Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosa "New Dawn"

Posted by tennisgnome none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 16:44

Is rosa "New Dawn" a rambler or climber?

I ask this question as I have just purchased this rose which clearly states on the label and picture card Rambling Rose "New Dawn". However, people tell me it is a climber who is right?

I bought this rose with the intention of growing it as pillar would it matter if it where a climber or rambler to grow in this style.

This rose I purchased from a reliable and trustworthy supplier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosa "New Dawn"

The link below is to a listing with details on New Dawn along with photos.

The zone you are in might make some difference in size, but more importantly others growing it in similar conditions will have better tips for you

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF link to New Dawn

o

New Dawn is classed as a Large-Flowered Climber. But she is a monster and a thorny one at that. I certainly wouldn't try it on a pillar. My ideal spot for a New Dawn is along a tall fence in the far back where it can maul burglars and loose dogs.

o

I agree with catsrose.

o

Where, generally, do you live? That can make a difference re how big a rose gets. However, no matter where you live New Dawn is definitely not a rambler, but a large climber, as catrose says. Out here in sunny CA, it does get huge - not so much really tall, but just really big. I planted 5 (!) of them once on a fence, when I was ignorant. Of course because I had planted so many, they ate the fence, and the path in front of the fence disappeared, and they jumped over the fence and set out to make their fortune... Fairly stiff canes and very thorny, but very good re-bloom all summer.

Jackie

o

New Dawn (10' to 20') is an everblooming sport of Dr, Van Fleet Height of (15' to 20'). As such it is not expected to have the vigor of Dr. Van Fleet.

Over the years it appears that some New Dawns are more like Dr. Van Fleet.

You may want to try Awakening (8' to 14') , a more controllable sport of New Dawn.

The numbers presented are from Help-Me-Find.

o

Weeell, I don't know about 'Awakening' being more controllable than 'New Dawn.' Maybe I have an exceptionally vigorous clone, but mine is the proverbial thorny monster. I did what catsrose suggests, and transplanted mine to the back fence line to discourage incursions from neighbors I don't want to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here