Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Own-root vs. multiflora/guidelines in choosing one over o

phylrae
16 years ago

For those who grow in cold zones, are there any general guidelines for choosing between an own-root rose vs. a rose grafted onto multiflora? For example: Wm. Shakespeare 2000

Own-root from Roses Unlimited vs. grafted onto multiflora from Pickering

This is just an example...we HAVE Wm. Shakespeare 2000 (from RU), but in the future I may decide to purchase a few more, because I LOVE this rose! Would it just be something I'd have to experiment with-try it on multiflora to see if it would grow even better?

How about other varieties? Is it always trial and error?

:0) Phyl

Comments (6)

• jaxondel
    16 years ago

Seems to me that it is trial and error. I've seen vague, non-specific references to roses that don't thrive on their own roots, so I'm assuming that there must be some.

I read something recently (probably on one of these forums) that the HT Henry Fonda did not perform well when J&P attempted to market it as one of their New Generation roses. Other than that, I've yet to find anything regarding roses that always do better as grafted plants.

• veilchen
    16 years ago

It is all trial & error, as each rose has different roots. For the slightly tender roses I for one feel safer with grafted (Dr. Huey or multiflora, they both do fine for me).

I got two G. Jeckyls last year, one own root and one grafted on multiflora. They both came through the winter equally, and are both blooming the same so far. I see no difference whatsoever.

• bean_counter_z4
    16 years ago

I have heard the opinion that multiflora does better in low PH soil. That seems to be my experience here. Own root and Dr Huey do better than multiflora in my high PH area. That's a guess at best with no scientific data to back it up. Good luck.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    16 years ago

Multiflora does so well in heavy clay soil that it is banned as an invasive weed in Connecticut.

Here is a link that might be useful: Status of Multifora in your state?

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

With some roses, one does not have any choice if you want a certain variety. If you plant grafted roses deep they go own root anyways. If you plant high they are easier to tip if you engage in that madness. Most of us know when a rose has died back to the rootstock and with RRD we know to be careful in rooting out such beasties promptly.

That said MFL rootstocks love our potters clay.

One book I read from the library, can't remember the title, advised if that certain variety was vigorious enough to be grown own root. If J&P selection is OK for you they only offer some roses on their own rootstock.

If your growing season is one month long grafted is preferable. The first rose I bought, Tamora, is sad and wishes it had been grown own root. I am going to place the shovel by it and see if it improves.

Sorry to ramble.

Foghorn

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the help here. No, I don't tip any roses...and I do plant deep. We have very clay soil (we have to amend alot-believe it or not, "Clay, NY" is the name of our town), don't know the pH exactly, except to say that when I tested it a few years ago, it was in the right range of "slightly acidic"....
    I just wondered if there were any hard and fast rules about choosing.....
    I guess I'll continue doing what I'm doing...
    Thanks again everyone, for your input! I'll put it in my "notes" section here on gardenweb.
    :0) Phyl