Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknrolltogo

Austin Roses Ordering Ideas

glamourpuss
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
I have been looking at all of the pictures of Austin roses and I have to say I'm hooked. I received their catalog but I don't think I want to order them all the way from England. Any ideas idea of some companies in the U.S. that I should check out. Do they deliver roses at this time of the year? Any recommendations for an Austin newbie?
Thanks a bunch, Sue

Comments (9)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Austin roses are sold some place in Texas--and at a number of other nurseries around the country. Check online at Austin's AMERICAN site (click on the USA flag)--if you order from them, it will come from whatever that place in Texas is (I just can't remember the name).

Most of their plants are grafted and sent bare-root--to be planted in early spring (like in March). However, you can get some of their roses own-root--I don't know how they are sent since I've never ordered one. I do know that when I order own-root Austins from Chamblees (also in Texas), they are sent to me in pots and just about ready to bloom. If they come that way, you can plant them just about any time you like during the growing season although spring is still the best time to do it.

The nurseries I order online from refuse to fill orders if it is too late to plant their roses--so if they say they quit accepting orders as of June 1, that tells you what they think is a good or bad time to plant roses.

If you go to your local garden centers, they sometimes also carry some Austins. I think those will always be in pots and presumably can be planted anytime. However, I wouldn't plant them later in the growing season since, in your zone 4, they need time to grow some good roots so they can survive winter.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you're in the US your rose will not come "all the way from England". They'll come from David Austin USA in Texas. But there are many other reputable nurseries in the US that carry the Austin roses as well. There may even be local nurseries in your area that carry them. You don't say where you are located or what zone you are in so I would not be able to recommend any particular ones.

• predfern
    10 years ago

I order all of my Austins from Roses Unlimited. They are own root.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austins at Roses Unlimited

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

I too order all my Austins at Roses Unlimited. I'm not sure your exact location, just noticed your zone is 4 so you may want to order closer to home, perhaps Heirloom roses?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses David Austin

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

You'll want to ask about hardiness in your zone. Not all of the Austin roses are winter hardy past zone 5-6. Also, ask over on the Antique Rose forum for other roses with similar characteristics that are hardy in zone 4.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

And be aware that if you order from Heirloom, you will get a tiny little "band" which needs to be nursed to transplant status, whereas if you order own root from Roses Unlimited or Chamblees, the rose comes in a decent sized pot and is far enough along in its development that it may actually be blooming when you get it. (Those two places do NOT mail "bands.")

Kate

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I purchased all of my Austins at local nurseries, some closer others a bit of a drive. But if I were you, I would visit the non box store nurseries in your area and ask if they sell them bare root in season (Seasons vary by zones)

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I don't have enough experience with own root roses to weigh in on the success of own root vs. grafted. I've grown only grafted David Austins, some from local nurseries, others purchased bare root from David Austin in Texas and also Regan in California. I've been pleased with the quality of plants from both.

In my experience I've found that the more mature the plant is and the longer time it grows in your garden during first summer, the better. Own root roses will be leafed out plants shipped to you in May so you lose out on some growing time. Often they are younger, smaller plants than bare root grafted plants will be. Having said that, I've received some very good sized own root plants from High Country roses in Colorado (not Austins though I see they do sell them).

If you order from David Austin directly, specify a shipping date, don't let them decide. This year they shipped my bare roots in May and that is way too late. I had a hard time keeping them alive in the warm weather.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Yes, unless you are in a zone 4 with an unusually hot and long growing season, grafted Austins will do much better than own-root. It just takes the own-roots too long to establish and grow.

I've also had bad experiences with Austin in Texas and shipping dates. They have no clue. Bareroots should be planted when it is still cold out. Not after it's warmed up.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County