Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan4952

Turface or espoma soil perfect in bottom of pots.

susan4952
10 years ago

This is cal poly. Does anyone know why this is happening? And what it is? Overwatering? Mineral defficiency?
Only thing different this year is grit mixed in the bottom of the pots. Seems all the potted roses are exhibiting this disturbance. They are exfoliating FAST. They share a history of being soaked for longer than usual due to weather, but the tree roses and ground plantings do not have this and I
Use d the grit in the holes, too.
Any diagnosis would be greatly appreciated

Comments (9)

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jubillee celebration leaves

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another new baby.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

I suggest you check out an article on the link below. Scroll a little over half ways down to the "Soil Amendments" subheading & then click on the "container drainage" link

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Myths

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, but what should I do now to correct the problem....if that is the problem. The drainage holes are patent and I only added a smidge of the grit which is highly recommended. Are u suggesting that my H20 is perched? The additives were well mixed.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Could just be more stressful weather (extremes of heat, rain, whatever) than this time last year. I'd give them a hit of N and see how they respond.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And we have certainly had that, hoov. I am a regular feeder....of everything. I was thinking iron? Usually by this date I have done the alfalfa tea,to which I add iron and Epsom salts. I have not done that yet, due to crazy weather .

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

What do you mean by the drainage holes are "patent"?...... & "grit"?

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I think the leaves with yellow veins are dying because the soil is saturated so the roots can't get oxygen. The Jubilee Celebration leaf has a mineral deficiency. Is this a new leaf or an old leaf? Water-logging can also cause iron deficiency (symptoms appear on new leaves).

Even though they are recommended in old books and by recent writers who aren't paying attention, "drainage layers" in pots or the soil have the opposite effect and should never be used. However, if you mixed a little Turface with the bottom soil, I doubt it would have much effect.

A general rule is, avoid creating sharply defined layers or boundaries between soil types. These interfere with the natural movement of water through the soil. The pot itself is such a boundary, creating a saturated layer at the bottom. A "drainage layer" just moves this layer higher in the pot. However, with less watering or rain, the saturated layer will dry out enough to aerate after two or three days.

You can drain some of the excess water by touching your finger to a drain hole, breaking the surface tension, or by inserting a wick.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, all. I think I have a combination of issues.. I've read the previous posts regarding sharply defined layers. Pretty sure kitty moonbeam and MichaelG. My mix was homogenous with very little additive. When I use the word patent, I mean that the holes are open and draining freely. Surface tension is not an issue. I am going to repot and make sure the turface did not GLOB together. Thank you all....now if we could just get some nice weather.
    And grit is turface.
    And the Jubilee Celebration was a new leaf.