Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dntquilter

Second Pic of Good as Gold

DNTQuilter
10 years ago

Tiny blooms, but what else can one expect from a rose just coming out of dormancy?

Scott in PA

Comments (13)

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

it is a beautiful rose, congratulations! :-)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

My Good As Gold has tiny blooms that open over night. It reminds me of a zinnia. I hope it improves or it is going to be Good As Gone!

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Kentucky_rose -- I'm not waiting for mine to improve. It's soon to be Gone, and that's Good. (PS My zinnias are FAR superior.)

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that's what mine did too. Opened overnight. It lasted the day, and looks ok for tomorrow too. I don't hold my breath for it lasting much longer though.

Scott in PA

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I almost bought Good as Gold this year, but decided against it since I already have several with similar colors. Instead, I got Coretta Scott King...she's unimpressive so far, but just a baby so waiting to see what she becomes in time. Some of my favorite roses were real duds their first year (and sometimes their second). I already had a replacement in mind for Singin' the Blues which was new to me last year and one of my worst first year roses ever...but she's been blooming her little head off all of this year and blooms are lasting much longer on the bush (last year I was lucky if they lasted a couple of hours). I don't think I'll be replacing her now. Pic below is from this morning:
    {{gwi:310597}}

• bunnicula03
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, pat_bama! This is the first pic I've seen that makes me think I really might want this rose!

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat that is gorgeous. Adding her to my wish list. You can be so glad that you didn't spade prune her.

Scott

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Scot! I like that bold color.

Pat, that Singin the Blues is lovely! I got Love Song this season and it looks very similar. It's been healthy and blooming well but the jury is still out.

You should never judge a rose by it's first year performance whether it's bare root, band or potted. It takes a rose a good three years to come to maturity where ever you plant it. I've had roses that were gorgeous their first year and then progressively grew backwards and ones that were complete dogs the first year and then turned out to be great! Give them time to prove themselves one way or the other.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Sat. I sp'd Good As Gold and no regrets!

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kentucky Rose,

Why?

Scott in PA

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

I wasn't willing to wait 3+ years with no guarantee that the bloom would look like the picture in the catalog. There was no problem with the bush. It was thriving and growing extremely well. I can't even say that the bud was pretty--it just opened up that fast! If I wanted zinnias, I'd plant zinnias and they would last a lot longer.

• DNTQuilter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KT_Rose,

I understand, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Scott in PA

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input on the roses everyone, it's valuable advice and comments