Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rochesterroseman

Do you have a favorite Orange rose?

rochesterroseman
13 years ago

I would like to find a true orange or orange blend that blooms well, has good form, is easy to grow, vigorous, some fragrance would help, too. I have a small Cary Grant. I love the flowers, but the plant so far has been a bit of a runt. But the flowers are amazing when they show up! So, If I could get one like that, but bigger and with more blooms, that would make me happy. I prefer a HT, Grandi, or something with that type of flower style. (Please don't mention fragrant cloud. I had it once and hated it!! No fragrance at all, but worse, the color is just plain ugly.)

Thanks.

Comments (30)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

I don't have many orange but I love my Living Easy!!

• charleney
    13 years ago

A really high up rosarian told me that Cary Grant needed more sun. I put it in a pot on concrete patio and kept it well watered. It was beauful. Put it in all day sunshine in the garden and it failed. I don't think I have it any more.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I'm out of your climate zone, so I'm not sure if my favorites would suit you.

Just wanted to say that since you live in New York, a trip to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens might be worthwhile.

You could see (and smell) the roses in bloom and see if there is anything that catches your fancy:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranford Rose Garden at BBG

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I like 'Wildfire' a lot, 'Vavoom' is a lovely clear orange, and 'Louise Clements' if a creamy orange is acceptable.

But petaloid's idea is wise--see what performs in your area...

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Folklore, Folklore! Gorgeous form and the perfect orange for me, but it's a very graceful soft orange with pink as its bicolor! Fragrance is truly outstanding!

Lana Markiz grows the most beautiful Folklore! But I can no longer find where her rose is at in the gallery, so I only have my typical lopsided, lumpy photos to show for it...

Here is Folklore:

{{gwi:308455}}

{{gwi:308456}}

But believe me, if you had only seen Lana's photo, you'd grab Folklore right away! Hope she can post hers here instead so you can see how beautiful this rose is supposed to be.

• rochesterroseman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just checked out Livin Easy on Helpmefind, and it looked impressive. I don't have many floribundas, but if it grew large and was well-flowered, I might really like it. Great color! PrettyPetals is in zone 7, which is way hotter than zone 5. Most of my HT's and floribundas just stay fairly small around here. Have others have good luck with Livin Easy?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

I have Livin Easy, but, I just started growing it this season. So, I really can not comment on it yet.

You may want to try & locate an orange that is cane hardy in your climate.

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    13 years ago

Livin' Easy is a fabulous choice. If you want a HT or GR try About Face...beautiful color and lots of blooms.

• mellmel
    13 years ago

Remember Me has done quite well in my garden. Livin Easy has too. And I also have a Vavoom...it is the color of orange juice!

• york_rose
    13 years ago

Fragrant Cloud!

Opens scarlet orange (with a reverse in orangey dark pink you don't even realize is pink until you look closely), and then fades to coral orange-pink. The color also varies a little depending upon the temp. at the time the flower opens.

And the fragrance!!

:)

• mellmel
    13 years ago

Here are a few photos:
    Vavoom
    {{gwi:308457}}
    {{gwi:308458}}{{gwi:308459}}{{gwi:308460}}
    Remember Me
    {{gwi:308461}}
    {{gwi:308462}}
    {{gwi:231582}}
    Livin Easy
    {{gwi:308465}}

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

A fragrant orange HT that might perform quite well in your climate is Poulsen's 'Victor Borge' (aka 'Michael Crawford').

The reviews 'Cary Grant' has received here have been less than stellar, so I'm rushing to his defense. I've grown CG for a number of years, & it's among my best performers. In my garden the bush is robust with beautiful foliage that's healthier than most. The blooms have great form & the color is truly unique. CG is one of my favorites for cutting.

Other good HTs in the orange color range are 'Christopher Columbus' (probably best in warm climates) and the now impossible-to-find 'Queen Beatrix'.

• Zyperiris
    13 years ago

My Vavoom has BSed..It is beautiful though..I would suggest Living Easy..If you have room for just one orange..It is hardy and doesn't BS too much

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

I have a rather sizable assortment of oranges. It is really hard to pick. For the most in-your-face color I would have to nominate Kordes' Brilliant, Impatient, Light My Fire, or Vavoom. They are all different, but all very bright. For fragrance, I really like Lady Emma Hamilton even though Fragrant Cloud is quite fragrant although it is not in my collection at this time. For sheer flower production, I would have to nominate Boulie's Dream and possibly Easy Does It. There are some others, but I still have to go back to this flower on Kordes' Brilliant to define orange and what makes it so special.

{{gwi:308466}}

• predfern
    13 years ago

Honesweet is a nice orange-pink Buck rose.

• Jeannie Cochell
    13 years ago

I would recommend Marmalade Skies as a floriferous orange floribunda. No scent but copious amounts of bloom. Dunno how it does in your area but it's just about disease-free in mine. We don't have blackspot, of course... apparently you need humidity for that, lol.

• nyc_michael
    13 years ago

tropicana aars winner is my fav.

Here is a link that might be useful: tropicana at michigan bulb

• particentral
    13 years ago

Vavoom gets tons of compliments in my potted garden at the grooming shop. Bright orange and smells good too.

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

A couple of my "new" favorites are these gorgeous beauties:

EASY DOES IT - drop dead gorgeous blooms that come on in big flushes and last a long time (unless the deer find them)
    {{gwi:272725}}

FABULOUS - plenty of multi-toned orange blooms that last a really long time (Pickering)
    {{gwi:272726}}

And here are a few others:

IMPULSE - florist rose that blooms well and lasts well too (Wisconsin Roses)
    {{gwi:308468}}

TROPICAL AMAZONE - florist rose - lots of gorgeous blooms with great repeat (EuroDesert Roses)
    {{gwi:308469}}

WILDFIRE - killer dark orange long-lasting blooms on a tall plant (J&P?)
    {{gwi:308470}}

SOUTH AFRICA - a lighter orange bloom machine that smells delicious! (Palatine)
    {{gwi:308471}}

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of orange, but I think Crown Princess Margareta is gorgeous...

and can you count The Alchemist?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Just as a point of reference under this header of "orange roses", I will recommend Tuscan Sun. Good cut flower, color changes to a silvery pink as the blooms age, good repeat. It's only real drawback for me has been winter hardiness. As with many oranges (and yellows too), they need a warm protected site away from cold northern winds to do their best.
    {{gwi:308472}}

• bethr1957
    13 years ago

Fragrant Cloud..... hands down.

And Voodoo a close second.

The first has the scent from heaven, and Voodoo great colors.

Beth

• particentral
    13 years ago

I find it amazingly funny that the OP said NO Fragrant Cloud, yet most people here said it is one of their faves. LOL

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

I'm all about orange roses.

I really like my old Tropicana. It's sturdy, reliable, and fragrant, although hubby says the fragrance is "Funeral-homey".

Our Voodoo is not what I bargained for, but I'm very happy nonetheless. I was expecting true orangey-orange, but it's more of a hot coral that at first deepens, then fades to apricot. A little disappointed with the way the petal edges crispen before I get the best color, but the smell and upright growth are pretty awesome.

Tabasco Cat is a new baby that I put in just a month ago, and I am amazed. First blooms opened yesterday, and the best way I can describe the color is "Electric bloody mary". A very even-toned, perfect spiral, orange red. It is a mini, but it's still beautiful. As with most mini's, there's probably no scent but I didn't try to bend down that far yesterday morning....knees are a little sore.

• Vic007
    13 years ago

Artistry & Tangerine Jewel are my favorite oranges.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

{{gwi:308473}}
    This is my fave, Tahitian Sunrise. This was a WalMart $1 wonder. It looks like this every year, rain or shine, feast or famine. Cheryl

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    13 years ago

Folklore throws out really big canes every year. Last year the bush flopped over due to the weight of those canes, effectively "pegging" the canes. I cut them back to a reasonable length, perhaps 5 ft, and I got blooms all along the canes! You can get Folklore grafted to acid soil compatible rootstock from Pickering.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    13 years ago

I don't do many oranges but Sunstruck is a good orange blend in my garden. It gets afternoon shade so it doesn't fade like some oranges. Smells great. Even in the hot July weather it doesn't loose any size in the bloom.

• iowa_jade
    13 years ago

I have won an open HT class with Just Joey, but it dosn't have the classic HT shape you were looking for.
    It does have the "Verboten" rose in its' breeding but is a much nicer color, warm with HUGE blooms.

F.L.

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Joey