Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babera_gw

anyone grow Iceberg

babera
9 years ago

I just ordered 3 of these from Heirloom Roses. It's been a long time since I grew roses (past renter). I did some research on this particular rose and from what I have read it gets rave reviews. Constant bloomer, pest/disease free, fragrant, likes sun to part shade.

I was just wondering if anyone has/had these and can give me some input (good, bad and ugly). I'm particularly curious as to how long they take to bloom and how fast they grow.

Comments (9)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Hi Babera:
    In my neighborhood in southern California, it's easier to ask who doesn't grow iceberg roses than not. Even though it's commonly grown, I wanted a hedge of iceberg of my own, because it is beautiful. It reminds me of snow which is at least a visual relief in the 100 degree heat we are having. I have it in the worst spot under the shade of a tree and it blooms and blooms. It grows nicely. On my bushes, some of the stems grow long and irregularly in all directions. As Kim Rupert wrote in his article, "Poor Old Iceberg", the canes "dance" in the wind. In my neighborhood, I see mature bushes about 5 feet tall, but everything is supersized in southern California. Jeff Worthman, a landscape architect has a nice detailed video on iceberg. He lives in northern California. The only thing that surprised me about the video is that he said iceberg likes to be fed, because it blooms so much. IâÂÂm sure iceberg would appreciate rose food just as any other rose, but I donâÂÂt think it demands more than any other rose. It is care-free and doesnâÂÂt demand much of anything. Other than dead heading, I do little for it. In fact, when people ask me what roses I grow, sometimes I forget to mention it. Poor old iceberg! ItâÂÂs so dependable. It did get slight mildew for me in early spring, but my plants are young and it disappeared when the weather became warm and after I gave it a good spray of water. Do you see them where you live? Hopefully someone in zone 5 can answer this post too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Wortham on Iceberg video

9 years ago

Here is a link to Kim Rupert's excellent article on Iceberg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poor Old Iceberg by Kim Rupert

• babera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, that's a good article and video, Thanks jasmine. I did some reading on it after finding it via a google search. Before I placed my order I read up on it and then decided to make the purchase.

I'm in the early stages of making a white island bed in the back of my yard and I'm having a hard time finding flowers that will stand up to overhead watering (underground sprinklers) and have long bloom times.

I'm so happy now and cant wait to get my 3 new babies. They will be a nice addition to the white bed.

9 years ago

There is a comment on HMF on the photo tab from someone who grows iceberg in zone 5. They said it is a superb rose. This forum and that site are very helpful to people like us who are just starting out.

Sounds like your garden will be lovely. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I have an Iceberg in my zone 5 Nebraska and I can attest that it's a trouble free rose for me. In fact, I have it in my zone 4 pocket on the east side of the house and most years it has surviving cane even there (but not this last bitter cold year). It's not nearly as big as I thought it would be - most years it doesn't get above 3 feet. I'd put it at the back of the bed thinking it would be as big as posted on hmf, but that was for California sizes I suspect.

My only downside is that it doesn't seem to rebloom all that frequently for me where I have it, but there's part shade in that section of the yard that might account for it. Regardless, it should be a pretty trouble free rose for you, and Montana doesn't get much blackspot to worry about. Digger Dave used to post here on GW from Montana, and he said he really never saw much blackspot on his roses there.

Have fun with your Icebergs and we always love before and after pictures of rose areas!

Cynthia

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I did not post earlier in hopes some one more local would have info and am glad to see others in similar zones post.

Iceberg is the common rose here in SoCal and I love them. I have some that grow on a hot hillside and others that grow in almost total shade. They might get some mildew but it does not seem to bother them in the long run. Probably the more you water and fertilize the more blooms you will get, but guessing that is pretty typical of most anything one might plant other than natives and cactus.

I just got a Cl Iceberg and look forward to seeing it grow under the giant oak trees shade. I am sure it will.

• clax66
    9 years ago

I planted iceberg beside my back deck last summer because I heard it was such an easy rose. It has been relatively carefree but as per Cynthia's comments, mine has been a little slow to rebloom. (But I also confess that I only fed it once with fertilizer this summer).

Mira

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

In have been trying to decide on a rose tht tolerates shade and will still bloom. Iceberg seems to fit the bill perfectly.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link to that wonderful article about it!