Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Striped roses - where to buy?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Are there any nurseries that specialize in the striped varieties? Don't think I'll have any trouble finding Rock-n-Roll, not so sure about some of the others. I would like to try 2 or 3. Some of them are really pretty.

Comments (3)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Palatine Roses has a good selection and ships some of the best roses you can get. They're rootstock should do very well in your area.

• rosetom
    10 years ago

Uhh ... you may have to hunt, but there are some varieties that should be fairly easy to find - because I found them. ;-)

I've had Rock-n-Roll for 2 years now, but I'm not convinced it's worth the investment. The bush seems great, but the flowers are awfully tiny and pop very quickly.

Some of the others:
    Tropical Sunset - a true Grandiflora, this thing could compete with QE. It regularly sends up shoots to 10 feet with wonderful exhibition quality orange-yellow-striped blooms. The orange will eventually fade to a partial pink, but it takes a long while. Flower size is good, but it's definitely a Grandiflora.

Cabana - a legitimate Hybrid Tea, the flowers are almost 50-50 pink and white, with wonderful exhibition form. They tend to be on the small side and unfortunately often bloom in multiples, but other than that, the bush is extremely vigorous, and a little lower height than Tropical Sunset.

Scentimental - people in the last few years complain that this bush produces flowers that blow quickly. That may be true, but the vigor (at least in my garden) is unparalleled. It sends up shoots 2-3 feet away from the center drip ring and likes to stay at about 5 feet tall (too large for a floribunda, almost). Flowers are red and white striped with reasonable fragrance. I think the fragrance kick is a bit muted on mine, but it's amazing just to watch this thing grow and bloom.

George Burns - take Scentimental, cut the height and vigor by about 25% and add some yellow highlights to the center of the red and white blooms and that defines George Burns. Oh - add some of the most vicious and plentiful thorns and that will give you the idea of this rose. I can't have Scentimental or George Burns alone without each other.

Tigress - a small improvement over Purple Tiger, but not by much. Blooms are exquisite, dark pink - almost purple - stripes on a frilly white bloom. Bush is tall, lanky, and very disease-susceptible. It's touchy to grow, but can be reasonably productive with care. It reminds me very much of Lagerfield in habit and blooms (except for the coloring).

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info ken-n.ga.mts. Glad to learn Palatine is a good source. Ordered from them this year, very impressed. Thanks rosetom, appreciate your opinions on the different varieties. I'm not picky about whether it's a HT, grandiflora or floribunda,

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz