Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Beetles---UGH!

Posted by vampygirl13 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 16:10

Help!

I finally saw those buggers on one of my roses and now I have proof they are eating them up.

What is the best way to get rid of them? I would really prefer NOT to use pesticides as I love our honeybees that take care of hubby's garden, but I will take your suggestions. They've been eating my Joseph's Coat and my as yet identified lavender rose.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Beetles---UGH!

If you get a really big invasion, there is not a heck of a lot you can do--period. However, if you have just a few, put some soapy water in a can, hold the bloom over the can, and flick or shake the beetle into its soapy death. That's what most gardeners on this forum do--but it hardly makes a dent and has to be repeated often if you have a big invasion.

Other than that, posting a lot of laments on this forum might be an alternative--unfortunately.

Kate

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 19:48

Has anybody ever used insect netting???
Just wondering if it works?...

We hardly see many JB's here or I'd experiment with
netting....I remember years ago JB's were everywhere
when I lived in another house in this same town...

o

Netting an individual bloom to preserve it for , say, a rose show, is a practice that has been carried on for a long time. We've done it ourselves.

However, netting an entire bush or, even worse, a whole bed, kind of destroys the whole aesthetic of having a rose garden, IMHO. Some serious exhibitors do it on their exhibition beds, but those beds are not being grown to look particularly attractive or appealing. YMMV.

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 11:18

I was mainly talking about using netting for severe cases
of Jb attacks like in areas where JB's wipe out all flowers and shred a lot of the rose bushes leaves.

o

The netting sounded like a good idea so I spent a day preparing a lot of them. But, my old fingers are not nimble enough. As I would try to tie one around a beetle, it would fly away.

I guess it is back to milky spore, nematodes, and bird houses. (see thread below)

Here is a link that might be useful: link for earlier thread

o

Japanese beetles are very bad here...pretty much destroy everything from early June through at least July. I've tried many things over the years to control them, but there is no way to get rid of them all. I go out early every morning and cut armloads of buds before the beetles can get them. At least I can enjoy some inside until the beetles are gone for the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here