Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old rose Hello Dolly

Posted by susanp508 10 Sw fla (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 18:02

I ran across my old rose journal and noticed I planted Hello Dolly HT. I loved that rose but I don't think its available anymore. Does anybody know of it? Grow it or know where to buy it? I grew it in 2001. Thanks in advance
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old rose Hello Dolly

It should still be around. It is still a great rose. The fragrance is fantastic!

o

I have the one that is sold under that name by Home Depot -- it is a pink rose that is nothing like the description of the original Hello Dolly by Jack Christenson. It's not just a mismark, because others on HMF have noted the same thing with the same wrong rose. Home Depot's supplier has the wrong rose, I believe, in its place and is selling it (consistently) as Hello Dolly, which it is not.

Just a warning to go elsewhere for this rose, if you can find it.

Kathy

o

Thank you Kathy and Dan for the info. That rose was a real show stopper people driving by and walking by would ask me about that rose. unforntuately I sold it with the house.

o

According to HelpMeFind, even though sources are listed, its breeder Jack Christensen says the variety is no longer available.

This happens too often. I still hope to get another Graceland and find Lucille Ball, two good ones that are now out of commerce.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 11:57

Hortico carries it. I got one this yr, but it still hasn't bloomed yet, so I don't know if it's the real thing or not. (you know how it goes with Hortico!)

o

I ordered 2 from Hortico just in case 1 was mismarked. They were both the wrong rose. I need to take a pic and send it to them to show them for the umpteenth time they have sent me the wrong rose!

o

In Camarillo, CA, even when sprayed regularly, 'Lucille Ball' set a whole new standard for rust.

But some really great roses do get shuttled prematurely out of commerce.
I'm still grumbling about the disappearance from commerce of 'Gardens Of The World.' It was always the best choice for our area, and is now the ONLY modern HT we grow.
It was never even patented.
We propagate it every chance we get. :-)

I'm only sorry it was ever budded, and thus infected with virus.

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here