Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g_in_fl

Is this Beauty Inconstante?

g-in-fl
10 years ago

I bought this last September as Beauty Inconstante . It was not in bloom at the time, and when it did bloom, it was not what I expected. I thought it would eventually turn a more
salmon - coral color , like the photos on HMF, but it has not, and I'm beginning to think it was mis-labeled when I bought it.

Have you ever seen Beauty Inconstante look like this?

To complicate matters, I bought a Papa Gontier (from a different nursery) a couple months ago, and it looks VERY much like this bloom - but not really like Papa Gontier's on HMF. Second photo is Papa Gontier.

What do you think?

Comments (4)

• g-in-fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this Papa Gontier?

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

They both look like Papa G to me.

Wait... now I'm seeing a more purple-ish pink on the first. I wonder if its Francois Gualain or Enchantress. Both of these have the most amazingly healthy foliage for me, but the flowers are dreck.. Rare to bloom and usually balled.

• cecily
    10 years ago

I grew Beaute Inconstante from Vintage probably a decade ago. The blooms resembled photo 1 (quite small and shapeless). After a couple of years, it didn't improve and its long gone. The foliage was nice but the blooms were too small to satisfy me.

• g-in-fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, thonotorose, they are both Papa Gontier as it turns out. I have had the top one about a year, and it has never balled. Yesterday it put out the most gorgeous DARK red bloom. I think it is because i put about an inch of pine bark in the top of the pot a couple weeks ago. that combined with all the rain we've been having might account for the improvement in its' appearance. The lighter bloom is from plant number 2 (the one I bought as Papa gontier).

I think I'll put pine bark on that one also.

Cecily,
    I have a genuine Beaute Inconstante on the way, so I hope the flowers grow to a decent size in Florida. I'm beginning to understand how a single variable can noticeably impact a plant.