Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Planting a rose in the same hole another rose was removed from???

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

I have read in several books and articles that you should not plant a rose in a hole that once held another rose, at least for several years because the roots give off some sort of chemical that will cause the new rose not to prosper in that location?? Also it was said that should you attempt it you should replace all the soil in the surrounding area to prevent contamination? This all seems very extreme to me, have any of you experienced anything like this? I personally do not have enough garden space to just leave big gaps everywhere, or have less than desirable plants filling these places while I wait on the soil to filter these mysterious rose pheromones. It seems like most people on this forum wouldn't jive with that either ...... So, is this claim just bunk? I really hope it is .... I plan on moving a couple of roses next spring to make room for newer plants whom I would prefer to see in the star position. I would love any opinions or experiences on this topic! Thank you!

Jessica

Comments (12)

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

See the recent American Rose Society article on the subject.

http://www.ars.org/advances-in-understanding-rose-replant-disease/

Please keep in mind the old story about blind men that cannot move describing the elephant from where they are standing.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

As far as I know, Rose Replant Disease is a definite issue in Europe; I gather it's particularly bad in England,but I've read that it -supposedly-is less of a problem in the USA. However,in any case, I would strongly advise you to amend the old rose hole with lots of new organic matter, and I'd change the soil, too.Every time I dig up a rose to move it, I always get left with a big, empty hole anyway...bart

• buford
    9 years ago

I'm with Ken. As long as you prepare the hole as you would with a new hole, you should be fine. We aren't growing 'crops' of roses, but putting them in their permanent place. Unless the former rose was diseased, I don't see the need to replace the soil. Just add some new soil or amendments.

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

I wonder if it does not depend on the type of soil.(I have lots of clay) and possibly also on the temperature (the growth inhibitor may stay around longer in colder climates).

Title: "GROWTH INHIBITOR ACCUMULATES IN THE NUTRIENT SOLUTION OF CLOSED SYSTEM ROSE CULTIVATION"
    "See:
    http://www.actahort.org/books/697/697_66.htm

I follow Paul Zimmerman's advice.

http://paulzimmermanroses.com/care/planting-roses/rose-replant-disease/

-----------------------------------------------
    I recommend this summary:

http://www.marinrose.org/replantdisease.html

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

With my space constraints if I did that I'd never be able to plant another rose! I reuse holes all the time. I've never noticed any problem in doing so. I reuse pots and potting soils too. Same thing...no problems.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I reuse holes too... I figure if one rose grew well so would another one...

• Nori McKenna
    last year

Has anyone been successful planting 2 roses in the same hole?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

At the same time?

• james vellozzi
    last year

I have to admit that i have been trying to get 2 climbers, blaze improved & white dawn to grow in a location adjacent an arbor where i previously had a perfume breeze climber. i removed the perfume breeze because it never attained the height i wanted relative to the arbor. It was in the location for 3 years.

This spring i ammended the soil with lots of compost, manure etc, and yet these 2 roses ( mentioned above) have been sitting there for months now. It’s like they are just in idle. I’m baffled why they won’t break new canes, show any development. Roses nearby are all exhibiting some kind of growth / change post flowering in late May/ June.

i have read about this as well, but i suppose without scientific data to completely answer our questions, well I suppose we remain in the dark. Go ahead and make your changes and see what evolves. good luck.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year
    last modified: last year

First year sleep, second year creep, third year leap....or so goes the old adage concerning roses and climbers especially. I suspect your PB had not yet finished its leap phase unless it experiences die-back or just isnt a tall enough climber at best, and the same thing for your new climbers. They are an investment in time. How long have they been in this location?

When I was originally planning my arbour I started growing the climbers in pots to give them their sleep year while I building the structure. They could barewait to be out of their prisons!

• james vellozzi
    last year

I’ve read that perfume Breeze matures at about 6’ in height. I just got into climbing roses in the last 4-5 years so my knowledge is small. When i bought the perfume Breeze from home Depot i did not know what variety climber it was. That awful plant killing store just labeled it as a climber, and so I rescued the plant.

After 2 years of nice growth i finally figured out the name of the rose and was disappointed to learn it only tops out at about 6-8’ tall.

The white dawn and blaze improved werewe’re just planted this spring, April 2022. i certainly do not expect them to even reach 4-5’ but at least put on a few inches.

The reason I’m so baffled about there seemingly idle state is other roses newly planted first year this spring continue to show nice growth.

thanks so much.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!