Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Think it's been damp?

seil zone 6b MI
10 years ago

Now I wonder why I've been having such a battle with black spot and powdery mildew? You think this might illustrate the problem? Hot and humid, cool and damp, and rain, rain, rain. Good for the water bill, of course, but...I woke up to these in one of my rose pots today. These were NOT there yesterday!

Comments (15)

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

In Massachusetts, it was when all your postage stamps (before the self-stick days) and envelope flaps had glued themselves together that you knew the whole summer humidity/rain thing had gotten entirely out of hand. The black spot pressure was, of course, unspeakable. Nice batch of fungi there, Seil!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Those pop up all through our yard after
    rains then they quickly die here...

I have two tomato plants in pots but I haven't seen any
    pop up in those yet...lol

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Check behind your furniture, Seil. I grew up in Southern Alabama. All furniture had to be at least six inches from the house walls or there would be mildew on both the walls and furniture. Take a shower, dry off, open the bathroom door and look as if you'd just stepped out of the shower. Clean clothes in drawers and closets were always damp. Probably quite a bit like what many have recently endured. Ours has been quite high for here due to that blamed "monsoonal flow" up from Mexico. That is the one "alien" I would LOVE being able to prevent entry! Kim

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Looks like my yard. No rain so far today. This will be the first night no rain in 2 months.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Misery does love company, lol. After I took this picture I got distracted and didn't take them out of the pot. Later on when I went back to do it (after it rained again) they were gone?! I don't know if something ate them or what. I'll keep an eye on the pots to see if it happens again though. I do know that pot doesn't get as much sun as some of the others. I did also notice there were some in the lawn too. I wonder if that means I have good soil or not? Will they hurt the roses? I know people use mushroom compost and I've wondered if they have a problem with them showing up like this. Just a really weird season this year.

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've always found mushrooms like that to be just a little bit creepy. There is something very alien about them that I just don't like...

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Seil, "Mushrooms" are the fruiting or sexual-reproduction bodies of fungi, including the mycorrhizal fungi that form beneficial mutualisms with plant roots . They are found pretty much everywhere where conditions are suitable and show up when weather conditions are favorable. They often sprout up from the wood fines or other organic material in potting soil which support fungal mycelia busy with decomposing. I usually see them in spring here. Unfortunately I'm not a mycologist, so I can't rattle off a name, but I wouldn't doubt someone on this forum might be able to.

Mushrooms don't really reveal anything much about soil, except presence of available organic matter, which they decompose to obtain nutrients. There is one bad one: oak root fungus fruiting bodies sprouting from the base of a rose are a terrible sight because they indicate that the mycelia of that parasitic fungus have invaded/infected the plant; that fungus will eventually kill roses, which are highly susceptible to it. But oak root fungus mushrooms are easily identified and aren't what you have. Yours look a lot like the ones I get in potting soil here that don't seem to do much except appear and disappear quickly.

Some mushrooms are very fragile and do disappear quickly. Squirrels and other rodents also eat them, as do snails and slugs. My doofus cat Luigi liked to eat the ones I had sprouting from defunct birch roots -- which really worried me until a mycologist friend assured me they were good to eat.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

grrrr, honey fungus, aka armillaria mellea - a truly demoralising sight (although edible)......and quite right - not what you are seeing (but I do, annoyingly often).

Seil (Sharon?) - sympathies coming your way- last year, we had exactly the same missing jetstream fiasco giving us a complete non-summer of permanent rain. Tomatoes were an utter disaster (although potatoes, although needing sprayed against recurring late blight, were fantastic) while roses simply rotted nastily, leaving drifts (more like clumps, really) of brownly shredded petals as each rainy onslaught denuded each and every plant. Worse than sad roses though - the massive amount of flooding - whole towns and villages devastated by swollen rivers, running drains, concrete run-off in torrents - a wet nightmare which I do not wish to experience again (although it is practically guaranteed that we will).

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Here I only saw a few to start with in late Spring...
    Later on with lots of rain I started seeing tons of
    them sprouting up everywhere. Out of the mulch,
    out of the grass, and they are still popping
    up now when conditions are right...
    Next day they are mostly gone....

This post was edited by jim1961 on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:28

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

One that showed a lot in my garden this year is "dog vomit fungi", actually a slime mold. A blob of tannish-yellowish-orangish goo on my wood chip mulch that looks just like its name. Not harmful to people, animals or plants but gives you that "yuck" factor when you see one.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

One that showed a lot in my garden this year is "dog vomit fungi", actually a slime mold. A blob of tannish-yellowish-orangish goo on my wood chip mulch that looks just like its name. Not harmful to people, animals or plants but gives you that "yuck" factor when you see one.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

How about 15" in July?

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see I'm not the only soggy one around here, lol! I didn't see any more today but the SUN is OUT!!!

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

and I am off back to bed for an extra hour cos it is bucketing down.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    10 years ago

One of my pots on our deck had mushrooms too! I'm glad it's finally starting to dry out.

Blackspot everywhere here.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH