Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

The Right Cultivation equals beautiful hybrid teas

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

With all the lively discussion about hybrid tea and shrub roses, it got me to thinking about several years back when my dear late husband started helping me grow roses. This man had never grown anything but vegetables, which he dearly loved to grow and teased me about growing something that you couldn't eat. But he knew I loved roses and he loved me, so he helped me a lot to achieve having roses more beautiful than I could imagine. This was in the early 2000's up until around 2006, I had some beautiful roses during that time. Due to other obligations and caring for him because of his ill health I had to put my rose growing on hold, I didn't have the time to care for them at all, that is why I literally started over last year. We had a terrible drought during that time also, which didn't help.

As you can see in the picture, while the actual design isn't the greatest, it's easy to see how healthy these roses are. This was accomplished by amending the soil with cow manure and compost. If you can see the blooms of the bright pink roses in front of the house, which are Miss All American Beauty, I know some of those blooms measured 8 inches across. I had some nice roses for several years before this, but it was obvious to me he knew exactly what he was doing and I am confident that I can achieve these results again, not just once, but year after year. I'm showing this because I have seen first hand how with the right cultivation I think most of us can grow beautiful hybrid teas or any other type of rose. Some of the varieties shown in this picture are Queen Elizabeth, Dublin, Folklore, a glimpse of Olympiad, Pink Peace, Midas Touch, Spice Twice, Miss All American Beauty, Kardinal and Bewitched.

Comments (13)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Hey Sara Ann! What a sweet sweet story! You obviously have a green thumb and obviously your technique works great! You have some gorgeous roses and I am so thankful you and everyone else here takes the time to share our beautiful hobby we all have and love! Take care, Judy

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

What healthy, lush and beautiful roses you grow, Sara-Ann. I hope mine looks like yours someday. They look just fantastic!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

You (and your husband ) obviously have mastered the art of growing hybrid teas. And you have so many lovely ones. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Well done Sara Ann!

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Lovely! You story remind me of a garden in Vienna, VA of a lovely couple. I saw them working on the roses in their front yard on their roses from time to time. Their roses were spectacular. How nice to care for you roses with your loved once! In that sense, roses can be a true extension of who we are as persons and how we live.

Again, beautiful roses!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words and compliments. Judy and Kousa, I wish you both the best with your roses. Kate - I appreciate your rose wisdom so much. There are several very helpful people on here and I appreciate you all, but you and Seil really stand out as being encouraging, while also being honest. You both have been so helpful to me. Jim, I always appreciate you, you are great! And thank you farmerduck, that is a very nice sentiment.

Something I might add about the roses in the picture above, is that I had planted both Spice Twice and Midas Touch a few years earlier and neither of them were thriving. My husband dug them up, placed the roots in a bucket of water for what I believe was about a month, in fact I think we were away on vacation during part of that time. He transplanted them in the spot shown in the picture, they both thrived after that and gave me lots of beautiful blooms for several years.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:50

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

' he knew I loved roses, and he loved me...' Touched my heart. Thank you for sharing the beautiful rose pics, and, especially , the sweet story.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Beautiful story and beautiful roses, Sara Ann! I always love reading your posts and seeing pictures of your pretty garden and bouquets.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Martinca and Pat, very sweet of you both. Pat, your roses are some of the most beautiful and healthiest I've seen and I hope your Japanese Beetle problem is resolved soon. I also enjoy your posts very much.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann thanks for sharing your love story, my husband and I like to garden together as well. I love seeing all of your pics you post of your beautiful roses and hearing your good advice. It's nice that you have memories of your husband in your garden.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story and roses with us, Sara! I agree with you that it's all about how much any of us are willing to put in. It's obvious that you give all your garden great TLC.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful story and SaraAnn your roses are so healthy and blooming machines. I really enjoy your posts and look forward to them. All of your hard work is right there for us all to seeâ¦beautiful blooms. Lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Seil and Lesley. Both of you are very special ladies. Lesley, I've been wondering how your roses are doing this year?

Boncrow - Thank you too. I've been enjoying you very much on this forum and appreciate you.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 9:36