Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminerose4u

Freaky Rive Gauche and Green Eyed Beauty Roses

Has anyone heard of green eyed roses? They look like that unusual green china rose that is all sepals, but they are dressed up in a skirt of pretty petals. Even though they are calling it "Green Eyed Beauty Garden Rose", apparently it is only available from florists. I spoke to the owner of Petals and Pop Flowers in CA and she said the "leaves" in the center keep growing so it might look funny as a garden rose. There is also a red rose with a green eye called "Rive Gauche". I can't find any information about the breeder.

This video was posted almost two years ago, so maybe this is old news. But I'm just starting out, so it's new to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Eyed Beauty Rose

Comments (15)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Not sure how long it will last, but my new Archduke Joseph is suffering from proliferation pretty bad. Personally I hope that faze passes quickly. Kind of freaky to see all that green in the center like that.

Maybe asking for roses that proliferate regularly will get you a non florist rose that otherwise grows well.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

EEEEEeeeeuuuwwww . . .

• roseseek
    9 years ago

These have been around a while, Bonnie. Anything "novel" is sure to find a market. Proliferation isn't new and occurs quite frequently. Sequoia raised a red mini with a proliferated center they considered using as a "premium" for magazine subscription sales. It was quite like their Red Germain, which was distributed by them as a free gift from Germain's Nursery. Mr. Moore related how he wanted to call the variety "Salad Bowl" (he was seldom good at naming roses but when he was, he was great), because it looked like a red bowl full of salad. It wasn't a very good rose which is why it didn't hang around very long. You can see images of Rive Gauche at the link below and at this address.

http://ubloom.com/blog/2011/07/28/the-flower-extravaganza%E2%80%A6-at-brannan-street/attachment/10/

I raised a seedling five or so years ago which was frequently rather interesting and attractive, which I tentatively called "Queen of the Desert" as it reminded me of a costume in the odd Australian movie, "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". Unfortunately, the plant wasn't very healthy so it has gone to the great "rose beyond". It's on HMF. Kim

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.63439

Here is a link that might be useful: Rive Gauche Rose

This post was edited by roseseek on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 0:19

• Seeingreen
    9 years ago

Interesting, the Rive Guache rose is so odd, thanks for sharing the link.

• nastarana
    9 years ago

There is a yellow serial proliferator also, named 'Toulouse Lautrec'.

Ick.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of proliferation before.

Kim, I checked out the photographs on HMF of Queen of the Desert. It's different than Rive Gauche, because of the red leaves. I like this picture in particular, but I hope not to see this on my regular roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Desert on HMF

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Other than being "odd," what does it have going for it?

I think that is ugly.

Kate

• buford
    9 years ago

When I see something like that in my yard, I cut it off.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Check out the green rose, maybe that is something odd you might like too. I hear this one does pretty good, I actually want one, and you can find people selling plants.

I am with buford, if I did not hope it was because it was such a vigorous growing band, the shovel would have come after Archduke Joseph. And then I discovered another rose doing it too. Also newer so I am giving them time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Rose

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do like the green rose. I saw it in a bouquet with Buttercream. I wish I took a photograph of the bouquet, because it was a beautiful combination. The exhibitor gave me 5 stems of the left overs and I tried to propagate it. I wasn't successful, but my cat and I enjoyed the blooms in a bowl for a while. It has a spicy, curry scent to me.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Not my cup of tea but if someone else likes it...to each their own.

I once had one proliferate on my Quietness and I didn't dead head it. eventually I had a bud form from the center of the first bloom that proliferated. That was odd looking!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Yup, that sometimes happens. My VI Fortuniana did something odd like that. Kim

{{gwi:310153}}
    {{gwi:310154}}
    {{gwi:310155}}
    {{gwi:310156}}{{gwi:310157}}
    {{gwi:310158}}{{gwi:310159}}

Here is a link that might be useful: bud in bloom

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Cool pics, Kim. Looks like the second bloom on yours was vegetative too. I wonder if it would have kept producing buds in the centers or not, lol! My second bloom was not vegetative but seemed normal.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thanks Sharon. I wasn't comfortable it wasn't viral. I shared the photos with Malcolm Manners, whose Fortuniana it is, and he confirmed it was something it could do during extreme vegetative activity. It was growing very quickly due to the temps and available water. I doubt it would have continued because while the temps remained, the water didn't. Kim

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I just found this one on HMF. Great Balls of Fire. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Balls of Fire