Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses Petals: What do you do with them?

Posted by luvblueroses (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 19:58

Last year one of my friends got married and there were dozens and dozens of roses . One thing she also wanted was rose petals for the flower girl and just to place around. I would have used some of my own but they werent ready at the time she got married. I was lucky enough to find a website http://www.freshrosepetals.com that carries various rose petals. Do you do anything with your Rose petals? Sometimes I just put them in a dish on tables.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Petals

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses Petals: What do you do with them?

Once upon a time when I cared for over 300 roses in my then garden, I would use the spent petals to make pot pourri. I'm sure if you asked for the recipe on here someone would provide it for you. It's really quite simple, and bags of it make great Christmas gifts.

o

I toss mine in the flowerbed, compost pile, or yard to be mowed over with the mulching blades. If anyone asks for petals, I hand them a bag and tell them to get busy. If you live close enough to me you can come by and get all you wish.

o

Feed the soil

o

A little potpourri, 2-3 cups a month for cooking, compost, and mulch with the ones that hit the ground.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 18:23

Compost!

o

Mostly they go in the trash, but sometimes my house bunnies get lucky when I'm deadheading. I don't spray so it's safe. They really enjoy them (as I'm sure most of you know first hand, sorry about that) and then after they have rosey breath ;-)

o

Hi all hope everyone is having a great early Tuesday. I see its a true variety of what people do with rose petals. Roseman that sounds like a very good idea for x-mas gifts.

o

I wanted to just edit my posted but couldnt find away. Does anyone have a recipe for Pot pourri?

o

Hey all just wanted to share this website that I found for Pot Pourri recipes http://www.easy-homemade-recipes.com/potpourri.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Several years ago, before I retired, a fellow employee, knowing I grew roses, asked me if I could bring him some rose petals for his wife to make potpourri. "Sure" I said and proceeded to bring him four large paper shopping bags full of rose petals. Aside from being flabbergasted, he never asked me for rose petals again.

o

Funny story Karl. It is kind of like asking a veggie gardener if they have any extra zuchini. Or here, mangos, grapefruit or avacados.

o

If you tap those you are about to deadhead and everything is dry the petals will fall to the ground and you deadhead what's left. They are colorful and add to the mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here