Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Climbing rose / trellis over garage doors

mrspete
10 years ago

We've all seen the lovely pictures: gorgeous roses, bunches of them growing over a trellis atop a wide garage door (or small porch). I would love to create this look in the house we're building -- I think it'd be lovely to come home and be greeted by such a beautiful rose every day. Incidentally, the front of our house will face North, probably not ideal for this climbing rose, but I can't change that.

I have several questions:

- I am only an average gardener. I have had luck with basic roses, but what I'm considering looks a bit complicated. Is this something an average gardener can expect to pull off? I'm thinking that it'd be important to care for this rose well in the first years, when it's being trained up the trellis -- true? How does one dead head the spent blossoms if they're over the top of the garage door?

- I am very willing to build a good trellis for this project. I was thinking this would require two rose bushes -- one on each side of the garage. So I need some sort of "climb up" for the edge, then a support across the top. Any hints on how to do this well? I'm thinking metal for longevity?

- I love reds and pinks best. Yellows too. Any hints on the varieties that'd prosper we'll in this project?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• cecily
    10 years ago

Hi Mrs Pete, where abouts do you live? Climbers that are lovely in the South die back to the ground in the North (and many climbers get blackspot disease in the mid-Atlantic).

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Before you get into the details of what to do, I would take a step back and look at the LOCATION where you want this rose to grow:

1) What region of the US are you in? This will affect what you can grow - do you have freezing winters? Do you have hot humid summers? Do you have hot dry summers?, etc. etc. Each situation is OK, but different situations call for different kinds of roses, and you want to get one that will like what you have to offer.

2) How much sun will this rose get per day? Since you say this is a Northern exposure, this is very important. Look at the location, both at the bottom where you will be planting the rose, and higher up where the trellis will be. Look at it in various times of day.

Folks on here can be much more helpful after we know the answer to these questions.

Re metal trellis - not good, as in any sort of sun at all it would get too hot and burn the rose canes.

Looking forward to hearing more about your project. The short answer to your general question is, yes, you can do this - it is not difficult. It is just important to choose a rose that will cooperate with you and where you are and where the garage is.

Jackie

• mrspete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, my location is important. I live right on the NC / SC line, so we have moderate winters (rarely does the temperature dip below 40) and hot summers -- upper 80s and lower 90s being most common, with the occasional upper 90 or 100 day. We have heavy red clay soil.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and I should've added, All day sun. Shade, if any exists, will be minimal. If I sound a bit unsure, it's because the garage in question does not yet exist. We're talking about a new build.

• Maude80
    10 years ago

I would recommend climbing roses to everyone who can grow them. I have them on an arbor in my backyard and I'm so happy with how they look. They give a garden a majestic and victorian look. This is a picture of mine in bloom in it's second year:)
    {{gwi:249671}}

Maude

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Thanks - with all day sun, this will work out fine. And, with mild winters climbers will be fine too. I am in No California, and so in such a different place from you that I cannot give you any specific recommendations.

If you don't get anyone from that area responding on here, what I would advise is that you find the closest rose society to your area and attend a meeting, and ask for help. Rose folks from the same area as you will have good advice for you - it is not true that all roses do well everywhere - most areas have a few roses that really love it there, and you just need to find out who they are.

Anyway, your project sounds eminently doable - good luck!

Jackie

• catsrose
    10 years ago

You are very close to a wonderful rose nursery, Roses Unlimited, In Laurens, SC. Take a photo or drawing of your house and go visit Bill and Pat. They are very helpful, you can see what you are getting, and you can chose roses that will do very well for your location.

I'm a little north of you, in Roanoke. One of my favorites is Crepuscle, an apricot noisette that will take shade/northern side of the house, has few thorns, which is good for a walkway, and rarely gets blackspot. oisettes in general are good for your location. Take a look at others and talk to RU.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Keep in mind you'll have a lot of rose petals falling right in front of the garage door--that might get tracked in on feet or rolled in via tires or blown in via breezes.

I mention this because I've got a big climber over my front door, and I've always got petals all over. The front entry is always a mess. Some people would not be bothered by this, while some would--just something for you to consider in your planning.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maude, I can't see your picture -- and I very much wanted to do so!

Roses Unlimited in Laurens, SC. I will definitely pay them a visit! How fortunate that this is close by.

I hadn't anticipated that petals would fall in front of the garage. I think I can live with that . . . but I may bump things around a bit so that my house-entry-door isn't right by the garage door. Separating them by a few yards will help keep the petals out of my house. I can live with petals falling on the driveway, but I'd rather not have them dragged into my house.

I'm so glad to hear that this project is something within reach of an average gardener. Thank you so much!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years