Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Marriotta

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

This one is kinda special for a couple of reasons. One, I've been wanting it for several years but it proved to be elusive to find. And two, it came from a GW forum friend who remembered I'd been looking for it and managed to snag me one at an auction she was at. Bless you!

It's grown considerably since i got it and has bloomed several times already. I love the white edging and the little points on the petals!

{{gwi:310560}}

{{gwi:310561}}

{{gwi:296786}}

Comments (23)

• charleney
    9 years ago

wow that is a beauty!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Beautiful Seil, your words as well as the flower. Mine is new and special too, propagated by a friend. It is doing well in the heat of summer considering it is so young. I hope yours will do well for you next winter.

I looked at the photographs of Marriotta rose on HMF and I don't see one that shows the yellow stamens and glowing center quite like your third photo. I also like the sepals on the first photograph. Both are fabulously unique and would be a great addition.

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 20:49

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Drop dead gorgeous! That is the prettiest pink I have ever seen.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Seil - That is so pretty, I can understand why you wanted it, I love it!

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Just curious.....where would you be able to find this rose?

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

Fantastic

9 years ago

Boncrow66, Marriotta is a lovely miniature rose and the flowers last a long time on the bush. But it is no longer in commerce in the United States that I'm aware. The Heather Farm sells it online, but they only ship within Canada. My sister lives near the Canadian border and I have relatives in Canada, so I was seriously thinking of researching the possibility of legally bringing the rose in. But then I found out that some rose societies still have the rose in their collection (I hear it's a favorite at rose shows) and that sometimes they have auctions. Mine held a raffle and many tickets later...

UPDATE: I stand corrected, the rose is in commerce now. So if someone is interested in this rose, please read entire thread.

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 23:48

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Seil, thanks for sharing; Marriotta really is special. One of my favorites of this year's new roses.

I got mine from Palatine this spring. They've had it for at least the past two years, and it sells out quickly.

I wish I got a picture of mine a week ago, it had twice the blooms of this earlier photo. The color is not great on this but I wanted to show a whole bush image. The blooms last a long time and dropped cleanly, with new buds forming right away. Non stop color, and so unique!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

That is a pretty rose.

It is true that when you really look at a rose, you can see small things that make it very special.

Sammy

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Thanks Seil, it is obvious this is a special rose. I'm glad I got to see your beautiful photos and will have to be content with the pictures for now.
    Ratdog your full bush shot is beautiful too! It's always nice to see how the whole shabang looks and it is truly beautiful. Thanks to you and Seil I will now be dreaming of Marriotta :). Sounds like this beauty is not easy to come by so I am glad you both were able to finally find one for your garden, thanks for sharing your pics.

9 years ago

Ratdogheads, I'm so glad Marriotta is in commerce now as it deserves. I stand corrected. It was bred in 1989 by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV, so I guess you could say it is an old, new rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marriotta on HMF

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone!

This rose always generates a lot of interest. I don't know why it isn't more readily available. There were a few paces that carried it originally but it was ALWAYS sold out when I checked them. If Palatine has it order it early!

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I cannot believe something so exquisitely beautiful is not available in the US and is so hard to find. I have been thinking about this rose all day, I even snap shotted it to my phone so I could look at and show my rose buddy at work. I am going to call Palatine and ask when they will have it available again and hopefully I will be able to order it, I'm just worried about how much shipping from Canada would cost. I don't have any mini's but your pic has sparked my interest and I may have to try some in a pot to see how I fair at growing them. Thanks for the beautiful pics Seil and ratdog and for enabling to another rose :).

9 years ago

Boncrow66, I noticed Burlington Roses is listed as a source on HMF for Marriotta. Perhaps you could email Burling (Burlingtonroses at aol.com) and ask if she has it or if she could put you on a waiting list.

Burling uses USPS so shipping is very reasonable and the roses get there quickly.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Jasmine, thanks for the info, I will check that out today.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

I'm a little late in seeing this post, but just wanted to say that is one precious looking mini!!!

9 years ago

Good news! I received this message from Burling:

--- On Fri, 7/11/14

Subject: Re: Marriotta rose
    Date: Friday, July 11, 2014, 8:09 PM

Hi Bonnie,
    I am growing
    Marriotta and will have
    available this coming fall.

Thank you,

Burling Leong

Burlington Rose Nursery
    24865 Rd 164
    Visalia, CA 93292
    (559) 747-3624

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Jasminerose is your name Bonnie too? I emailed them today also and got the same message. I was excited to hear they will have it available.

9 years ago

Hi Bonnie, aka boncrow66
    Yes, my name is Bonnie too :)

Was Burling able to put you on a waiting list? Seil's beautiful pictures might spark a bit of interest.

Marriotta is carefree in my garden and a definite favorite of mine. I hope it does well for you too.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Nice to meet you Bonnie aka jasminerose4u! I didn't ask to be on a waiting because I didn't know if she would do that but I am going to call her and I will ask, I have a few questions, imagine that lol. I don't meet many other Bonnie's so it was funny to see your post with the exact email lol. I'm glad to hear you have had good success with your Mariotta. Don you think she would do well grown in a pot?

9 years ago

Bonnie:
    Yes, Marriotta will grow very well in a pot. I have friends that grow all thier miniatures in very large plastic pots. They starts them off in small pots and graduate them to larger as they mature. Seil, who posted the photographs of Marriotta, grows hers in pots too. What zone are you in? If you have harsh winters, they need protection during that time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Roses in pots

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad I sparked interest in the little gem! I think it should be more widely grown.

Yes, I grow all my minis in pots and they do great. If you're in a cold zone though you'll need to have a good way to winter protect them.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I'm in zone 8 in East Texas so we don't have really harsh winters. We do get below freezing but not a lot and it's easy to move pots in the garage during those times it does freeze. Seril I'm glad you did post that picture! It's funny how one certain rose can capture your heart thru a picture.