Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Organic instead of Bayer for PM

andreark
10 years ago

I used Bayer Disease Control a couple of times for some black spot my roses were getting. Since then, I haven't seen any BS but NOW a couple of them seem to have Powdery Mildew.

My question is, do I have to use the Bayer again? I have read, I believe, on this site that PM isn't as bad as BS. So I was hoping that I could just use something organic like Dr. Earth Organic Fungicide. This didn't work for the BS so I went to Bayer, but would this work for mildew?

andrea

Comments (6)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

I've used Green Cure for PM & it seems to work well on PM but not very effective on BS. It is listed as "organic" on the label & the active ingredient is actually a food additive. I mail ordered it from "Worm's Way".

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Since you already have Dr. Earth Organic Fungicide go ahead and try it for PM...

Ingredients for Dr. Earth Organic Fungicide....

Ingredients: Active Ingreidents: Rosemary, peppermint, cloves and clove oil, malic acid
    Bentonite, carrageenan, cellulose, citric acid, citrus pulp - orange, dolomite, glycerin, guar gum, kaolin, l-ascorbic acid, sodium bicarbonate, soybean oil, water, yeast.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Super! Thanks wirosarian. But before I try your organic stuff, I think I will try (as Jim1961 suggests) the Dr. Earth that I already have. He posted a list of the active ingredients, and as you said about yours, lots of 'people' food stuff in it.

I hope it works because it smells like something safe. Of course I couldn't smell the Bayer with my 'gas mask' on!

andrea

• nickl
    10 years ago

Can't speak about the Dr. Earth product, but Green Cure has been very effective for us in cleaning up powdery mildew on roses and other plants. We've used it for years..

It has essentially no effect on black spot here.

It consists of potassium bicarbonate plus a proprietary sticker-spreader, and it is listed as "organic".

However, no matter which material you use you should always follow the label directions, especially those pertaining to personal protection. They are there for your safety..

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I've never had a rose get PM here yet so personally
    I do not know what works best.

But I have heard good things about Green Cure for PM.

I tried Green Cure for BS before but it did not work here for that....

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Green Cure it is!!!

Already ordered it.

Thanks all,

andrea