Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a sport?

Posted by JoeMoose 9A (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 17:04

I was looking at the Fragrant Cloud today, and I noticed one of the blossoms was single. Same color, same scent. What should I do with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a sport?

It's probably just due to heat. Many of my roses bloom with less petals in the summer. You could mark the stem and then watch to see what the blooms look like in fall.

o

Brittie's advice is right on. It may be a sport, but more likely isn't and is due to the current weather. Kim

o

Joemoose, this is what greeted me this morning on my own root Eugene de Beauharnais. Yes, the foliage is fried due to drought and the 106+ day we had a few days ago, but how's this for a single flower compared to what it should be? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Eugene de Beauharnais

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 12:31

I'm seeing some single flowers here and there myself and temps are only in the mid 70's to mid 80's here.
So probably just the heat as Brittle and roseseek mentioned.
I just let them on the bush until they are spent...

o

It may be interesting to compare the size of the pollen grains produced by the single with the size of the pollen grains produced by the normal flowers. I would expect that a local high school or college biology/botany lab could do it very quickly for you with a microscope. This may be a new way of producing diploids from tetraploids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here