeks after my spinal so I could not do anything and he didn't allow me to do anything but would not go out to give a strong jet wash to the rose. It's alive and the remaining canes are healthy, but I am close to crying...)
4. William Allen Richardson
5. Warm wishes and Floral fairy tale
6. Prosperity (Buff Beauty should be mentioned too - I love her and she has no damage, just overgrown)
7. Memorial Day
8. Lavaglut
9. Papi Delbard
10. Crown princess Margaretha
11. Not fair but a mustbe mentioned: Elina - no damage, no disease just huge and thorny; must be pruned very diligently.

I do hope I can save Taboo and Papa Meilland my two absolute favorite reds but they don't look very good. Nor does WS2000. Charthreuse di Parme looks OK! Hurrah!
The SDLM sports, however, my small favorites, with the exception of Kronprincessin Victoria, I think, are all dead along with Grace darling. So, my top tens did change dramatically.

o
Roundelay

To Trospero

I checked on HMF Roundelay. Darn, I got interested, that's an understatement, I instantly fell for that rose. Alas, it isn't available. Heaven sent doesn't do mail order, and I don't know anybody who lives close by to them so I ask the person to buy the rose and ship it to me f at my expense. The other option, to get the wood from UC DAVIS isn't feasible either: I doubt that I would be able to root it, nesides there is a minimum order requirement and that is quite high if I remember well..
Too bad. I developed an appetite for that rose. I guess, it is time to forget it.

o

In no particular order and just off the top of my head:

1. Golden Wings
2. William Shakespeare 2000
3. Morden Blush
4. Winnipeg Parks
5. Eglantyne
6. Iceberg
7. Molineux
8. Carefree Wonder
9. Outta the Blue
10. Jeanne LaJoie

Honourable Mention: Cinderella Fairy Tale (Everybody should have at least one)

Oh, and John Davis too. A few thousand blooms each spring on a single plant never goes amiss.

There are plenty of others, but those 10 (12) are consistently the best roses, year after year in my garden.

o

not exactly in order but off the top of my head:

1) Color Magic - best bush in my yard, huge healthy and just love the blooms
2) Pearl Essence- another big healthy bush
3) Brandy - my pet rose, it just never lets me down.
4) Black Baccara - fussy, no smell, but the blooms are exquisite.
5) Gemini - I can see why exhibitors love this.
6) Sombreuil - mine is not very big but the blooms are very memorable.
7) Enchanted evening - lavender candleabra blooms. a real pleaser
8) candyland climber - this is gigantic and really pumps out the blooms
9) crowd pleaser
10) cinnamon girl - ok cheating on this one because I just planted it. But I'm so excited it's already in my top ten.

o

1. Jude the Obscure
2. Yves Piaget
3. The Ingenious Mr Fairchild
4. The Prince
5. St Cecilia
6. William Shakespeare 2000
7. Eglantyne
8. Scepterd Isle
9. Alan Titchmarsh
10. Mme Pierre Oger

o

Mine are:
Golden buddha
shockwave
Julio iglesias
Bishop's Castle
Hot Cocoa
Cinco De Mayo
French lace
Playboy
Desert Peace
Chick a dee mini

o

My selections are:

1) Sharifa Asma
2) Blue Girl
3) Mister Lincoln
4) Tiffany
5) Molineux
6) Crown Princess Margareta
7) Pope John Paul II
8) William Shakespeare 2000
9) Paul Shirville
10) Big Purple

o

Top ten today: Belinda, Bow Bells, Julia Child, Les Sjulin, Lovely Fairy, Lullaby, Marytje Cazant, Queen Mother, Veterans' Honor & Yellow Queen Elizabeth.

o

My top 10 list for hot, humid Louisiana. I don't spray but I do have a drip irrigation system to keep my roses watered. This list is not in order of preference!

1) Belinda's Dream - this rose performs like a champion even in the depths of summer. The blooms stay large all year. The fragrance is nice. No hint of disease for me.
2) Ducher - Wonderful, full bush with lemon-smelling blooms that are nearly continual from April till December. No disease. I consider this my white "Knockout" rose.
3) Earthsong - A Buck rose that blooms like a grandiflora but without the disease. Nice fragrance on hot pink blooms that come in clusters.
4) Mrs. B. R. Cant - Has to be the rose that loves my climate more than all others. Getting HUGE, with gorgeous cabbage-like blooms that are deep pink with a silvery sheen. Flush after flush of bloom and no disease at all for me.
5) Lavaglut - Floribunda with velvet red blooms that get nearly black with age. Blooms in huge clusters that last forever and look good all the way till they fall off. Performs well in all places I've seen it in my state.
6) Gertrude Jekyll - This rose is a little bit of a primadonna, but it's very vigorous for me and puts on the most delicious smelling of all blooms. Mine is growing 12' tall on a rebar pillar.
7) Double Delight - This one comes with a caveat. My plant is grafted on Fortuniana rootstock and this makes all the difference in the world. Amazingly, I've had almost no disease. The blooms are prolific, amazing in coloration, and fantastic smelling. This would not make the list if not on Fortuniana.
8) Julia Child - This one only gets a touch of blackspot during the course of the year. It calmly pumps out loads of butter yellow blooms that smell like licorice. A small and shapely bush.
9) Westerland - Growing like a wildfire for me. Puts out tons of sunset orange blooms that have wonderful scent. No disease at all on my plant. A stiff-limbed climber.
10) Abraham Darby - I have a love/hate relationship with this rose. I absolutely adore it in April when the plant is covered in lush, green foliage and loaded with huge Apricot blooms that have a fruity fragrance that will knock your socks off. The blooms keep coming all year, but blackspot nearly defoliates the bush and makes it look ugly all summer long. Then it recovers in the fall just enough to keep me from a nasty divorce with this plant. The blooms alone make me put this in the top ten - for now!

o

This newbie does not have 10 roses, YET. I love this thread, though, so keep on posting.

o

Technically, I could list all of my roses, but I'll list the ones that really produce.
1. Julia Child: pretty bush, no disease.
2. St. Patrick: roses last forever, cut or on the shrub. Nice dark green foliage, no disease.
3. Henry Fonda: nice dark green foliage, great flushes of blooms, no disease.
4. Iceberg.
Way too much YELLOW.
Renee

o

Westerland
Madame Gregoire Staechelin
Rosa Primula
Rosa Moyesii Hillierii

Tipsy Imperial Concubine
Sophie's Perpetual
Cardinal Hume
Hebe's Lip
La Mortola
Goldfinch

o

I love this thread, and wanted to bring it back to 2012. I've cheated and put in an extra 2. This is definitely a list that gets tweeked from year to year...

For Fragrance:
- Chrysler Imperial (when it's at it's most fragrant, it's a knock-out)
- Pink Promise (smells like fruit loops)
- Fragrant Cloud (a little strange, but strangely enticing and that deep orange...)
- Double Delight (maybe a standard, but deserves to be there)

For Beauty:
- Intrigrue (most beautiful mauve/dark purple along with wonderful fragrance)
- Stainless Steel (steely lavendar - ghostly, along with marvelous fragrance)
- Gemini (simply gorgeous)
- Elle (new inspiration - hints of yellow at base of soft pink, lovely fragrance)
- Dream Come True (one of the most beautiful blends I've seen)
- Just Joey (the perfect perfect (albeit without fragrance) rose)

For Repeat / Most Blooms
- Honey Dijon (unlimited mustard)
- cl. Blaze (bloom machine on steriods at 2 years)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here