Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

My word! Fortuniana really PUSHES!

roseseek
9 years ago

I've been budding quite a few things on Cardinal Hume, IXL, Pink Clouds and Fortuniana the past several weeks and just discovered something rather startling. I agree this might be able to be attributed to the particular variety, perhaps even the particular bud, but a bud from a seedling a friend shared with me, which I budded on June 4 to a piece of VI Fortuniana I rooted in January of this year has produced this "maiden" in the past month!
{{gwi:310505}}
This is a bud of Annie Laurie McDowell I inserted on June 16, also on the VI Fortuniana.
{{gwi:310506}}
The buds on Pink Clouds, Hume and IXL-VI are all green, but none have shown the push those on Fortuniana have.
{{gwi:310507}}
{{gwi:310508}}
I found this rather amazing and thrilling! Kim

Comments (16)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Yes, I've been raving about fortuniana for some time. Think I should try that as my rootstock? I really want to bud Louise Catherine Breslauâ¦She is not big enough yet but next spring, hopefully.
    Also, all my fort roses survived the polar vortex etc. without special protection.
    I've got two Annie Laurie's own root who are doing quite well but would love them on fort.
    Susan

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Cool deal Kim on the awesome push of fortuniana !

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Wow!

I might have to sneak a few cuttings of the neighbors plant to see if I can root it

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I also just noticed the Golden Angel X R. Californica nana buds on VI-IXL are pushing growth, too. I hadn't budded on Fortuniana before, but it is very similar to Pink Clouds chip budding, except the bark is quite a bit more fragile and tends to shred easily, as Malcolm warned. It doesn't root as quickly as Pink Clouds and demands quite a bit more heat to push growth and roots as newly rooted cuttings than Pink Clouds does. Plus, I find it easier to grow Pink Clouds to a more substantial diameter cane than Fortuniana, but with this kind of result, this quickly, I'm thinking I should push my Fortuniana to put out faster. What will I do with the Fortuniana Annie Laurie McDowell? Who the heck knows? I budded them, and the ones on Pink Clouds, to see if I could (I'd never tried before and finding suitable buds is more of an issue with her than with many others) and how quickly they would demonstrate their willingness to grow. But, who thinks that far ahead when it concerns roses? We just DO it and figure it out later, right?

Susan, I would say "go for it", except, you're zone pushing. That can work for quite a few years until it doesn't. How willing are you to potentially lose all the more valuable roses in your garden to an anomalous winter? Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 22:32

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Kim, I've wondered why Burling's mother plant of Annie Laurie McDowell isn't budded so that she could take cuttings more often. Perhaps she doesn't have time. I'm grateful you gave the propagation material to her. My own-root ALMD is growing great in this heat and looking very graceful. Thanks for sharing what you do.

This is ALMD when I first received her as a band on 5-28-2014.

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:37

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

And here she is less than seven weeks later on 7-7-2014.

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:58

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I've been wanting to try some fort. here but after last winter i'm really hesitant. I sure wish it was more winter hardy though because I'd love to see my roses grow that quick with my short season!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I honestly don't know why Burling hasn't budded a plant of ALmD, Bonnie. She probably just has too many balls in the air to add one more. You know how difficult it is to keep everything moving when you do it all by yourself. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

She amazes me with all she has and does

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me too! Kim

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Kim, yes, I guess you are right re: Zone pushing. I have a very sheltered garden and the fort climbers are near walls or good fences. But I do worry about losing them. I guess I'm just one of those flighty folks who gathers my rosebuds while I may for tomorrow may never comeâ¦.
    And with growth this fast (my Reve who came in April has 10 ft canes) I guess I can always replace themâ¦
    I figure RRD is going to get me eventually but damn the torpedoes!
    XO
    Susan

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Probably 1/2 of my garden is on fortuniana root stock. I was worried with last winter's cold (0 & 4 on consecutive mornings and a lot of ice and hard freezes) but I lost no fortuniana rootstock. I had to cut a few bush's down tight but they came back with nice basil canes right away. The roses that died were on Dr Huey. I'm going to start budding my own stuff on Fortuniana again. I did it in FL and had good success. Now that I'm sure Fortuniana will survive a hard winter for me, I will go back to what I did in FL. Good, select budwood + good rootstock usually means a great bush. I will be a little picky about my budwood.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

Seil,

My name is Steven, I'm "new", but a lurker for a couple of years.

I've had one experience (not as long as I had hoped) with 'Medallion' on Fort as a teen (!!!) when my grandparents had brought me a rose back with them one spring from Florida.
    Knowing nothing of the methods of budding at that time, nor how Fort tends to be "chip" budded due to splintery bark (if I have properly processed some of the incredible and invaluable knowledge and experiences on this forum), I buried the WHOLE shank so that only canes of Medallion were showing. Surprisingly enough, that bugger lived (oh the utter stupidity of trying to transplant roses in November here) for three years and did push forth about torso high (I'm 5'8") growth. Now, Medallion is known for big, apricot blooms, but the ones from this Fort grafted one astonished me. Loved their unique fragrance. Good health overall for me.
    The Fort did sucker, but it was one of those slender, trailing thorn whip types.
    I have learnt much first hand, and am finally getting back with the plants I adore.
    I'd definitely try Fort in the ground here again, but I love to push a little.

Steven

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Here are buds of Korde's Brilliant budded 9/04 on a big potted Fortuniana. I just started budding & am getting good results.

• buford
    9 years ago

I am dying to try some roses on fort. From what I've read, it's just a much more robust root structure so it can push the scion to new levels. It's also preferred here in the south. There are a few nurseries that sell it, I will be trying to get there this winter. I actually have a fort plant in my yard. It used to be Touch of Class....