Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooks23_gw

Rose rosetta disease

Brooks23
10 years ago

Hi, This summer we have seen Rose Rosetta Disease in my city. I found this on my Honey Sweet Rose and think it is the start of RRD. What do you think?
Brooks23

Comments (21)

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Yep sorry

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Yes, sorry. If it is only this one shoot, I would take the whole underlying cane (not just the bad shoot) down to the ground and bag it immediately. Do it today. Then check the plant twice a week for new symptoms, in which case you must dig the whole plant and bag the pieces. Removing one cane usually doesn't work, so I'm not confident in recommending that except when you catch it very early, whih seems to be the case.

It may be worthwhile to try to kill any infected mites that are still on the plant by spraying the area near where the bad shoot was with horticultural oil or Wilt Pruf. Spray heavily because they hide in growth tips and where leaf stems attach to the canes. Irrigate first and spray when it is cool.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I have dug up several roses this year and it is sad but no cure. Glad to have your opinion
    Brooks23

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I have to agree. Sad to say, removing the affected cane isn't enough. Been there done that. It just comes back and looks just as bad if not worse. I've learned to just dig up the sick rose bush completely, bag it, and call it a day. :(

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Brooks23,
    I'm from Lexington, Ky. Sunday I dug up Pierrine because it had RRD. Even though I caught it early, I didn't try to save it. This is my first one this year. Last year I lost Pat's Choice. What were the names of the ones with RRD this year? The scariest part is not knowing if this is it for the year.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how to respond to individual messages. New to the forum and still learning.

I am in Owensboro KY and so far this year I have dug up --

Climbing Pinkie and Clotilde Soupert that had it for sure. I cut them back and the new growth had it just as bad.

Next I dug up Dame De Coeur and Pat Austin.

I then had a bed of miniature roses that had strange growth and I dug all of them up. I was tired of bending over tending them so I did not mind too much.

I am now thinking Honey Sweet will have to go but may watch it another week.
    I also have Prospero that I cut back and does not look so good. I may take a picture in the next few days and let you all see the growth to help me decide.
    I have lots of roses and if I loose them all I will have strange flower beds. I wonder what the future holds for rose growing.

Here is a picture of Climbing Pinkie that now gone. I think this is where the disease started in my yard.

Brooks23

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Do you or your lawn service (or close neighbors) use herbicides such as Round-Up or a weed and feed type product?

If so please see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for my rose rossette virus information

• lainey2 VA
    10 years ago

I have saved three roses by cutting off the stem down to the ground. I have lost six because the disease came back. It is possible to save a rose if you are diligent and catch it early enough. I will keep replanting as long as I am able. I'm to the point if I can get a few beautiful years out of a shrub, I could myself lucky.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Ignore Henry. You have RRD.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

catsrose, my post was not about the rose that is pictured. The post was triggered by the post about the number of roses that Brooks23 has removed, including the "I then had a bed of miniature roses that had strange growth and I dug all of them up."

I have asked Brooks23 a question. I then stated that if the answer was positive, then: " If so please see link below."

I am sorry if I did not make my post clear.

• shrey.jagma
    10 years ago

Hi Brooks,

Rose rosette disease, also known as witchesâÂÂ-broom of rose, is a virus or virus-like disease, such as a phytoplasm, that is spread by a very small, eriophyid mite. The disease is limited to plants in the genus Rosa. Its main host is the multiflora rose, which is considered a noxious weed throughout much of the United States. Interest in rose rosette has been generated by the threat to garden roses and its possible use as a biocontrol for multiflora rose.

Symptoms and Diagnosis

The earliest symptoms of rose rosette disease include a red pigmentation of the underside of leaf veins followed by sharply increased growth of vegetative shoots, which are typically more succulent than normal and colored in various shades of red. Leaves will become deformed, crinkled, and brittle with yellow mosaics and red pigmentation. As the disease progresses, leaves become very small, petioles are shortened, and most lateral buds grow, producing short, intensely red shoots. The disease causes the plant to be exceptionally susceptible to freeze damage. Symptoms on cultivated roses are typically less severe than on multiflora rose. Cultivated roses show symptoms of thickened, succulent stems and a proliferation of thorns.

Life Cycle

The disease can be transmitted by grafting and by an eriophyid mite, a wingless mite that can travel passively in the wind. Transmission typically occurs between the months of May through mid-July. Symptoms from new infections usually start appearing in mid-July. In general, smaller plants go through the disease stages more quickly than larger plants. Small plants are usually killed in about 2 years, while a large plant may survive for five years in a deteriorated condition.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the information. There was a small article in our newspaper but I have found more help on the internet. The picture in the newspaper was of a healthy rose which was no help at all if you were trying to identify the disease.
    I have tried to reply to everyone personally.
    I will be in touch, Brook23

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is picture of Prospero. I had cut this rose back because of suspicious growth and the new growth also looks a little strange. At the end where the bud is there are leaves of red.
    What is that? There are also red thorns. This is a thorny bush naturally.
    I did get a call back from the County Agent and some roses the city puts out as part of our city landscaping tested positive for the disease. They sent the samples to the UK agricultural dept. They are going to remove the plants.
    Our town has lots of Knock Out roses and it is probably in a lot of them.
    I am learning so much from this forum!
    Brooks23

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Most modern roses have reddish-colored new growth. That stem looks normal as to leaves, thorns, and color. If there is something going on at the bud that you want us to comment on, a better picture may be needed.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree is almost looks normal but that bud is strange. It may be my imagination. I will watch it a few more day but meanwhile here is a close up of the bud.
    Brooks23

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Is the dark vertical thing growing out of the base of the bud or coming from somewhere else?

The long sepals do look abnormal (I'll check my Prospero later), but not all abnormalities are RRD. Usually RRD affects a whole stem, not just the tip. The latter does occur, though.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dark vertical thing is the top of the bud or part of the bud.
    I ran out between rains showers and did not get a very good picture.
    I love this little rose and have it several places.

Brooks23

• buford
    10 years ago

I've also had some success in removing a cane at the base at the first sign of something strange. I did it on my Madame Lambard last year. It's worth a shot.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi buford, I have cut it back and keeping my fingers crossed. I have a few others I am watching

• michaelg
    10 years ago

My Prospero has only one flower bud on it today, but that bud does not have long, leafy sepals. Overdeveloped sepals (for the variety) are one symptom of RRD, not necessarily definitive. I would remove the shoot and keep an eye on the little guy (one of my favorites too).

You should scout the neighborhood for infected multiflora and garden roses.

I think Henry is justified in suspecting herbicide could be involved in a "whole bed" of mini roses showing strange growth. RRD would do that only if symptoms were ignored for a couple of seasons.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi michaelg, Thanks so much for looking at your Prosper. I cut that branch way back and have another bud that looks strange with the long sepal. I am going to let it grow for a few days and take another picture. I have a row of 5 Prospero and the 2 on one end look strange.
    I think the bed of mini roses could have been round up damage. I don't miss them as much because it hurt my back to bend over.
    Appreciate all the help.
    Brooks23

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?