Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

My OGR collection..

seil zone 6b MI
10 years ago

is growing! I have added three new ones this year. A trial because they are two chinas and a tea. A little tender for my zone but I'm hopeful!

This first one is a cutting I rooted from a friend's unknown rambler. It's a once bloomer and grows like a weed with LONG thin canes that are very flexible.
{{gwi:308785}}

Pretty striped Honorine de Brabant
{{gwi:308788}}

Next is my lovely Reine des Violettes
{{gwi:308791}}

And Rose de Rescht
{{gwi:308794}}

The new chinas, Archduke Charles first bloom.
{{gwi:308795}}

and Mutabilis, which is growing fast and never out of bloom.
{{gwi:308796}}

and last but not least Duchesse de Brabant
{{gwi:308797}}

Comments (17)

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry, I posted this in the wrong place again. Sheesh, what a ditz I am!

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

They are still really pretty! I enjoy looking at all the flowers everyone has growing

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I love them all, Seil .. you have the best looking collection.
    Thank you for posting.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Well, you posted them where I could see 'em, so thank you. You have some of my favorites, there -- and some, like Honorine de Brabant -- that won't grow for me here.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rene! I love them all too. I have a pretty mixed up and eclectic collection of roses and planted together and I like it that way.

Thank you, Strawberry!

Jeri, thanks. I probably have a lot of your favorites because you enabled me into them, lol! I didn't know bourbons wouldn't grow in your area. Is it the no winter thing?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

seil, I love your Honorine and other OGRs. Good luck--hope they survive the winter cold and bloom that beautifully for you again next spring. Nothing like gardening on the razor's edge, huh?

LOL

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

As always, seil, your photos are worthy of framing. And all the roses look healthy and luscious. I particularly like Duchesse de Brabant with its subtle color. Who cares what forum you post on. All of us enjoy seeing your pics. Diane

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I will absolutely not hold it against you that you posted those lovely roses here. .>;^)
    I usually am not so in love with striped roses, but now I think I really must have an Honorine de Brabant...it's SO pretty....and the Rose de Rescht...but all of them are gorgeous. I'm really getting fond of OGRs.
    Thanks again for sharing the beautiful photos!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I sure love Honorine. I'm going to have to get highly selective with my choices. Either that I garden vertically....Is that possible?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Susan

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Wonderful roses, Seil! I was hoping you'd post pictures, since you mentioned trying some zone pushing of these lovely beauties yourself! I dearly love your photo of Honorine de Brabant, and I'm really going to try this one again and see if I can get one to survive my summers. It looks like yours is in a pot - do you move it to a protected spot for the winter?

And oh, your Duchess de Brabant photo - so THAT's what she's supposed to look like! I'll show your photo to my toddler bush and see if she gets any inspiration, as I certainly do. That Archduke Charles is marvelous, and I haven't been brave enough to try chinas yet in this zone. How is the rebloom on yours?

Lovely roses, and thanks for showing us these pictures!

Cynthia

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Beautiful. Rose de Rescht and Reine des Violettes are stars in my garden too.

Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your compliments! I have a little confession to make though. I like to take pictures with those dark backgrounds to hide some of the not so pretty leaves because I don't spray, or as little as possible, most of the time, lol! As you can see a little black spot doesn't seem to stop them from blooming!

Kate, I do love life on the edge!

Aha, Racin, that's it! I was just doing a little enabling, lol!

Susan, no room? That's what pots were made for!

Cynthia, I did have Honorine in a pot for about 3 years but she's been in the ground that long now. Facing west and In full afternoon sun too. I've never had a problem with her burning or wilting in the heat and she has very little die back in the winter for me. She will ball sometimes if it's very humid but doesn't get much black spot really.

I just got the Duchesse so that's first bloom on a band plant. The blooms have been small and are paler, less pink since it's gotten hotter here.

Of the chinas the Archduke is too new to say but it's bloomed twice this season. I'm almost positive that Mutabilis would survive for you. It was a brand new rooted cutting last fall and it wintered great for me and has been growing like a weed, nearly tripling its size this season. And it has never been without bloom all season so far!

• leezen4u
    10 years ago

Nice Seil,

Your photos are always appealing. I hope our RDV and Rescht look as good when they mature.

Lee

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, seil. I wish I had more room and more water to grow some of these. Your taste in roses seems to be very similar to mine.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lee and Ingrid!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Very nice Seil. I'm anxiously awaiting my Reine des Violettes to bloom, have had several on my Rose de Rescht. Yours all look healthy.

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

Do you have any more pictures of that rambler?

I have been growing Mutabilis for years now. It's in a large pot and I bring it inside for the winter. It blooms even then. For one or two years I had it in the ground, left out for the winter. But each spring it had to start all over again. So far,!the way I'm doing it now seems to work.

You have some beautiful roses.