Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliciadawn76

Looking for a climbing Rose.

Aliciadawn76
9 years ago

Hi! I'm in Florida zone 9 and I'm looking for a fast, and easy climbing Rose. I've never grown roses before but have tons of other flowers. I'm looking for something to grow over our garden entrance. I was looking at the Cecile Brunner, but was hoping someone could give me some advice, and other options before purchasing and planting. Please and thank you :)

Comments (6)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Cl. Cecile Brunner is a wonderful, vigorous, disease-free (in California at least) rose. BUT it is a house-eater, and it is a once-bloomer. It will have one immense spring explosion of bloom, and then just GROW.

Florida is such a unique environment, you really need recommendations from Floridians. (And there is, I think, a forum specifically for Florida gardeners.)

But I recommend that you also post your query on the Antique Roses Forum.

Good luck!

• Aliciadawn76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I'll do that! Thank you so much!

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Jeri gave you great advice. My Cl Cecile doesn't bloom enough to make me happy. More of a big bush rather than a lax, trainable climber

My two best climbers are Cl Clotilde Soupert and Rev d'Or.

Clotilde took a long time to even begin to bloom but has been well worth the wait. She did ball a lot the first two years she did bloom (after two or more of nothing!). Very few thorns, too. Now she blooms regularly with large fragrant pink/white clusters. Little balling even in our monsoonal rains. Very healthy in my no-spray garden and on own root. I love this rose so much that it will be in the first 2 or 3 I attempt to graft to fortuniana.

Rev is in a bad spot. Own root planted 4 feet from the trunk of a large long leaf pine. This is her third summer. Without a doubt, the most healthy foliage in my garden. Vigorous and building to her second flush this year, she has canes that reach 15 to 18 feet. If she survives the nematodes, I expect her to bloom much more often. Others say she is well perfumed, but I have not noticed more than a moderate scent. Some thorns, but no too bad. Healthy, healthy, healthy....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cl Clotilde

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

I really like Colette. Disease free and a delightful old-fashioned looking bloom. Color varies from apricot to warm pink.

• Aliciadawn76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! These are all beautiful! I'm kinda nervous so I think I'll research them all and see which one is best for me. I'm not to picky about scent or color. I think most all roses are beautiful. I'd like to go with the least demanding, since I'm new to roses. I'm also new to this forum so it's exciting to see responses, I didn't think I'd get any!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I'm not in Florida, but I think perhaps that most (if not all) of the Tea-Noisettes* would do well there. If you have root knot nematodes in your soil, look for them (and any other rose) grafted onto 'Fortuniana'.

*Note that many nurseries don't have the category of Tea-Noisette, and you'll find these roses under either Noisette or Climbing Tea. If you do an advanced search on HelpMeFind for Tea-Noisette, you'll find the roses that are put into this unofficial category. You can also take a look at Rogue Valley Roses' inventory of Tea-Noisettes to give you an idea.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea-Noisettes at Rogue Valley Roses

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area