Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

Comtesse de Segur

pat_bamaz7
9 years ago

This was my free rose with my RVR order earlier this year. Thought I'd post a picture in case others chose this rose and have been disbudding or are considering it with their next order. I disbudded its first blooms, but have let it flower since. It's had several little flushes so far with 7 blooms this time...which I think is pretty good for a new band. The blooms have held up decently in our heat/humidity. Bush itself is growing well. My OGRs are mostly own root, but this is the first HT I've planted that wasn't grafted. So far, so good.

Comtesse de Segur (blooms start out cup & saucer with darker centers and then open into these billowy pink clouds)

{{gwi:308378}}

Comments (17)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Really lovely, like something in a confectionary! Any fragrance?
    Susan

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Susan,
    Mine isn't the best of noses, but I can detect a medium kind of rosey, kind of sweet fruity fragrance with this one.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I like it with the little white vincas too!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Pat - That is a pretty rose, the color is so delicate, I love it. I've been anxious to see your beautiful roses.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

It's really lovely, very pretty color and the "old rose" look that I very much prefer.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

That is so pretty. I have wondered about that rose on the free list.

• predfern
    9 years ago

I got one last year from Roses Unlimited and it survived the winter. Paul Zimmerman said it was bulletproof.

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Very early yet, but I think itâÂÂs going to be a good rose here. Sara Ann, still weeding through zillions of pictures I took earlier this season. Right now, 99% of my roses are being decimated by thousands of Japanese beetles, so maybe I can get caught up on downloading the older ones while nothing much is photo worthy. Predfern, winter hardiness is something I really never paid much attention to, but after our polar vortex winter, that trait has moved way up on my list of desirables.

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

Glad to hear yours is doing well, I ordered one as well, mainly wanted to get me a Cardinal Richelu and with shipping it made sense to get 2 roses.

Neither of the two have done anything amazing yet, but thats likely in part due to being planted on the Texas coast in June....

Both are growing, had to transplant richelu due to not getting enough sun.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I got mine as a discard from someone. Very pretty flowers but the plant has no vigor at all. Perhaps the rain will help.

{{gwi:2120839}}

• Sarena Altman (7a Middle TN)
    2 years ago

Hi there! I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how your contesse de segur is doing? I can’t seem to find much about it.

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    2 years ago

Mine is quite small compared to the outstanding Dame des Chenonceau that's also a Delbard rose - DdC cascades over a low fence and is very hardy. CdS is about knee height for me and blooms very occasionally. This is for an own root rose in both cases in a cold zone 5, so YMMV.

Cynthia

2 years ago

Thank you for the info! I heard from someone in zone 9 that it is in constant bloom so I guess it’s a heat rose! Do you happen to have soeur emmanuelle? I’m just now learning about these French roses! (That I have no hope of pronouncing correctly)

2 years ago

Oh wow DDC is breath taking!!! And it even has a cupped Austin appearance, thank you for mentioning it!

• Nippstress Nebraska z5
    2 years ago

For me Soeur Emmanuelle is a solidly hardy rose that wants to grow tall and narrow with lanky flopping canes. I keep trying to peg her to get more branching since she has lovely double fluffy pink blooms and disease resistance to BS in my zone. She's not the rock star that Dame des Chenonceau is, but she's also in part shade so it might not be her fault. Both are terrific roses for me and good bets for a cold zone. I'll let folks closer to your zone chime in for zone 9

Cynthia

2 years ago

I’m actually zone 7 but it does get hot here so I worry about planting roses that can’t take heat. I really appreciate all your info. Maybe I could train her as a climber! But I am for now looking for a bush so I’ll go with DdC! It’s cupped blooms look so lovely

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County