Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Another question for Kate (Dublin Bay)

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

Kate - Even though I've seen pictures of your beautiful roses and love it every time I see them, I have a question about one rose in particular. In the border in front of your neighbor's garage, I believe you stated you had hybrid teas and hybrid perpetuals planted there, they all look lovely, but there is one in particular that looks lavender on my computer screen, I would love to know what rose that is if you don't mind. TIA

Comments (10)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After I looked at the picture again and read your description, you stated Mrs. John Laing was the light pink one, so I think that may be the one I mean.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

I noticed the Mrs. John Laing rose too. Kate, I love your photographs. I could get lost in that garden for hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. John Laing on HMF

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Yes, the light pink rose which sometimes appears somewhat lavender is the hybrid perpetual Mrs. John Laing. I think some computer screens make her a bit more lavender than she really is, however.

Mrs. John Laing--gorgeous blooms
    {{gwi:310551}}

But not always the most graceful form. Quite awkward, at times, in fact.
    {{gwi:310552}}

Fortunately, Mrs. John Laing blends in nicely with the tall hybrid teas on either side of her, but I would not want her placed where her form (total bush) drew a lot of attention--because she is rather shapeless.

And she may be an OGR, but she is one of the most BS plagued roses in my garden--not really bad, but not as resistant as most of my HTs and other shrubs are.

But her blooms are beautiful.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate - Thank you so much for the description and pictorial of Mrs. John Laing. She looks beautiful in your picture with the other roses and she's one I have on my list already. Her blooms are gorgeous. Your info about her has been helpful, thanks.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Hope you don't mind if I butt in on this thread but I just want to tell Kate how beautiful her Buff Beauty, queen of Sweden and the red rose bush in her garden, I can't remember the name, ugh, they are so pretty and your whole garden is inspiring. And I am referring to the pics of your garden that you posted on another thread. I had to stop reading that thread because it really annoyed me that someone demanded you post pics of your garden and then was soo rude after you so graciously posted some beautiful pics and you your self had been so nice. Anyways thanks for sharing your pics. Buff beauty is on my maybe list and it's nice to see one that someone is growing. Thanks for sharing your beautiful and enchanting garden with us!

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 11:01

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the nice comments about my garden.

Boncrow--Buff Beauty is a terrific rose, a BIG sprawler, so do check out her dimensions if you decide to plant her (like 8 or 10 ft wide!). Of her beauty, there is no question. I adore her.

The red rose bush in my garden was the modern shrub rose Braveheart--one of my favorites. She has a bit of Austin in her ancestry (Dark Lady).

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boncrow - I don't mind at all. Kate's roses and other plantings are beautiful, her garden is very inviting. I agree with you about Buff Beauty and Queen of Sweden and all her lovely roses.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Yes Braveheart! I like how it spills out onto the path, very pretty. I have room for Buff Beauty to sprawl out so that wouldn't be a problem. But do you think it could take a shady that gets morning sun until about 1 but mainly shade after that? I not I might have to move some things around for her.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

You are in luck, boncrow. Buff Beauty is one of the few roses that does fine with some shade, especially protection from the afternoon sun which can scald some roses. Your situation sounds perfect.

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Great, glad to hear that about BB. I am thinking it would be pretty flanking each side of the stairs leading to my deck, there is space for something tall and wide there. I have also been think of Gruess an Achean (sp?) for that spot.